Fwd: [instantrunoff] Strong commentary on using IRV rather than runoffs

  • Dan Johnson-Weinberger
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2004

      http://www.macon.com/mld/macon/news/opinion/9311476.htm
> [...]
      > taxpayers $1 million, which
      > doesn't include what the candidates will spend.
      > Some cities around the country are using a method
      > called "instant runoff
      > voting" that negates the need for a second election.
      > Voters go to the polls only
      > once, but they cast a different kind of ballot which
      > allows for a majority vote
      > winner every time.
      >
      > Instead of voting for only one candidate, voters
      > mark their ballot for
      > multiple candidates, ranking them in order of the
      > voter's preference - a first
      > preference candidate, a second preference, etc. When
      > the ballots are counted, if
      > one candidate receives a majority of all first
      > preference votes, he/she wins.
      > But if no one has a majority, the candidate who had
      > the fewest first preference
      > votes is eliminated. Then ballots are counted a
      > second time, with the votes
      > for that last-place candidate redistributed to the
      > candidates who those voters
      > picked as their second preference. With each
      > counting someone gets eliminated
      > and that person's votes get redistributed so that,
      > eventually, only two
      > candidates remain and one gets the required
      > majority.
      >
      > Bullock said the system is not particularly new, as
      > it was used in Alabama as
      > far back as the early 1930s. The Center for Voting
      > and Democracy says that in
      > the last 18 months Congress and more than 20 state
      > legislatures have
      > considered new election voting methods, including
      > instant runoff voting. But the
      > National Conference of State Legislatures reports no
      > states have authorized IRV in
      > the last four years, though many have debated it.
      > State Rep. Larry Walker,
      > D-Perry, said he could not recall IRV's being
      > discussed during his long tenure in
      > the Georgia Legislature.
      >
      > Nevertheless, given the terrible turnout that
      > runoffs produce, maybe we
      > should consider something new. Would IRV save money?
      > Absolutely. Would the courts
      > approve? Don't know. Would it change campaign
      > tactics? Probably, but tactics
      > are changing anyway.
      >
      > This new early voting method we're employing
      > certainly is convenient, but
      > it's changing the game, especially since some issues
      > aren't being exposed until
      > the last few days - or even hours - prior to an
      > election and well after early
      > voters have voted. Political strategies are
      > evolving, and IRV would affect
      > them, too.
      >
      > But we need to try something. Would IRV improve
      > voter turnout in the primary?
      > Probably not, but it would certainly eliminate the
      > dismal showing we can
      > expect in the runoff. That, plus saving at least a
      > million dollars, might actually
      > be worth considering.
      >
      > Bill Weaver is the Houston Bureau chief.

      =====
      Dan Johnson-Weinberger
      www.djw.info
      Director, Midwest Democracy Center
      312.587.7060 (office) 312.933.4890 (mobile)
      djw@...
      www.midwestdemocracy.org
      Voice for all in legislatures by cumulative voting in 3-seat districts
      Instant runoff voting for executives to give voters more choices

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail