IRV for Fort Collins

  • Brian Woodruff
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3, 2004
      Greetings to readers of InstantRunoffCO --

      I am working on getting IRV adopted for City Council and Mayor elections in
      Fort Collins.

      There has been no activity on this list server since fall 2003, so I don't
      know if anyone is "out there." If you live in Northern Colorado, please
      reply either on this list or directly to me...I would like to talk with you
      about the prospects for IRV in our area.

      The Fort Collins City Council has thought about implementing IRV for the
      Mayor's races only. I am asking Council members to expand the use of IRV
      to all City Council races. The local chapter of League of Women Voters
      (Larimer county) will study the issue and take a position on IRV , possibly
      by this fall.

      Please let me know of your interest in IRV, especially if you live in the
      Fort Collins area. I'd love to meet you!

      -- Brian

      ================
      Brian Woodruff
      2825 Dixon Creek Ln
      Ft Collins, CO 80526
      970-224-5443
      bwoodruff@...
      ================
    • Marc Cittone
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 4, 2004
        Hi Brian,

        I live in Boulder (for now) which has a single at-large district, so IRV is not relevant here ... (though we may move to electing the mayor directly).  But I am interested in any move to IRV -- I figure the more people actually using and getting familiar with the system, the more they will realize it makes sense and will support it for state offices and Congress ... I really believe we need to move away from the two-party system and IRV is a big step in the right direction.

        Please keep me posted.  I'm in the middle of a thesis now but in the future would be willing to offer help,
        Marc

      • Davidottke@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 4, 2004
          In a message dated 2/4/2004 11:34:01 AM Mountain Standard Time, mcittone@... writes:

          which has a single at-large district, so IRV is not relevant here ...

          Why would a single at-large district make IRV irrelevant? Three candidates running for that at-large district could result in the two lessor candidates splitting the protest vote causing the top candidate to win with less than 50% of the vote. After eliminating the candidate with the lowest number of votes, the vote recount could put the second place candidate in first place to win.
        • Dpolhill@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 5, 2004
            In a message dated 2/4/2004 11:38:00 PM Mountain Standard Time, Davidottke@... writes:
            In a message dated 2/4/2004 11:34:01 AM Mountain Standard Time, mcittone@... writes:

            which has a single at-large district, so IRV is not relevant here ...

            Why would a single at-large district make IRV irrelevant? Three candidates running for that at-large district could result in the two lessor candidates splitting the protest vote causing the top candidate to win with less than 50% of the vote. After eliminating the candidate with the lowest number of votes, the vote recount could put the second place candidate in first place to win.
            Dave is right.
            Dennis Polhill
          • Marc Cittone
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 5, 2004
              Hello Everyone,

              I just got a message from meetup.com (an online way to set up local get-togethers on different issues, you're probably aware of it) about the Common Cause meetup in Boulder ... I don't actually go to these b/c I have my hands full with my school and working a bit on the Kerry campaign in Boulder county, but I thought if there is a similar Common Cause meetup in Ft. Collins that would be an ideal venue to get election reform-minded people together ... my impression for the couple of months I've been on the list is that the meetups don't happen in Boulder for lack of people RSVPing ... my previous experience w/the Kerry meetups is that you could expect about 50% of the RSVPs to actually show ... just thought I'd suggest it though ...

              Marc