This month is IT! , Letters & IRV peace rallies

  • IRV Alliance
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 13, 2006
      1- This month (weekend!) The most effective thing any of us can do
      is to send letters to editors of local papers and the nyt.
      a- ie. just a paragraph asking why local politicians are not getting
      IRv when it is already SO successful elsewhere.
      b- You can just borrow something from other peoples letters and
      editorials (see below for links)
      c- please post your letters to the egroup or forum for others to get
      ideas.

      This is a call for volunteers to start planning on local IRv peace
      rallies before the election. These will be photo-ops for politicians
      to endorse IRv, like Oct 27 or Nov. 4.
      The idea is to call attention to the 4 IRV votes Nov 7 and get
      media attention to the fact that IRV elections help bring peace and
      IRV elections should be held in troubled democracy.
      http://irv4peace.org <--website for rallies also at
      http://IRv100.org (new)

      It's imortant to get the media's attention this month because there
      will be so much IRV news to cover nationwide, with the elections,
      politicians campaigning, and the peace rally.
      (I am organizing in Oakland)

      The problem with starting something from scratch is advance
      planning. To start a rally, we just need one person to set an
      organizing meeting then start publicizign it so more people can get
      involved and basically take it over. We can start some major momenum
      with 4 weeks left to go.
      please check the website, with forums and egroups to discuss it on.
      __________________________
      3- vote in the "best published IRV news" poll that links to about 25
      of the best recently published stories.
      http://best.irvnews.net

      (this is supposed to be a resource for IRV campaigns and politicains
      to link their websites too)
      more on letters:
      I believe that this is the best/most important month ever for getting
      IRV in the news nationwide. Campaigning politicians are known to
      get lots of publicity for IRV if it starts getting in the news first.
      1- If you want IRv to be a national issue by '08, PLEASE start
      sending LTE's to local papers ASAP.

      We can share letter material with each other on
      http://forum.4irv.us

      This month is IT! , Letters & IRV peace rallies