Missouri update

  • Eric Barr
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 7, 2008
      Hi Everyone,

      I'm one of the moderators for the Missouri IRV Yahoo group.  Recently, FairVote asked us to try to revive these groups.  I live in Kansas City, so I know mostly what's happening here.  Here we have a small but growing group of us who are hoping to bring IRV to Kansas City for municipal elections.  We have been building support by contacting other organizations to form a coalition.  So far the Missouri Libertarians and the Progressive Party of Missouri, and the Kansas City Greens are all on board.  We plan to start communicating with city council members soon.  If any of you have contacts with other organizations who you think would lend their support, please let me know.

      But there were two exciting state-wide bills this year.  They were already mentioned on this list, but I'll mention them again.  First, in the Missouri House, Representative Jake Zimmerman (Democrat) proposed HB 2089:
      "Requires all primary and general elections held after January 1, 2009, for statewide offices and state representative and state senator to be conducted using instant runoff voting procedures"

      And also, Republican State Senator, John Loudon, proposed SB 1231.
      "SB 1231 - This act requires a system of instant runoff voting in all primary, general, and special elections where there are three or more candidates running for the office of President and Vice President; United States Senate or House of Representatives; Governor, Lieutenant Governor, Attorney General, Secretary of State, Auditor, or State Senator or Representative"

      Both of these elected officials, plus soon-to-be State Representative Jason Kander are also part of our coalition in Kansas City.  And have encouraged them all to join this list too.

      If anyone has anything to share about IRV activity in their area, please respond to the list to let us all know.  I will send occasional updates about progress in Kansas City.  We also plan to have a forum here on Thursday November 13th where we will introduce IRV to attendees and have a mock IRV election.

      Thanks,
      Eric
    • Peggy Henderson
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 8, 2008

        Have you made contact with Missouri Progressive Voters?

         Also, I’ve been working for Wayne Bledsoe who is a candidate for the House Dist 149 Seat.   I’ve been talking about IRV to him, so I have a good deal of faith that he would be a proponent.

         I still can’t believe the number of people who’ve never heard of IRV. . . I’ve come to think that a coalition that has as its main purpose voter education is a vital part of the effort.  We did a little IRV game at one of our Jeffersonian Women’s Democratic Club.  Small group unfortunately but most people were enthusiastic.    Maybe we need a speaker’s bureau of folks who are prepared to go around the state  doing presentations.  . .

        Peggy R. Henderson

        peggyh@...

        568 Basswood Drive

        Rolla, MO 65401