PR mentioned in ChecksandBalances.com

  • Karen & Tony Solgård
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2002
      Proportional Representation mentioned in political newsletter as
      possible campaign subject in 2002 Secretary of State's race.

      Tony Solgard

      http://www.checksandbalances.com/MN/players-page/ppindex.htm

      [read to the bottom]

      The Green Party Effect on the DFL

      People believe that the Green Party will not field a candidate for the
      U.S.
      Senate because they stand solidly behind Paul Wellstone. Should this
      be true the party is still faced with an obligation to secure 5% in a
      statewide race to maintain their major party status. We expect they will
      field candidates in all of the constitutional races, but believe they
      only
      have true opportunities in two.

      We believe Green Party candidate for Attorney General, who will likely
      be pro-marijuana, will doubtfully secure the requisite even if all of
      the pot
      smokers in the state remember to vote. We also doubt the state Auditor’s
      of, which will be in charge of financial oversight is another office
      people
      will feel comfortable casting their vote for a Green Party candidate.

      Of course there will be the token candidacy for Governor and the cry for
      debate inclusion, which occurs in every election, but the place where
      the
      Greens might have the best shot at securing their 5% will be in the
      Secretary of State’s race. A candidate that calls for more openness and
      opportunities for voting should do well. Questions regarding access and
      accountability will move the debate in interesting directions. Topics
      like
      proportional voting, electronic voting and voting by mail may become
      points of debate. The Green Party has been shutout of major party status
      before by mere percentage points and the question of fairness might be
      addressed in this election.