Let's get going in Virginia!

  • Dan Johnson-Weinberger
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 7, 2001
      Hi all,

      There are seven of us on this list now (and at most, five from
      Virginia). Let's get this thing rolling!

      We need a bill introduced. Anybody know a state legislator who can
      introduce a bill?

      We need to get more people on this list. To do that, ask people to
      visit www.groups.yahoo.com/group/instantrunoffVA or have them send an
      email to instantrunoffVA-subscribe@yahoogroups.com and they will get
      on the list.

      We could use a website. Can anyone throw a website together?

      We can use a little outreach to the likely supporters of IRV. Anyone
      up for some cold calls?

      What else do we need? We've got a big gubernatorial race coming up,
      where we might get another less than 50% winner. Let's start laying
      the groundwork now and reaching out to people about the need for
      electoral reform.

      Because anything we do in Virginia will have a disproportional effect
      on the federal debate, since all those federal players live in
      Virginia. What a huge opportunity. Let's take it!

      By the way, there is a national list at
      www.groups.yahoo.com/group/instantrunoff in case you are not on that
      list or you would like to read the archives.

      Dan Johnson-Weinberger
      National Field Director
      Center for Voting and Democracy
    • Sherry Stanley
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 12, 2001
        Dan -----

        I have run for the General Assembly and know a few delegates and senators.
        Of course, it's too late to get a bill in for this year since the GA is in
        session right now. But we could try to work on one this spring and summer
        and look for a sponsor.

        We may have someone who can put a web site together and I'll spread the word
        to get others to join this list. I can get the word out to Greens if
        others can work on Libertarian lists.

        Sherry
        > There are seven of us on this list now (and at most, five from
        > Virginia). Let's get this thing rolling!
        >
        > We need a bill introduced. Anybody know a state legislator who can
        > introduce a bill?
        >
        > We need to get more people on this list. To do that, ask people to
        > visit www.groups.yahoo.com/group/instantrunoffVA or have them send an
        > email to instantrunoffVA-subscribe@yahoogroups.com and they will get
        > on the list.
        >
        > We could use a website. Can anyone throw a website together?
        >
        > We can use a little outreach to the likely supporters of IRV. Anyone
        > up for some cold calls?
        >
        > What else do we need? We've got a big gubernatorial race coming up,
        > where we might get another less than 50% winner. Let's start laying
        > the groundwork now and reaching out to people about the need for
        > electoral reform.
        >
        > Because anything we do in Virginia will have a disproportional effect
        > on the federal debate, since all those federal players live in
        > Virginia. What a huge opportunity. Let's take it!
        >
        > By the way, there is a national list at
        > www.groups.yahoo.com/group/instantrunoff in case you are not on that
        > list or you would like to read the archives.
        >
        > Dan Johnson-Weinberger
        > National Field Director
        > Center for Voting and Democracy

      • Tom Bryer
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 13, 2001
          I'm coming to you from Maryland, but I'll be happy to
          work with the VA Libertarians. Let me know the game
          plan.

          Cheers,

          Tom Bryer
          Reform America, Inc.