Hi, I'm new on the scene.

  • captain_anti_america
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 20, 2002
      Hi, I'm new here. My username is a joke, so just relax. Now on with
      the IRV talk. Is there a solid/coordinated effort to get IRV enacted
      in Missouri? If so, what is it trying to do and where can I get into
      contact with this movement? If there isn't a group, I suggest we form
      one, come together and decide upon a course of action. Do we want to
      work on education programs, petition drives, or go the legislative
      route? Please fill me in, I feel like a child just born and thrown
      into a fresh diaper. I hope I don't sound rude, I am just in a hurry
      so I need to keep it terse. I'm a resident of Columbia, Missouri, and
      I have connections with people who would like to see IRV become a
      reality. So let's please work together.

      -Dan Hasemann
    • Carmack Dan
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 21, 2002
        There was a considerable amount of interest during the period of time when
        Kansas City was re-writing its Constitutional charter a while back and since
        then there hasn't been a lot of interest. I live in the Kansas City area
        and am a firm believer in the concept of instant runoff. To my knowledge
        there isn't too much happening in this area with this topic. I think that
        much could be done to get the ball rolling again.

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 21, 2002
          Which route do you think would work best, state-wide petitioning or
          lobbying? I am willing to work on anything, but it would be nice to
          know what someone with a lot of experience working on the cause would
          suggest. I think I might prefer a petition, but I don't know much about
          the specifics. And I know even less about lobbying. I am willing to
          learn though, and work hard. A plus is that I have friends that have
          done a lot of petitioning, so they could prep me. I should be able to
          put in a good amount of time on it. And the city of Columbia, I feel I
          would be able to pull together some significant support. I was thinking
          also it might helpful to package IRV in with some other already popular
          electoral reforms, such as requiring that counties upgrade their voting
          equipment. It's just a thought though of course. Thanks for your
          response. It would be nice to get this discussion group more active.
          It has the potential of being a good tool to coordinate state-wide, but
          maybe we need to tap other resources to find people who are interested
          in helping. I know the third parties would be interested.

          -Dan Hasemann

          Carmack Dan wrote:

          > There was a considerable amount of interest during the period of time when
          > Kansas City was re-writing its Constitutional charter a while back and
          > since
          > then there hasn't been a lot of interest. I live in the Kansas City area
          > and am a firm believer in the concept of instant runoff. To my knowledge
          > there isn't too much happening in this area with this topic. I think that
          > much could be done to get the ball rolling again.
        • BOB ANTWEILER
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 4, 2002

            Hi, I'm interested in voting reform.  Things need to change.  Is irv the best answer? I thought it was until I read the piece on electionmethods.org about the problem with irv.  It sounds like irv only helps as long as none of the minority parties has a real chance of winning.  I'm am interested in getting involved in voting reform.  But if we are going to work hard to put a system in place, I guess I would like it to be one that really serves the purpose.  I would like to hear thoughts about the problem with irv. thanks,  bob antweiler

            Carmack Dan wrote:

            > There was a considerable amount of interest during the period of time when
            > Kansas City was re-writing its Constitutional charter a while back and
            > since
            > then there hasn't been a lot of interest. I live in the Kansas City area
            > and am a firm believer in the concept of instant runoff. To my knowledge
            > there isn't too much happening in this area with this topic. I think that
            > much could be done to get the ball rolling again.

          • Markus Schulze
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 4, 2002
              Dear Bob,

              the main problem of Condorcet methods is that there is no such thing
              as "proportional representation by the Condorcet method". The main
              argument of the Condorcet supporters against IRV is that IRV violates
              monotonicity; however, there is no proportional preferential voting
              method which has been proven to meet monotonicity.

              Therefore, it is significantly more difficult to get from Condorcet
              to proportional representation than to get from IRV to proportional
              representation. This is true especially when one has switched from
              IRV to Condorcet because of IRV's violation of monotonicity.

              Markus Schulze