thank you

  • Art Goodtimes
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 18, 2001
      hi, this is art goodtimes. green county commissioner in san miguel
      county, the county seat in telluride.

      the green party of colorado is very interested in IRV.

      i look forward to discussing this proposal here.

      thanks,

      art
    • David Aitken
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 18, 2001
        At 06:23 PM 1/18/01 -0700, you wrote:
        >hi, this is art goodtimes. green county commissioner in san miguel
        >county, the county seat in telluride.
        >
        >the green party of colorado is very interested in IRV.
        >
        >i look forward to discussing this proposal here.
        >
        >thanks,
        >
        >art

        Hi, Art:

        As you may know, there was a minor party summit last Saturday here in
        Denver. All four minor parties were present - Libertarians, Greens,
        Natural Law, and Colorado Reform. We heard from Bill Compton, Elections
        Officer from the Secretary of State's office. The SOS asked me to
        represent the minor parties on her Elections Task Force and I agreed to do so.

        At the meeting, I told folks that I would try and do a couple of things: 1)
        protect the minor party bill that was passed two years ago; 2) work to
        improve voter registration so we can get our party names listed of the
        forms; 3) work to solve some of the voter registration problems that people
        mentioned; and 4) let other task force members know that we are interested
        in IRV so that if and when they buy new voting equipment, they will,
        hopefully, buy equipment that will handle IRV. IRV won't happen this year;
        it's too late, but maybe we can lay some legislative groundwork later in
        the year after the session, maybe collect some ideas of what the bill
        should look like, and so forth. There's a bunch of good stuff at
        www.fairvote.org, if you haven't been there.

        Given the mix of minor political parties, I suspect that our main areas of
        cooperation will be with things like voter registration, ballot access,
        voter education, and IRV. Those, I am sure, will keep us plenty
        busy. There were some other areas where we may be working together, too.
        Things like a minor party newspaper, public tv programs, educational video,
        debate access, initiatives, candidate training, and outreach to new voters
        were briefly discussed at the summit.

        Unless there are objections from the moderator, I will use this list to
        keep everyone informed on what happens with the task force.

        BTW, the task force has a representative from just about every interest
        group you can think of - Secretary of State, D's and R's (both House and
        Senate as well as party reps), Gov's office, County Clerks, LWV (I think),
        us, and several other groups I can't remember. I'll find out tomorrow
        (Friday) when we meet at the state capitol for the first time. There's 16
        or 17 people on it.

        David Aitken

        P.S. I'm copying this message to several people who were at the
        summit. You are welcome to join this list,
        instantrunoffco@egroups.com. Just let me know and I'll add you if you're
        not already on. If you are not the chair or contact person on this issue
        for your party, would you please forward it to the person who is.

        PPS. The phone number listed for me on the attendance list you may have
        gotten from Lola Griffin was wrong. It should be 303-831-4334.

        Thanks,

        David Aitken
      • Art Goodtimes
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 18, 2001
          david

          i got a message that i was on this list. i hope so. i'm very
          interested in this.

          i also very much appreciate your message. i was perhaps
          instrumental in convincing Green Party folks internally to
          participate in the recent minor party summit, although i couldn't
          attend myself.

          i'm delighted to hear that you are on the SOS's minor party task
          force. i look forward to regular updates like this one. that will be
          great.

          i like all four of your goals, and support you in all three. if i can help
          in any way, let me know. i am in the leadership of Colorado
          Counties, Inc., and i'm on several committees of the National
          Association of Counties, and attend their conferences.

          i would very much like to work on a draft IRV bill after this year's
          session, with the idea of introducing it in 2002.

          thanks again, david. i look forward to learning who's on this minor
          party task force.

          blessings,

          art goodtimes
          san miguel county commissioner

          To: InstantRunoffCO@egroups.com
          From: David Aitken <daitken@...>
          Date sent: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 21:24:26 -0700
          Send reply to: InstantRunoffCO@egroups.com
          Subject: [InstantRunoffCO] Minor Party Summit

> [...]
          > interest group you can think of - Secretary of State, D's and R's
          > (both House and Senate as well as party reps), Gov's office, County
          > Clerks, LWV (I think), us, and several other groups I can't remember.
          > I'll find out tomorrow (Friday) when we meet at the state capitol for
          > the first time. There's 16 or 17 people on it.
          >
          > David Aitken
          >
          > P.S. I'm copying this message to several people who were at the
          > summit. You are welcome to join this list,
          > instantrunoffco@egroups.com. Just let me know and I'll add you if
          > you're not already on. If you are not the chair or contact person on
          > this issue for your party, would you please forward it to the person
          > who is.
          >
          > PPS. The phone number listed for me on the attendance list you may
          > have gotten from Lola Griffin was wrong. It should be 303-831-4334.

