Libertarians add IRV and PR to platform

  • Dick Illyes
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 9, 2002
      The National Libertarian Party Convention held last week in Indianapolis
      added IRV to the platform for single winner contests, and called for
      Proportional Representation where practical.
    • zoezidbeck
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 6, 2002
        Below, the actual quote & from '00. I announced it to a dozen groups
        on street corners waiting for the light in Manhattan on my bikeride
        home, so of course next I had to check it out. Yahoo!

        National Platform of the Libertarian Party
        Adopted in Convention, July 2000, Anaheim, CA
        III. Domestic Ills
        Election Laws
        Electoral systems matter. The predominant use of "winner-take-all"
        elections in gerrymandered, single-member districts fosters political
        monopolies and creates a substantial government-imposed barrier to
        election of non-incumbent political parties and candidates. We
        propose electoral systems that are more representative of the
        electorate at the federal, state, and local levels, such as
        proportional voting systems with multi-member districts for
        legislative elections and instant runoff voting (IRV) for single
        winner elections.
        The Australian ballot system, introduced into the United States in
        the late nineteenth century, is an abridgement of freedom of
        expression and of voting rights. Under it, the names of all the
        officially approved candidates are printed in a single government
        sponsored format and the voter indicates his or her choice by marking
        it or by writing in an approved but unlisted candidate's name. We
        should return to the previous electoral system where there was no
        official ballot or candidate approval at all, and therefore no state
        or federal restriction of access to a "single ballot." Instead,
        voters submitted their own choices and had the option of
        using "tickets" or cards printed by candidates or political parties.
        In order to grant voters a full range of choice in federal, state,
        and local elections, we propose the addition of the alternative "None
        of the above is acceptable" to all ballots. We further propose that
        in the event that "none of the above is acceptable" receives a
        plurality of votes in any election, either the elective office for
        that term should remain unfilled and unfunded, or there shall be a
        new election in which none of the losing candidates shall be eligible.