Interesting comment from Ken Gordon

  • Chris Smith
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 29, 2006
      The following was in an email that Ken Gordon (democratic candidate for
      Secretary of State) sent to supporters this morning:

      "Instant Runoff Voting: There is an election reform proposal called instant
      runoff voting that I believe has merit. Under this proposal, people can rank
      their top two or three choices and if the first choice does not get over
      50%, then the second choice becomes their vote. This would allow people in
      the Libertarian or Green Party, for instance, to vote for their favorite
      candidate without concern that they are helping their least favorite
      candidate. For instance, a Libertarian could vote for the Libertarian
      candidate first, and the Republican second. Right now someone who prefers
      the Libertarian might feel that they have to support the Republican because
      they are afraid that they would be helping the Democrat by voting for a
      third party. This is a reform that does not have a slant for or against
      either major party, but it will give voters a choice they don't currently
      have. If it existed nationally in Presidential elections, it might have
      helped George Bush, the father, in his race against Bill Clinton, because of
      the Perot factor; and if it had existed in 2000, it might have helped Al
      Gore against George Bush, the son, because of the Nader factor. Washington
      and North Carolina have created pilot projects. I believe it will encourage
      more voter participation, which I strongly favor."

      --
      Chris Smith