Glad to help.

  • Callaghan
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 8, 2002
      I am very interested in contributing time and effort towards both IRV and
      the prospect of publicly funding election campaigns. I became daunted by
      the information required to join the Yahoo chat groups, i.e. my gender,
      name, etc. for advertising purposes. I hope that simply being on the
      subscription list for updates will still enable me to participate.

      I'd appreciate e-mail, etc. as to how the group is organized and what I
      might do in my local area (Beaverhead County, Dillon) to promote this
      reform.

      I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks.

      Cynthia
    • matt singer
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 8, 2002
        At this point, I think it might be wise to start strategizing about the next
        legislative session. It's gonna be tough to get anything passed, especially
        if it looks like it'll cost money, but there are possibly two bills we could
        get passed if we tried:

        1) Local Option IRV: Allow municipal elections to use IRV if they amend
        their local code. If any small towns count by paper ballots and it wouldn't
        be a big deal for them or, if a larger city updates its machines, it could
        save money by eliminating the non-partisan primary.
        2) Voting machine requirements updates: We may be able to get a clause
        inserted into the voting machine requirements that any machines purchased
        must be compatible with all types of voting used in the United States. In
        addition to plurality voting and the vote for a couple methods that we use
        in Montana, that includes ranked voting (used in Cambridge, New York City,
        San Francisco, and possibly some other cities) and cumulative voting (used
        in several cities and being considered for the Illinois legislature), which
        would also be a great reform to promote for local school board and city
        council elections.

        Any ideas on how to promote this over the next year?

        matthew singer
        --------------
        "violence is for people that can't handle diction."
        -311

      • JOAN HURDLE
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 9, 2002
          First, have a few long conversations about it with Bob Brown the secretary
          of state. It would even be a good idea for you to phone and ask him if you
          could come to Helena to talk to him in person.
          After that, be aware that nothing passes the legislature that local election
          officials don't agree with (like Duane Winslow here).
          If you could work out something that Bob Brown could go along with and get
          him interested in the actual draft request, I could help find a legislator
          to carry it.
          Then we begin to organize the hearing and work with potential supporters.
          I think the League might be planning to work on clean election reform like
          they have in Maine and AZ. Are you interested in public funding of
          campaigns?
          The League can't adopt a new position until it has been studied for a year!
          They've already taken a position on clean elections.
          Joan
          Joan
          > At this point, I think it might be wise to start strategizing about the
          next
          > legislative session. It's gonna be tough to get anything passed,
          especially
          > if it looks like it'll cost money, but there are possibly two bills we
          could
          > get passed if we tried:
          >
          > 1) Local Option IRV: Allow municipal elections to use IRV if they amend
          > their local code. If any small towns count by paper ballots and it
          wouldn't
          > be a big deal for them or, if a larger city updates its machines, it could
          > save money by eliminating the non-partisan primary.
          > 2) Voting machine requirements updates: We may be able to get a clause
          > inserted into the voting machine requirements that any machines purchased
          > must be compatible with all types of voting used in the United States. In
          > addition to plurality voting and the vote for a couple methods that we use
          > in Montana, that includes ranked voting (used in Cambridge, New York City,
          > San Francisco, and possibly some other cities) and cumulative voting (used
          > in several cities and being considered for the Illinois legislature),
          which
          > would also be a great reform to promote for local school board and city
          > council elections.
          >
          > Any ideas on how to promote this over the next year?
          >
          > matthew singer
          > --------------
          > "violence is for people that can't handle diction."
          > -311

        • matt singer
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 9, 2002
            I'd be down with working on clean elections personally. But I would also
            like to introduce the notion of IRV to the legislature, even if only in the
            form of local option IRV. I know Missoula had municipal primaries last year.
            Eliminating those saves money in the long run and you have better turnout.

            Any other ideas?

            matthew singer
            --------------

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 10, 2002
              The best way to introduce an idea is through a bill or resolution. In fact
              there is no other way to have a hearing. Have you talked to Bob Brown?
              Joan
              > I'd be down with working on clean elections personally. But I would also
              > like to introduce the notion of IRV to the legislature, even if only in
              the
              > form of local option IRV. I know Missoula had municipal primaries last
              year.
              > Eliminating those saves money in the long run and you have better turnout.
              >
              > Any other ideas?
              >
              > matthew singer
              > --------------
              > "violence is for people that can't handle diction."
              > -311

            • Callaghan
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 11, 2002
                Ms. Hurdle,

                I subcribed to your group's e-mail list and have since received the dialog
                between you and Matt discussing the introduction of legislation for IRV.

