VIRV goals

  • nathanlarson3141
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2006
      I thought it would be good to set goals for the new organization,
      Virginians for Instant Runoff Voting. Please let me know if you have
      any suggestions. Some examples might be:

      Short-term goals (0-2 years):
      1) Introduce a bill in the General Assembly to authorize a pilot
      project in which several local governments would be allowed to conduct
      elections by Instant Runoff Voting. Obtain opinions on the proposed
      language from allied political organizations (FairVote, Greens,
      Libertarians, etc.) before submitting a draft bill to legislators.
      2) Make significant progress toward instituting IRV in student
      government elections in at least two of Virginia's colleges and
      universities (other than UVA, which already uses it).
      3) Conduct IRV outreach and education (e.g. county fair booths,
      letters to newspapers, the website, etc.)
      4) Recruit supporters from around the Commonwealth. Gather signatures
      and contact information via an online pro-IRV petition.
      5) Elect officers, directors, and advisory committee members.

      Medium-term goals (2-5 years):
      1) Pass the IRV pilot project bill. Promote the project's success by
      identifying towns, cities, and counties ripe for IRV implementation;
      conducting outreach and educational activities in those areas; and
      obtaining full participation by as many local governments as the
      statute will allow.
      2) Successfully institute IRV in student elections at two or more
      Virginia colleges and universities.

      Long-term goals (5+ years):
      1) Pass a bill allowing local governments to use IRV on a permanent
      basis prior to the expiration of the IRV pilot project statute.
      2) Pass a bill to use IRV in House of Delegates and Senate elections,
      in preparation for an eventual shift to multi-seat district single
      transferable vote elections.
      2) Pass an amendment to the Virginia Constitution authorizing the use
      of IRV in Governor, Lt. Governor, and Attorney General elections.
      3) Participate in the nationwide movement to elect the President by
      the national instant runoff vote. This could be done by an interstate
      compact or by an amendment to the U.S. Constitution.