IRV Coalition in KC

  • Eric Barr
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 20, 2008
      Hi Everyone,

      Here in Kansas City, the Kansas City Green Party is planning to send
      a letter to each member of the Kansas City City Council. The letter
      will briefly explain the concept of IRV and include some materials
      from FairVote. Then we plan to follow up with the City Council
      members via phone to try to arrange some meetings to talk about
      possible steps towards implementing IRV in K.C..

      Rather than send the letter from just the Green Party of Kasas City,
      we would like it to be signed from a "Kansas City IRV Coalition", or
      something like that, and then provide a list of organizations that
      endorse it. We are fairly sure the Libertarians will want to be
      included, and maybe some progressive Democratic groups. Can anyone
      here recommend some other K.C. organizations that might want to be
      part of the coalition? If you have any contact info for heads of the
      organizations, that would be great too.

      Thanks,
      Eric Barr
      816-916-6599
    • Mark Haim
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 30, 2008
        Hi Eric,

        Good to hear y'all are moving forward on this. It's long overdue and one of the things I feel really bad I have not had time to work on. Once you get the ball rolling, I would love to do a radio show on KOPN about your efforts.

        I do have a question. Has anyone ever gotten a legal opinion--either from someone in Missouri government, or from an attorney familiar with Missouri's constitution and election law--to know if it is likely legal for a municipality to adopt IRV? This was the stumbling block several years ago when this was being actively discussed for Columbia or KC.  It would still seem to me worth getting a legal opinion from someone in the know, if this hasn't been done already, as someone in the media or on the KC City Council is sure to ask.

        Finally, in answer to your question, Eric, I don't know who to suggest in KC to look to join a coalition, besides the obvious Libertarians. It would be great if the League of Women Voters was on board, but last time I checked their national had not taken a position and the Mo LWV had not studied the issue. I do believe that the Vermont LWV has come out in favor of IRV, although I remember a few years back the Alaska League decided to oppose it. It would be worth checking with Fair Vote to see who they might suggest.

        All the best in your efforts,
        Mark Haim