IRV Update

  • matthewsinger@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 14, 2001
      Sorry it's taken me so long to provide another update on the
      initiative. It has been rewritten so as to solve the problem with
      ties (I didn't like referring to other sections of state code,
      because state code calls for recounts and having the legislature or
      governor decide, which seemed very difficult to me, since we could be
      without a governor for a while). The new clause reads: "In the case
      of a tie for last place at any stage of counting other than the final
      stage of counting, the candidate who had the least votes at the most
      recent stage of counting is considered eliminated. If no difference
      exists between the candidates at any stage, the tie must be decided
      by lot."

      My response to the Legal Services Office will be mailed off tomorrow.
      I will also be submitting the initiative for review by the SoS's
      office and the Attorney General shortly. If the SoS and AG approve,
      we can move forward with signature gathering. We'll have until about
      mid-summer, which gives us time to organize. If nothing else, this
      will hopefully give us a lot of time to raise the issue's profile, so
      even if the initiative doesn't qualify, we will have an edge in
      lobbying the legislature.

      peace,
      matt singer