EpiDoc training, Lausanne, July 7

  • Gabriel Bodard
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5, 2014
      *Introducing the EpiDoc Collaborative: TEI XML and tools for encoding
      classical source texts*

      Training workshop at the Digital Humanities conference, Lausanne,
      Switzerland, Monday, July 7, 2014

      Gabriel Bodard, Charlotte Tupman (King’s College London), Greta Franzini
      and Simona Stoyanova (University of Leipzig)

      Information on the timing and venue of the DH 2014 workshops, and how to
      book can be found at the conference website: http://dh2014.org/workshops/

      The workshop will give a short introduction to the history and
      theoretical basis of EpiDoc, guidelines, schema and related tools for
      the encoding of epigraphic and other ancient text editions in TEI XML.
      We will give an overview of the structure of a traditional epigraphic or
      papyrological edition, and show how TEI elements are mapped to the
      semantic distinctions and fields therein, followed by a parallel
      discussion of the Leiden Conventions and how we map TEI elements to the
      semantic features that they represent. The core of the training will be
      hands-on experience of encoding and displaying transcriptions and
      editions of ancient texts.

      The audience for this workshop may include scholars at all levels, from
      students to professors, or professionals with an interest in epigraphic
      or classical texts and digital encoding. Participants who have a
      classical background but only relatively basic understanding of TEI and
      XML are welcome, as are scholars with more knowledge of TEI but a
      different disciplinary background, who might be interested in applying
      EpiDoc to source texts of other languages and periods. We shall not
      expect to explain the principles of TEI or the use of an XML editor, but
      will make every effort to accommodate participants from a range of
      backgrounds and expertise.

      A fuller description of the workshop is at
      <http://www.currentepigraphy.org/2014/05/16/epidoc-training-lausanne-july-7/>

      --
      Dr Gabriel BODARD
      Researcher in Digital Epigraphy