Re: [InstantRunoffMO] Article on voting procedures

  • Duane Kunkee
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 6, 2001
      I read that article when it appeared in print. I was surprised and
      disappointed that it didn't even mention IRV in any form. The closest it
      came was approval voting which would be an improvement over what we have
      now.

      However, the method they seemed to focus the most on was the Borda count,
      which is a point system for adding up the votes. It means that even if
      someone's first place choice is in first place, their second and subsequent
      choices will also be raising the scores of other candidates. The potential
      for using strategy to help your favorite candidate is increased for the
      knowledgable voter. By making sure the candidate you expect to be the most
      significant rival is far down the list in your choices, you can make more
      than a one point difference in the key race. A voter that ranks the
      candidates more honestly may make a smaller difference.

      I think that any system that can sometimes allow one person to have a
      greater effect, or prevent a votor from having any affect on the race
      between the two leaders is flawed.

      Duane