                I am wondering if you have any printed materials, etc. for simply informing
                the general populus about what IRV actually is. I have been surprised at
                how many folks have never heard of IRV and the immediate positive response
                to when I've explained what it is.

                I assumed that such a reform would come, by necessity, through a ballot
                referendum. (I must admit that I have little faith in either of the
                established parties being open to any kind of reform that would diminish
                thier control over our electoral process...particularly 'clean' elections,
                which I feel is just as pertinant as IRV.)

                My idea would be to publish articles in our local and statewide newspapers
                explaining what IRV is, (as well as the mechanisms for publicly funded
                campaigns) and pose these reforms as truly nonpartisan issues. Likewise, if
                it is through legislation that the reform is sought, and dependant on local
                political support, I believe IRV must first become an issue for local
                contituancies.

                I will attach a letter I wrote to our local paper here in Dillon. I plan on
                writing further letters addressing the specifics involved in public
                campaigns, i.e. public ownership of the airwaves and the incresed
                participation in other states since reform has been implimented. And
                although I realize the advantage in focusing on one issue at a time, I feel
                IRV and publicly financed campaigns compliment each other. Ideally, these
                reforms should be implimented together.

                I would appreciate any comments you might have. Are 'we' organized in any
                "grassroots" way for getting information to the public? Obviously it would
                be far more efficient to combine my efforts with foks who are already
                organized.

                Thanks,

                Cynthia
              • matt singer
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 11, 2002
                  I haven't spoken with Bob Brown because I have no idea when I'll have a
                  chance to go to Helena. My work schedule keeps getting more and more
                  frightening. I work 9 days in a row, 7 of those are graveyard shifts, 2 are
                  late night shifts (getting off at 3 or 4). With my schedule this
                  unpredictable, I don't want to try to schedule a meeting.

                  matthew singer
                  --------------

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 12, 2002
                    I understand and thanks for replying. Perhaps phone contact would give
                    you some idea of his understanding of it? Joan
                    > I haven't spoken with Bob Brown because I have no idea when I'll have a
                    > chance to go to Helena. My work schedule keeps getting more and more
                    > frightening. I work 9 days in a row, 7 of those are graveyard shifts, 2
                    are
                    > late night shifts (getting off at 3 or 4). With my schedule this
                    > unpredictable, I don't want to try to schedule a meeting.
                    >
                    > matthew singer
                    > --------------
                    > "violence is for people that can't handle diction."
                    > -311

                  • JOAN HURDLE
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 12, 2002
                      Cynthia,
                      I'm so glad you are interested in this. The League in Billings will be
                      discussing this more and I will use your information! Thanks. It is also
                      possible that I might get a chance to talk to Bob Brown while I'm in Helena
                      for the special session.
                      Please keep in touch.
                      Joan Hurdle
                      > I subcribed to your group's e-mail list and have since received the dialog
                      > between you and Matt discussing the introduction of legislation for IRV.
                      >
                      > I am wondering if you have any printed materials, etc. for simply
                      informing
                      > the general populus about what IRV actually is. I have been surprised at
                      > how many folks have never heard of IRV and the immediate positive response
                      > to when I've explained what it is.
                      >
                      > I assumed that such a reform would come, by necessity, through a ballot
                      > referendum. (I must admit that I have little faith in either of the
                      > established parties being open to any kind of reform that would diminish
                      > thier control over our electoral process...particularly 'clean' elections,
                      > which I feel is just as pertinant as IRV.)
                      >
                      > My idea would be to publish articles in our local and statewide newspapers
                      > explaining what IRV is, (as well as the mechanisms for publicly funded
                      > campaigns) and pose these reforms as truly nonpartisan issues. Likewise,
                      if
                      > it is through legislation that the reform is sought, and dependant on
                      local
                      > political support, I believe IRV must first become an issue for local
                      > contituancies.
                      >
                      > I will attach a letter I wrote to our local paper here in Dillon. I plan
                      on
                      > writing further letters addressing the specifics involved in public
                      > campaigns, i.e. public ownership of the airwaves and the incresed
                      > participation in other states since reform has been implimented. And
                      > although I realize the advantage in focusing on one issue at a time, I
                      feel
                      > IRV and publicly financed campaigns compliment each other. Ideally, these
                      > reforms should be implimented together.
                      >
                      > I would appreciate any comments you might have. Are 'we' organized in any
                      > "grassroots" way for getting information to the public? Obviously it would
                      > be far more efficient to combine my efforts with foks who are already
                      > organized.
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      >
                      > Cynthia

