State IRV Bill Needs Support!

  • Eric Barr
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 9, 2010
      Dear Kansas City and Missouri IRV supporters,

      Last week, Representative Jake Zimmerman introduced a very important Instant Runoff Voting bill in the Missouri House.  This bill would explicitly make it legal for Missouri municipalities to use IRV for their elections.  This has become an especially important bill for Kansas City because the City Attorney's office in Kansas City has already let us know that they do not think IRV would be legal in Kansas City unless such a bill is passed at the state level.  Here is a link to the bill

      The bill has been read twice and is waiting to be assigned to committee.  We can help this process by contacting the Speaker and Speaker Pro-Tem of the House to ask them to assign the bill to a committee.  We can also contact Chairs and members of the committees most suited to the bill and ask them to request the bill be assigned to their committee.  The most likely committees would be the Elections and Local Government committees.

      The list of these Representatives is below.  Please email and/or call as many of these key figures as you can.  It also can help, of course, to contact your own Representative.  We will be following the bill and will update everyone if it progresses to committee.  Thanks very much for your help!

      Eric

      HOUSE (HB 1897)

      Speaker (assigns bill to committee) - Ron Richard
      Phone:573-751-2173
      Fax:573-526-5813
      E-Mail:Ronald.Richard@...
      Home: 417-781-0206

      Speaker Pro-Tem
      Bryan Pratt
      Phone:573-751-8636
      Fax:573-522-1178
      E-Mail:Bryan.Pratt@...
      Home: 816-220-1099

      PROBABLE COMMITTEES -
      Elections -
      Chair: Bill Deeken
      Office: 573-751-2412
      Home: NOT LISTED

      Elections -
      Member who is also co-sponsor of bill: Beth Low
      Phone:573-751-4485
      Fax:
      E-Mail:Beth.Low@...

      Local Gov -
      Chair: Jason Brown
      Office: 573-751-6593
      Home: NOT LISTED

      Local Gov -
      Member who is also co-sponsor of bill: Jeff Roorda
      Phone:573-751-2504
      Fax:573-522-2557
      E-Mail:Jeff.Roorda@...

      SENATE (no bill yet)