Bombarding everyone with IRV information

  • nathanlarson3141
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2006
      Well, my friend Patrick Quinn, who was an IRV activist for awhile with
      the Virginia Greens, told me I should just keep bombarding people with
      IRV-related messages. But having emailed Russ Potts, Vince Callahan,
      William Barlow, John Chichester, and Scott Lingamfelter, I think I'm
      running out of people to bombard, unless, of course, I want to email
      all 100 Delegates, all 40 Senators, the Governor, the Lieutenant
      Governor, and the Attorney-General, as well as the Supervisors for
      each of Virginia's 95 counties, and the elected members of the
      executive and legislative branches of each of Virginia's 39
      independent cities, in addition to the elected officials for all of
      Virginia's 190 incorporated towns, the three members of the State
      Board of Elections, and the League of Women Voters and other local
      civic organizations in this Commonwealth.

      Saaaaay.....

      Is there anyone who would like to divide up this work with me?
    • nathanlarson3141
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2006
        Oh yeah, I forgot that towns, cities, and counties can't use IRV
        until the Virginia Code is changed. OK so that eliminates a lot of
        the people I was thinking of bombarding.

        --- In InstantRunoffVA@yahoogroups.com, "nathanlarson3141"
        <nathanlarson3141@...> wrote:

        > Well, my friend Patrick Quinn, who was an IRV activist for awhile
        with
        > the Virginia Greens, told me I should just keep bombarding people
        with
        > IRV-related messages. But having emailed Russ Potts, Vince
        Callahan,
        > William Barlow, John Chichester, and Scott Lingamfelter, I think
        I'm
        > running out of people to bombard, unless, of course, I want to
        email
        > all 100 Delegates, all 40 Senators, the Governor, the Lieutenant
        > Governor, and the Attorney-General, as well as the Supervisors for
        > each of Virginia's 95 counties, and the elected members of the
        > executive and legislative branches of each of Virginia's 39
        > independent cities, in addition to the elected officials for all
        of
        > Virginia's 190 incorporated towns, the three members of the State
        > Board of Elections, and the League of Women Voters and other local
        > civic organizations in this Commonwealth.
        >
        > Saaaaay.....
        >
        > Is there anyone who would like to divide up this work with me?

      • leesandw
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2006
          I wonder how Patrick decided on that strategy.
          IMHO, few politicians will do anything about an issue until they
          think:
          1- that there is is a local base of support that can be expected ro
          provide lots of backup support for the issue. (A politicians cannot
          do much on their own besides schedule a hearing. They want to know
          there will be lots of supporters providing all the rhetoric for them
          to consider, and for the press to cover. (I've seen politicians
          introduce IRV bills and admit at the hearing that they themselves
          didn't really know what was so great about IRV)

          2- If IRV is getting in the news, politicians will want to be part of
          it. To get a significant effect from "bombarding" them, you need a
          large organization to help gather the pounds of letters that get
          attention.

          In truth, not that many people (except politicians) think that IRV
          reform will affect them enough to make it a major priority. But
          newspapers have been very responsive. If your write letters-to-
          editors or give them something to cover, they will print it.

          The advantage of media coverage is that everly article helps all
          levels of IRV. At this point, you have no way of knowing what will
          become an issue in Virgina first: local, state or national reform.

          Just don't hold your breath on succeeding by the people on this list
          emailing elected politicians. After the election, they are too busy
          concentrating on the issues that helped them get elected, they won't
          want to prioritize a new issue.

          However, if you were to plan an info meeting somewhere, put it int
          he event section of the paper, and write a letter to an editor that
          week.you might get some new people with extra time. I could send you
          some T-shirts to distribute at the meeting and some great flyers
          featuring already printed IRV stories elsewhere. When you have a
          group that can meet in person, you can schedule a rally or something
          to get a photo-op.
          -Sand

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1, 2006
            Is there anyone in or near the Fauquier area who would be interested
            in collaborating on this project (setting up a local info meeting)?

            If someone in a nearby community (e.g. Manassas or Culpeper) would
            like to set up such a meeting there, I can help (or at least
            attend). If no one responds, I may just do this in Fauquier, since
            that's my community.

            Any thoughts on the best venues and ways in which to do this? I
            haven't had experience dealing with the practical aspects of
            arranging this kind of thing.

            --- In InstantRunoffVA@yahoogroups.com, "leesandw" <states@...>

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 1, 2006
              The rallies & events I helped with were usually organized around some
              other big event like a hearing or council meeting. Next week's
              election could be good enough. It's a lot easier with two+ people to
              share the chores.
              brainstormed idea if something else doesn't pop up:
              1- plan two events, perhaps before and after the election. You could
              reserve a library meeting room or use a pizza/coffe shop if they have
              room. (some restaurants have unused banquet rooms that they will let
              you reserve on a weekday)
              1- Its possible a minor political party or campus group like PIRG
              will agree to sponsor it and have the event with their meeting
              2- Get event submitted/listed in communtiy calendar of local
              newspapers, hopefully with a website and phone # for info.
              3- Try to get the event announced on local politics listserves and
              blogs
              "Learn about and helg get IRV election reform in Virginia, already
              passed in these other cities and nations"
              4-If you can talk to reporters or at least send press releases, thats
              the real potential, even for weekly minor papers. They may want to
              interview you or attend the meeting to make it a story, especially
              around the election. They want examples of how things could be
              different if we had IRV already.
              5- this is is also a good time to try to get an IRV op-ed in a local
              paper, in which you will be able to announce the meeting. You can
              borrow from existing op-eds or get help online.
              6- Once you have several people active in the same city on the same
              listserve, you're practically over-the-hump. Then you can schedule
              events like a rally or a night everyone appears at city council to
              make a ruckus and get a photo in the paper.

              You basically missed this campaign season, but if there are any close
              3+-way way races and a lot of time this week, another strategy is to
              get a candidate's campaign office to do all the work of promoting hte
              event and getting their supporters their this weekend for a photo-op.

              Does that sound easy enough? (heh-heh)
              -Sand