FW: FairVote MN E-News - 1/7/06
- FairVote Minnesota E-News
Friday January 6, 2006
1)"How to speak fluent IRV," Speaker training session on Saturday January 7.
2) Minneapolis Charter Commission approves petition for circulation
3) The Better Ballot Campaign for Instant Runoff Voting in Minneapolis
reports that it is now "in full swing." Among the activities are preparing
for a city study of the charter amendment, beginning to collect petition
signatures, holding educational events, and recruiting individuals to
present charter amendment resolutions at the precinct caucuses and
conventions beginning in March, with the aim of seeking endorsement from all
the city's political parties. The campaign hopes to collect 10,000 petition
signatures and win the support of the City Council and Charter Commission,
with the aim of putting the Instant Runoff Voting charter amendment on the
November 2006 ballot.
4)Opportunities to get involved in the Better Ballot Campaign:
- Add your name to the list of Instant Runoff Voting supporters by
registering an account at http://www.fairvotemn.org/user/register and click
the check box indicating your endorsment (available to all site visitors,
not just Minneapolis residents). Or you can send an email to
- Host or co-host a Better Ballot Campaign house party (speaker provided).
- Help gather petition signatures (due by May 8, 2006) (check back next week
at http://www.fairvotemn.org/minneapolis for a downloadable petition).
- Go to party caucuses and senate district and city conventions (beginning
March 7th ) to present/support the Instant Runoff Voting charter amendment
resolution (Check back in February at http://www.fairvotemn.org/minneapolis
for a downloadable resolution you can bring to your caucus.)
- Become a speaker at Better Ballot Campaign events. Watch the Upcoming
events section of the website for opportunities to observe speakers in
action and learn how to do it yourself.
- Attend a Better Ballot Campaign event (Watch the Upcoming events section.)
- Write a letter to the editor/commentary to community papers
- Make a financial contribution to the campaign payable to
Minneapolis IRV Charter Amendment Committee
3606 Harriet Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55409
Contact Jeanne Massey at MplsCharter@... or call 612-850-6897.