                    • JOAN HURDLE
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 12, 2002
                        Cynthia,
                        Just a couple of comments in response to the documents: Our cynical
                        attitude toward "pols" is one thing that makes for a lack of political
                        participation. It isn't that "committees" pick the candidate, its more that
                        it is so difficult to get anyone at all to run and we certainly end up with
                        less than perfect candidates.
                        You should run for the state legislature. Its a dirty job but someone has
                        to do it and not just sit on the sidelines and complain about the dirt.
                        Platforms are nearly meaningless and no one is obligated to follow them.
                        Our biggest problem is apathy.
                        If only "pols" could "demand" more time. It is very hard to get any at all.
                        I go through long periods of time when nothing I say can get published at
                        all.
                        Maine and Az have passed clean election laws and are getting more general
                        participation. Anyone can run with public financing! Lets work for it in
                        Montana!
                        Joan
                        > I subcribed to your group's e-mail list and have since received the dialog
                        > between you and Matt discussing the introduction of legislation for IRV.
                        >
                        > I am wondering if you have any printed materials, etc. for simply
                        informing
                        > the general populus about what IRV actually is. I have been surprised at
                        > how many folks have never heard of IRV and the immediate positive response
                        > to when I've explained what it is.
                        >
                        > I assumed that such a reform would come, by necessity, through a ballot
                        > referendum. (I must admit that I have little faith in either of the
                        > established parties being open to any kind of reform that would diminish
                        > thier control over our electoral process...particularly 'clean' elections,
                        > which I feel is just as pertinant as IRV.)
                        >
                        > My idea would be to publish articles in our local and statewide newspapers
                        > explaining what IRV is, (as well as the mechanisms for publicly funded
                        > campaigns) and pose these reforms as truly nonpartisan issues. Likewise,
                        if
                        > it is through legislation that the reform is sought, and dependant on
                        local
                        > political support, I believe IRV must first become an issue for local
                        > contituancies.
                        >
                        > I will attach a letter I wrote to our local paper here in Dillon. I plan
                        on
                        > writing further letters addressing the specifics involved in public
                        > campaigns, i.e. public ownership of the airwaves and the incresed
                        > participation in other states since reform has been implimented. And
                        > although I realize the advantage in focusing on one issue at a time, I
                        feel
                        > IRV and publicly financed campaigns compliment each other. Ideally, these
                        > reforms should be implimented together.
                        >
                        > I would appreciate any comments you might have. Are 'we' organized in any
                        > "grassroots" way for getting information to the public? Obviously it would
                        > be far more efficient to combine my efforts with foks who are already
                        > organized.
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        >
                        > Cynthia

                      • matt singer
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 12, 2002
                          Our group has very limited grassroots involvement. We've got some people in
                          Billings and some in Missoula and we're generally supported by the Green
                          Party around the state (which has other chapters in Butte, Bozeman, and
                          Great Falls). Despite outreach efforts to other third parties, we've gotten
                          relatively little response. That might change because the Libertarian Party
                          has now included IRV in their national platform. As for flyers and stuff
                          like that, we basically only have what is available from the Center for
                          Voting and Democracy (www.fairvote.org) which isn't a whole lot.

                          peace,
                          matthew singer

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 13, 2002
                            Yeah and it's on the big to-do list. I'm honestly just getting close to
                            burn-out again. I think I might need to reprioritize when I get to Missoula
                            and stick IRV at the top again. My job is keeping me busy 40-45 hours a week
                            and it's grave shifts so I'm running a bit short on daylight hours to
                            accomplish anything.

                            So it goes.

                            matthew singer