Fidelipac Model 600 Cartridges

  • Jeff Klocke
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 8, 2004
      Hi -

      Before we started using ChurchBells, our church had a Schulmerich
      Carillon that played Fidelipac Model 600 cartridges. We still have
      the carts, and I am wondering if anyone has any ideas on how we could
      transfer the songs to a format that ChurchBells could play. We have
      some wonderful carts that people have given money for over the years,
      and would love to be able to continue to share them with our
      community.

      Thanks!

      Jeff Klocke
      Holy Trinity Lutheran Church
      St. Louis, MO
    • jmcall90@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 8, 2004
        Jeff,

        Can you record the cartridges to cassette or CD?  If so, they can be run into the computer from the cassette or CD then saved as sound files which you can put in the ChurchBells directory.  I did this with several old albums that our church had, and it works quite well.

        Marvin McAllister
      • dugwaycat@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 8, 2004

          Hello Jeff,
          Fidelipac is the old pre-runner to 8 track, if my memory serves me. If you still have the old carillon player, you should be able to copy the bells to your computer by connecting the output audio of the carillon to the audio input on your audio board. With the proper software, you should be able to convert the Fidelipac audio into the Wav format that works in Churchbells.

          Before I go into detail, do you have the old carillon player? If not, it could be much more difficult.

          Let me know if you have the old Shulmeric or not?
          Bill
        • Bill Carpenter
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 8, 2004
            Hi,

            One of the problems that you may have with the
            Fedelipac Cartridge (which is a 4 track)is that the
            biggest problem with these and 8 tracks were that they
            had to use "lubrecated tape" to work properly. When
            this dried out the force required to move the tape
            went up very fast and very soon the pinch roller would
            slip on the capstan and now pull the tape from the
            cartridge. My player would still pull tape but the wow
            & flutter was very bad, so I did not transfer any of
            the 6 carts that we have for the same type of system.
            I cut up the chassis and am still using the amplifier
            and switching and monitor speaker and just pulled the
            output of a retired laptop running on a salaged AC
            power supply and it all works fine.

            I have worked with magnetic recorders of all types in
            my professonal life, and built a product with a
            Fidelipack cart in 1961.

            Good Luck with your project. Bill Carpenter, St. Luke
            Lutheran Church, Sunnyvale, CA

            The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
            http://my.yahoo.com
          • Jeff Klocke
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 8, 2004
              Thanks to Marvin, Bill & Bill for replying so quickly.

              We still have the old carillon system - but all it does it eat the
              cartridges. Someone did some research a few years back and thought
              the rollers all needed to be replaced. We found an old laptop and a
              spare amp for ChurchBells and all works great. I guess what I was
              really wondering is if there was anybody who had the ability to make
              a copy of the carts we have?

              Thanks again -

              Jeff
            • jmcall90@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 8, 2004
                Sorry I don't have the ability to copy the carts.

                Marvin
              • dugwaycat@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 8, 2004
                  Hello Jeff,
                  If no one has a cart player to run and copy the 4 track cartridges, your only out may be to get the cart player in your carillon working again. If you have an electronics engineer or technician in your congregation who would donate the time, it could be done. Below are a couple of sites that could help get you started.

                  Another idea, would be to check with some of your local radio stations to see if they still have a cart player that would play your cartridges. Radio stations used cart machines to play spots for their station, back in the 70s and 80s.

                  I don't have any 4 track players, just some old 8 track equipment. Because 4 track cartridges are similar in some ways, I have included a web site for 8 track cartridge repair.  I was having problems with cartridges that had enormous amounts of wow and flutter. Some would not transport tape at all. I repaired some of my 8 track cartridges using the info on the web site and they work like new.
                  Bill