IRV what is being done?

  • tpriest23
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 5, 2002
      I just recently moved to Atlanta and got this link off the Center for
      voting and Democracy. I was hoping to get involved. Is there any
      real push for this type of legislation here in Georgia? Is there
      anything that I can do to help as a volunteer?
    • Dan Johnson-Weinberger
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 5, 2002
        Lots to do -- contact your state legislators this month and ask them to
        introduce some IRV legislation!

        Maybe you can get a little group together. Are there other GA folks
        interested in working on an IRV bill?

        Dan Johnson-Weinberger
        Center for Voting and Democracy
        (in Chicago. . .)
        > I just recently moved to Atlanta and got this link off the Center for
        > voting and Democracy. I was hoping to get involved. Is there any
        > real push for this type of legislation here in Georgia? Is there
        > anything that I can do to help as a volunteer?

      • John Huie
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 5, 2002
          Sadly Georgia has among the most restrictive ballot access laws. There is
          even a law passed by Democrats allowing elections to be won with less than
          50% (I believe its 46%) of the vote. There are about 4 people on this list
          (!) and little activity. The Ga. Green Party (and local affiliates, see
          their website) and probably also Libertarians have ballot access as
          platform points. Since the Republicans are gaining in Ga. they might be
          open to reforming some of these laws. I feel it is a long (but important )
          fight and it its a little hard to explain to people, but at the same time
          more and more people are essentially unrepresented under the present
          elections system or won't even vote. So write letters to editors, talk to
          representatives, etc.

          I am encouraged by the "creeping successes" in other
          places. Why can't County Commissioners be elected in multi-member districts
          in which each voter votes twice to elect two candidates from a field of
          candidates? For that matter, why can't Georgia's two US Senators be elected
          the same way? Wouldn't the results better represent the views of the
          electorate?

          Good luck, John Huie / Athens (UGa town, 60 mi E of Atl)