Citizen's Initiative

  • AS Steve McDuffie (Private)
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2004
      In my current homestate of Washington, there are petitions going around to get
      Citizen's Iniative 318 on the ballot in Nov 05. If passed, it will make IRV
      elections the law of the land statewide.

      Since there is a Citizen's Initiative process in my future state of residence,
      Colorado, can we not therefore band together and get the ball rolling to get a
      citizen's iniative for IRV elections here?

      Is there someone way ahead of me on this? Is the ball already rolling?
      -----
      From: InstantRunoffCO@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 15:19 -0700 Msg: AMOS-14622986
      Subject: [InstantRunoffCO] Digest Number 59
      To: InstantRunoffCO@yahoogroups.com

      There are 2 messages in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. Politics in CO
      From: "AS Steve McDuffie (Private)" <smcduffie.storm@...>
      2. RE: Politics in CO
      From: "Jan Kok" <kok@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 20:11:00 +0000
      From: "AS Steve McDuffie (Private)" <smcduffie.storm@...>
      Subject: Politics in CO

      In CO, is there a citizen's initiative process?

      Also, what are the ballot access laws like in CO?

      Can anyone answer those questions?

      Thanks

      McD

      Message: 2
      Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 15:05:42 -0600
      From: "Jan Kok" <kok@...>
      Subject: RE: Politics in CO

      A quick answer, in case someone more knowledgable doesn't reply...

      Steve asked:
      > In CO, is there a citizen's initiative process?

      Yes. It has gotten somewhat difficult to use because initiatives are
      required to address a "single subject". The CO government uses that
      rule to disallow initiatives that it doesn't like (which is probably
      most initiatives... otherwise the legislature would pass the law
      themselves). For example, Douglas Bruce has repeatedly had his tax
      reduction initiatives shot down with the excuse that they addressed
      multiple issues.

      > Also, what are the ballot access laws like in CO?

      Currently one of the easiest in the US.

      Cheers,
      - Jan

    • tomatomeyer
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 21, 2004
        Steve McDuffie,
        Are you in Colorado and ready to work on IRV legislation or
        initiative?

        Bruce Meyer
        Denver

        --- In InstantRunoffCO@yahoogroups.com, "AS Steve McDuffie (Private)"
        <smcduffie.storm@a...> wrote:
        > In my current homestate of Washington, there are petitions going
        around to get
        > Citizen's Iniative 318 on the ballot in Nov 05. If passed, it will
        make IRV
        > elections the law of the land statewide.
        >
        > Since there is a Citizen's Initiative process in my future state of
        residence,
        > Colorado, can we not therefore band together and get the ball
        rolling to get a
        > citizen's iniative for IRV elections here?
        >
        > Is there someone way ahead of me on this? Is the ball already
        rolling?
        > -----
        > From: InstantRunoffCO@yahoogroups.com
        > Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 15:19 -0700 Msg: AMOS-14622986
        > Subject: [InstantRunoffCO] Digest Number 59
        > To: InstantRunoffCO@yahoogroups.com
        >

        > There are 2 messages in this issue.
        >
        > Topics in this digest:
        >
        > 1. Politics in CO
        > From: "AS Steve McDuffie (Private)" <smcduffie.storm@a...
        >
        > 2. RE: Politics in CO
        > From: "Jan Kok" <kok@s...>

        __

        __

        > Message: 1
        > Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 20:11:00 +0000
        > From: "AS Steve McDuffie (Private)" <smcduffie.storm@a...>
        > Subject: Politics in CO
        >
        > In CO, is there a citizen's initiative process?
        >
        > Also, what are the ballot access laws like in CO?
        >
        > Can anyone answer those questions?
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > McD

        __

        __

        > Message: 2
        > Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 15:05:42 -0600
        > From: "Jan Kok" <kok@s...>
        > Subject: RE: Politics in CO
        >
        > A quick answer, in case someone more knowledgable doesn't reply...
        >
        > Steve asked:
        > > In CO, is there a citizen's initiative process?
        >
        > Yes. It has gotten somewhat difficult to use because initiatives
        are
        > required to address a "single subject". The CO government uses that
        > rule to disallow initiatives that it doesn't like (which is probably
        > most initiatives... otherwise the legislature would pass the law
        > themselves). For example, Douglas Bruce has repeatedly had his tax
        > reduction initiatives shot down with the excuse that they addressed
        > multiple issues.
        >
        > > Also, what are the ballot access laws like in CO?
        >
        > Currently one of the easiest in the US.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > - Jan

        __

      • gperez@spamex.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 26, 2004
          Mr. McDuffie:

          Yes, I am in Colorado and may be ready to work on IRV
          or Fair Choice Voting initiatives. What do you have
          in mind?

          Mr. Perez

          --- tomatomeyer <bruce@...> wrote:

          ---------------------------------
          Sent to: gperez@...

          <smcduffie.storm@a...> wrote:
          > In my current homestate of Washington, there are
          petitions going
          around to get
          > Citizen's Iniative 318 on the ballot in Nov 05. If
          passed, it will
          make IRV
          > elections the law of the land statewide.
          >
          > Since there is a Citizen's Initiative process in my
          future state of
          residence,
          > Colorado, can we not therefore band together and get
          the ball
          rolling to get a
          > citizen's iniative for IRV elections here?
          >
          > Is there someone way ahead of me on this? Is the
          ball already
          rolling?
          > -----
          > From: InstantRunoffCO@yahoogroups.com
          > Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 15:19 -0700 Msg:
          AMOS-14622986
          > Subject: [InstantRunoffCO] Digest Number 59
          > To: InstantRunoffCO@yahoogroups.com
          >

          > There are 2 messages in this issue.
          >
          > Topics in this digest:
          >
          > 1. Politics in CO
          > From: "AS Steve McDuffie (Private)"
          <smcduffie.storm@a...

          > 2. RE: Politics in CO
          > From: "Jan Kok" <kok@s...>

          __

          __

          > Message: 1
          > Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 20:11:00 +0000
          > From: "AS Steve McDuffie (Private)"
          <smcduffie.storm@a...>
          > Subject: Politics in CO
          >
          > In CO, is there a citizen's initiative process?
          >
          > Also, what are the ballot access laws like in CO?
          >
          > Can anyone answer those questions?
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > McD

          __

          __

          > Message: 2
          > Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 15:05:42 -0600
          > From: "Jan Kok" <kok@s...>
          > Subject: RE: Politics in CO
          >
          > A quick answer, in case someone more knowledgable
          doesn't reply...

          > Steve asked:
          > > In CO, is there a citizen's initiative process?
          >
          > Yes. It has gotten somewhat difficult to use
          because initiatives
          are
          > required to address a "single subject". The CO
          government uses that
          > rule to disallow initiatives that it doesn't like
          (which is probably
          > most initiatives... otherwise the legislature would
          pass the law
          > themselves). For example, Douglas Bruce has
          repeatedly had his tax
          > reduction initiatives shot down with the excuse that
          they addressed
          > multiple issues.
          >
          > > Also, what are the ballot access laws like in CO?
          >
          > Currently one of the easiest in the US.
          >
          > Cheers,
          > - Jan

          __

          Terms of Service.

          =====
          G. Perez

          Voicemail and pager: 1.800.699.2466, mailbox 303.285.4636
          Numeric pager: 303.879.5050
          www.geocities.com/gpdenp

          Learning, developing, exploring, and navigating knowledge paths

          http://vote.yahoo.com