Re: [InstantRunoffMT] Fleischmann: No fusion effort in 2002

  • radmtwoman
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2001
      Dear IRVers,

      Good news, indeed. Both initiatives on the ballet
      would have been unfortunate. The NP annual meeting is
      next Sat. Good place to pitch IRV and find a
      definitive answer on fusion.
      Brought up IRV at the last Greens' meeting. That's
      the fourth time. Just an announcement this time: "GLMG
      member JM met with....in Billings on
      Sunday...movement!...when the time comes I hope folks
      will help with petitioning..."
      Ran into "Mr. Initiative" himself week before last.
      Gave me some serious pointers about the
      financial/legal stuff. Since I-122, the line is a
      stone wall between educational and political
      coordinating. Last time I had anything to do with
      these distinctions they were *substantially* more
      nebulous. More later on that. How was it when you
      worked on NOTA, John?
      The guru will be back in town this week. I'll set up
      an appointment.
      Spoke with Hayes (who just resigned as student gov't
      VP at UM) and Nathan (UM Greens) about getting IRV
      adopted for campus elections. Hayes says they've been
      approached about fusion...:-) I'll talk with Nathan
      and others further.
      A while back, sent a note to the Bozeman coordinator
      inquiring about support or lack of same for IRV among
      their group. Just heard back: "General lack of
      support for IRV--but I must admit we haven't been all
      fired up about it one or another either."
      At least one of their members is a staunch fusion
      supporter - from what I hear.
      Scott, is there consensus among the Billings crew
      about IRV?
      Went back and re-read all relevant [InstantRunOff]
      posts. Matt, I agree with the post about this being
      "a marathon, not a sprint." Any thought given to
      concentrating on voting equipment first, as one person
      suggested?
      We should go to Helena on Wednesday. Anyone have more
      specifics on that panel?

      Hope the AG was kind. Fingers crossed :-)

      Peace and solidarity,
      Elizabeth

      --- matt singer <matthewsinger@...> wrote:
      > That sounds lik good news. I would also point out
      > that passage of this
      > initiative might make a new nomination process,
      > since primaries will be
      > unnecessary, more attractive. That new nomination
      > process could easily
      > include fusion.
      >
      > Also, apparently the AG has mailed something to my
      > house, so we can expect
      > some word soon.
      >
      > I'll send word out when I have it.
      >
      > peace,
      > matthew singer
      > --------------
      > "violence is for people that can't handle diction."
      > -311

      > http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp

      http://shopping.yahoo.com
    • matt singer
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2001
        I think the voting equipment might make sense, but there really is no way to
        get it done with an initiative, I think. Simply putting up an initiative to
        update voting machines without anything like IRV will alienate county
        administrators who like their punch card ballots without doing anything to
        make a better system. It will be unlikely to capture people's minds. A
        better approach, if any, would be to simply reword the language of the
        enactment clause so that the IRV mandates become effective when the
        Secretary of State rules that the equipment can handle it instead of in
        2008. But I also think that the 2008 solution, because it gives both time
        and a timeframe may be a decent solution. It's one that the Center for
        Voting and Democracy hasn't tried yet, so it may also be useful to see what
        the response is. I also think we have some other advantages working in our
        favor that may make this workable. If we can get Secretary Brown's
        endorsement, it would be simply amazing, and I think that is an honest
        possibility.

        peace,
        matthew singer
      • Scott Proctor
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 3, 2001

          Hey Rad!

          We ABSOLUTELY have consensus on IRV in Billings! We took a vote way back in June and decided unanimously to support IRV. When the time comes, we're definitetly going to want Cort Felts on our side. He's one of those guys that has the magical ability to qualify a voting district per day when it something he feels strongly about. From what I've heard of IR-117's effort in Bozeman if the Greens hadn't pitched in they'd have never gotten the signatures they needed. Maybe meeting them in person and talking about this will raise more enthusiasm.

          -Scott

          Do You Yahoo!?

        • radmtwoman
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 4, 2001
            Hey Luke!
            ABSOLUTE concensus somewhere, WOW! Although most in
            the 'Zoo bunch favor IRV, we have a couple of
            'non-believers' :-) Sending some educational
            materials to one of them right now.
            I hope Cort and the Bozeman folks take a shine to IRV.
            We'll win them over - over beer...

            http://shopping.yahoo.com