        • Victor A. Good
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 19, 2001
            All,
            I think we have a real opportunity to jump start the IRV solution. Dan
            Johnson/Weinberger, who put this reflector together may already have the
            verbiage needed for an actual law regarding IRV. I gave him Ron Tupa's
            contact info to see if Ron may actually bring it before the legislature
            this session. The sooner it goes up for discussion the sooner we know if
            we will need to proceed through the initiative process. I would like to
            see it brought before the voters in the 2002 election, if possible. As
            far as new voting machines, this would force that purchase.

            As far as the Colorado Reform Party is concerned Wayne Taylor is our
            issues committee chair (wataylor10@...) and Logan Goolsby will be our
            point man to the Minor Party Summits or meetings (calain_@...).
            Could we add both to this reflector?

            I would like to see the formation of a minor party issues committee in
            order to address common issues and cooperative efforts. The IRV issue
            should be first on the agenda for this group. I'll leave the details up
            to Wayne and Logan on our behalf but would caution them as well as all
            others that we don't want to get into debates on issues. If we agree (as
            we do on IRV), then great, lets move forward together on that issue. I
            feel we are making great progress and setting the example for the rest of
            the country. I know of several other states considering similar Summits
            based on our efforts including Texas, California, Connecticut, Georgia,
            North Carolina, New York and I'm sure others! We started the ball
            rolling so we should be proud and looking forward to making the most of
            it!

            Good Luck to ALL,
            Victor Good
            Chairman, Colorado Reform Party

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 19, 2001
              Glad to see that this list is starting to take off!

              visit www.egroups.com/group/instantrunoffCO (worth a visit and registering
              with egroups, as there are lots of good features on the site we can use to
              organize).

              We've got some good statutory language on the www.fairvote.org site as well
              as links to the Alaska initiative and some Georgia legislation at
              www.egroups.com/group/instantrunoff (click on links). That, by the way, is a
              good national list.

              I'm of the opinion that the sooner we get a bill introduced, the better. And
              if there is any purchase of new voting equipment, we have to make sure that
              it is IRV-compatible. That's something we can do at the county level.

              Dan Johnson-Weinberger
              National Field Director
              Center for Voting and Democracy

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 22, 2001
                excellent suggestions, victor.

                and congrats. i saw the new york times piece. i think you're right
                about us being a model for the nation. in large part thanks to you.

                can i post this message on our council listserve and our state
                greenlistserve?

                art

                To: InstantRunoffCO@egroups.com
                From: "Victor A. Good" <vjgood@...>
                Date sent: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 09:37:05 -0800
                Send reply to: InstantRunoffCO@egroups.com

                > All,
                > I think we have a real opportunity to jump start the IRV solution.
                > Dan Johnson/Weinberger, who put this reflector together may already
                > have the verbiage needed for an actual law regarding IRV. I gave him
                > Ron Tupa's contact info to see if Ron may actually bring it before the
                > legislature this session. The sooner it goes up for discussion the
                > sooner we know if we will need to proceed through the initiative
                > process. I would like to see it brought before the voters in the 2002
                > election, if possible. As far as new voting machines, this would
                > force that purchase.
                >
                > As far as the Colorado Reform Party is concerned Wayne Taylor is our
                > issues committee chair (wataylor10@...) and Logan Goolsby will be
                > our point man to the Minor Party Summits or meetings
                > (calain_@...). Could we add both to this reflector?
                >
                > I would like to see the formation of a minor party issues committee in
                > order to address common issues and cooperative efforts. The IRV issue
                > should be first on the agenda for this group. I'll leave the details
                > up to Wayne and Logan on our behalf but would caution them as well as
                > all others that we don't want to get into debates on issues. If we
                > agree (as we do on IRV), then great, lets move forward together on
                > that issue. I feel we are making great progress and setting the
                > example for the rest of the country. I know of several other states
                > considering similar Summits based on our efforts including Texas,
                > California, Connecticut, Georgia, North Carolina, New York and I'm
                > sure others! We started the ball rolling so we should be proud and
                > looking forward to making the most of it!
                >
                > Good Luck to ALL,
                > Victor Good
                > Chairman, Colorado Reform Party

              • Victor a Good