Re: Citizen's Initiative

  • tomatomeyer
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 21, 2004
      Steve McDuffie,
      Are you in Colorado and ready to work on IRV legislation or
      initiative?

      Bruce Meyer
      Denver

      --- In InstantRunoffCO@yahoogroups.com, "AS Steve McDuffie (Private)"
      <smcduffie.storm@a...> wrote:
      > In my current homestate of Washington, there are petitions going
      around to get
      > Citizen's Iniative 318 on the ballot in Nov 05. If passed, it will
      make IRV
      > elections the law of the land statewide.
      >
      > Since there is a Citizen's Initiative process in my future state of
      residence,
      > Colorado, can we not therefore band together and get the ball
      rolling to get a
      > citizen's iniative for IRV elections here?
      >
      > Is there someone way ahead of me on this? Is the ball already
      rolling?
      > -----
      > From: InstantRunoffCO@yahoogroups.com
      > Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 15:19 -0700 Msg: AMOS-14622986
      > Subject: [InstantRunoffCO] Digest Number 59
      > To: InstantRunoffCO@yahoogroups.com
      >

      > There are 2 messages in this issue.
      >
      > Topics in this digest:
      >
      > 1. Politics in CO
      > From: "AS Steve McDuffie (Private)" <smcduffie.storm@a...
      >
      > 2. RE: Politics in CO
      > From: "Jan Kok" <kok@s...>

      __

      __

      > Message: 1
      > Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 20:11:00 +0000
      > From: "AS Steve McDuffie (Private)" <smcduffie.storm@a...>
      > Subject: Politics in CO
      >
      > In CO, is there a citizen's initiative process?
      >
      > Also, what are the ballot access laws like in CO?
      >
      > Can anyone answer those questions?
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > McD

      __

      __

      > Message: 2
      > Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 15:05:42 -0600
      > From: "Jan Kok" <kok@s...>
      > Subject: RE: Politics in CO
      >
      > A quick answer, in case someone more knowledgable doesn't reply...
      >
      > Steve asked:
      > > In CO, is there a citizen's initiative process?
      >
      > Yes. It has gotten somewhat difficult to use because initiatives
      are
      > required to address a "single subject". The CO government uses that
      > rule to disallow initiatives that it doesn't like (which is probably
      > most initiatives... otherwise the legislature would pass the law
      > themselves). For example, Douglas Bruce has repeatedly had his tax
      > reduction initiatives shot down with the excuse that they addressed
      > multiple issues.
      >
      > > Also, what are the ballot access laws like in CO?
      >
      > Currently one of the easiest in the US.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > - Jan

      __

    • gperez@spamex.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 26, 2004
        Mr. McDuffie:

        Yes, I am in Colorado and may be ready to work on IRV
        or Fair Choice Voting initiatives. What do you have
        in mind?

        Mr. Perez

        --- tomatomeyer <bruce@...> wrote:

        ---------------------------------
        Sent to: gperez@...

        <smcduffie.storm@a...> wrote:
        > In my current homestate of Washington, there are
        petitions going
        around to get
        > Citizen's Iniative 318 on the ballot in Nov 05. If
        passed, it will
        make IRV
        > elections the law of the land statewide.
        >
        > Since there is a Citizen's Initiative process in my
        future state of
        residence,
        > Colorado, can we not therefore band together and get
        the ball
        rolling to get a
        > citizen's iniative for IRV elections here?
        >
        > Is there someone way ahead of me on this? Is the
        ball already
        rolling?
        > -----
        > From: InstantRunoffCO@yahoogroups.com
        > Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 15:19 -0700 Msg:
        AMOS-14622986
        > Subject: [InstantRunoffCO] Digest Number 59
        > To: InstantRunoffCO@yahoogroups.com
        >

        > There are 2 messages in this issue.
        >
        > Topics in this digest:
        >
        > 1. Politics in CO
        > From: "AS Steve McDuffie (Private)"
        <smcduffie.storm@a...

        > 2. RE: Politics in CO
        > From: "Jan Kok" <kok@s...>

        __

        __

        > Message: 1
        > Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 20:11:00 +0000
        > From: "AS Steve McDuffie (Private)"
        <smcduffie.storm@a...>
        > Subject: Politics in CO
        >
        > In CO, is there a citizen's initiative process?
        >
        > Also, what are the ballot access laws like in CO?
        >
        > Can anyone answer those questions?
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > McD

        __

        __

        > Message: 2
        > Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 15:05:42 -0600
        > From: "Jan Kok" <kok@s...>
        > Subject: RE: Politics in CO
        >
        > A quick answer, in case someone more knowledgable
        doesn't reply...

        > Steve asked:
        > > In CO, is there a citizen's initiative process?
        >
        > Yes. It has gotten somewhat difficult to use
        because initiatives
        are
        > required to address a "single subject". The CO
        government uses that
        > rule to disallow initiatives that it doesn't like
        (which is probably
        > most initiatives... otherwise the legislature would
        pass the law
        > themselves). For example, Douglas Bruce has
        repeatedly had his tax
        > reduction initiatives shot down with the excuse that
        they addressed
        > multiple issues.
        >
        > > Also, what are the ballot access laws like in CO?
        >
        > Currently one of the easiest in the US.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > - Jan

        __

        Terms of Service.

        =====
        G. Perez

        Voicemail and pager: 1.800.699.2466, mailbox 303.285.4636
        Numeric pager: 303.879.5050
        www.geocities.com/gpdenp

        Learning, developing, exploring, and navigating knowledge paths

        http://vote.yahoo.com