Any friendly legislators in Colorado for IRV?

  • Dan Johnson-Weinberger
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 9, 2001
      Any luck in lobbying state representatives and state senators to
      introduce an IRV bill? Senator Tupa has focused on the electoral
      college so far; perhaps we should try to find another state
      legislator to introduce an IRV bill in addition to Senator Tupa.

      To invite someone else onto this list, ask them to send a blank email
      to InstantRunoffCO-subscribe@egroups.com

      Let's grow this movement!

      Dan Johnson-Weinberger
      Center for Voting and Democracy
      www.fairvote.org
    • Art Goodtimes
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 10, 2001
        dan

        i can't think of a single liberal politico on the western slope who'd
        be interested.

        art

        To: InstantRunoffCO@yahoogroups.com
        From: "Dan Johnson-Weinberger" <proportionalrepresentation@...>
        Date sent: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 06:29:40 -0000
        Send reply to: InstantRunoffCO@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [InstantRunoffCO] Any friendly legislators in Colorado for IRV?

        > Any luck in lobbying state representatives and state senators to
        > introduce an IRV bill? Senator Tupa has focused on the electoral
        > college so far; perhaps we should try to find another state legislator
        > to introduce an IRV bill in addition to Senator Tupa.
        >
        > To invite someone else onto this list, ask them to send a blank email
        > to InstantRunoffCO-subscribe@egroups.com
        >
        > Let's grow this movement!
        >
        > Dan Johnson-Weinberger
        > Center for Voting and Democracy
        > www.fairvote.org

      • Dan Johnson-Weinberger
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 10, 2001
          Hey, ask the conservatives! This is a good-government thing, not a liberal
          thing. The Alaska Republicans have been the champions of IRV in that state;
          a GOP activist in Utah has been pushing hard for IRV there. This one really
          crosses ideological lines, so try the right-wingers too.

          And better to get a no from a legislator this time (and maybe they'll say
          yes to something else), then not ask at all.

          <proportionalrepresentation@...>
          >Date sent: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 06:29:40 -0000
          >Send reply to: InstantRunoffCO@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [InstantRunoffCO] Any friendly legislators in Colorado for
          IRV?

          >> Any luck in lobbying state representatives and state senators to
          >> introduce an IRV bill? Senator Tupa has focused on the electoral
          >> college so far; perhaps we should try to find another state legislator
          >> to introduce an IRV bill in addition to Senator Tupa.
          >>
          >> To invite someone else onto this list, ask them to send a blank email
          >> to InstantRunoffCO-subscribe@egroups.com
          >>
          >> Let's grow this movement!
          >>
          >> Dan Johnson-Weinberger
          >> Center for Voting and Democracy
          >> www.fairvote.org

        • Art Goodtimes
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 11, 2001
            dan

            thanks for the tips. as a county commissioner i'm often in the
            position of lobbying or asking legislators for various actions.

            art

            To: <InstantRunoffCO@yahoogroups.com>
            From: "Dan Johnson-Weinberger" <proportionalrepresentation@...>
            Date sent: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 19:11:24 -0600
            Send reply to: InstantRunoffCO@yahoogroups.com

            > Hey, ask the conservatives! This is a good-government thing, not a
            > liberal thing. The Alaska Republicans have been the champions of IRV
            > in that state; a GOP activist in Utah has been pushing hard for IRV
            > there. This one really crosses ideological lines, so try the
            > right-wingers too.
            >
            > And better to get a no from a legislator this time (and maybe they'll
            > say yes to something else), then not ask at all.
            >
            > Dan

          • Dan Johnson-Weinberger
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 11, 2001
              Cool. Hey, as a county commissioner, can you introduce an IRV bill for your
              county? That's pretty easy lobbying -- you get to lobby yourself!

            • Art Goodtimes
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 12, 2001
                good question, dan. i'll check. i think in colorado we don't have that
                power, but i'll ask.

                art

                To: <InstantRunoffCO@yahoogroups.com>
                From: "Dan Johnson-Weinberger" <proportionalrepresentation@...>
                Date sent: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 15:34:54 -0600
                Send reply to: InstantRunoffCO@yahoogroups.com

                > Cool. Hey, as a county commissioner, can you introduce an IRV bill for
                > your county? That's pretty easy lobbying -- you get to lobby yourself!
                >
                > Dan

              • Victor a Good
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 12, 2001
                  Art,
                  I'm out of state right now but you could try Mark Larson from Cortez,
                  he's nice enough but has been a real patzie for the Republicans in the
                  past - introduced 24 pieces of legislation his freshman term - what does
                  that tell ya?!

                  Also Carl Miller seems to be an approachable guy

                  I don't have the contact numbers for any of these guys right now but if I
                  get back to the Denver area in the near future I could spend a day at the
                  capital talking to different people - like Dan says it makes sense for
                  them as well- it just may take a little convincing. Is there anybody in
                  the metro area that could take some copies of our proposed legislation up
                  to the capital and talk to some of these guys?

                  Jim Snook was another one I meet during the campaign who seemed nice
                  enough but I'm sure he's taking a lot of direction from his Republican
                  peers during his first term, but maybe he'd be interested presenting this
                  as his first legislation?

                  Who knows? It's worth a try. Hope all is well with everyone.

                  Victor Good
                  GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                  http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.