ITN: 2005 Top Online Educators

  • Walter
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2005
      Click Here for the Full Color Web Page version:
      http://surfaquarium.com/NewsLETTER/top_educators_2005.htm

      Surfaquarium Digital Community of Practice
      http://surfaquarium.com/CoP/
      Winter CoPs are up and running - come join us!

      Digital Dozen Newsletter
      http://surfaquarium.com/DD/
      12 links on a hot topic every week in your email!

      Top Online Educators 2005!

      This is the highly anticipated issue of Top Online Educators of
      2005, now in its second year. In creating this honor, I wanted to
      recognize those educators who are singled out by their peers as
      being an inspiration to educators both locally and across the online
      community. At the outset of the search for these individuals I asked
      for nominations of colleagues who are in the trenches doing the work
      of our profession. The thoughtful responses I have received have
      been a pleasure to consider, and in a very real sense everyone who
      is nominated is a standout in our profession in his and her own
      right.

      In addition to this month's newsletter, all nominees are showcased
      on the Innovative Teaching web site for the coming year at
      http://surfaquarium.com/TOP10/ They have each also been notified
      and given a web award which they may showcase on their web sites as
      they continue to make a difference both online and in the classroom
      every day. I encourage you to visit their web sites and contact them
      to congratulate them on this recognition of their accomplishments.

      Thanks to everyone who participated! I now present to you the top
      online educators of 2005:

      DR. KATHRYN ALESANDRINI
      Professor, Applied and Advanced Studies in Education
      University of California, Los Angeles
      Los Angeles, California
      http://www.calstatela.edu/faculty/kalesan/kalesan.htm
      http://www.calstatela.edu/faculty/kalesan/edit420/flier/flier.html
      http://www.usdla.org/html/journal/JAN02_Issue/article03.html

      As an online instructor, Professor Kathryn Alesandrini has been
      teaching online courses for years at California State University,
      Los Angeles and began adding online components to distance
      telecourses in the mid '90s. "Dr. A." (as students refer to her)
      has taught thousands credential and masters students in Education
      and, more recently, teaches an online course introducing the "human
      side of computers" to students in disciplines across the university.
      She has had a significant impact on education in three key ways:
      stimulating students to explore the role and impact of technology in
      society, creating and leveraging multimedia content, and creating
      stimulating Webquests.

      Students explore the many issues surrounding the impact of
      technology on modern life in the broader society in online courses
      that "Dr. A." has designed and taught. Students learn about topics
      such as virtual identity and online communities, privacy in today's
      electronic world, online security and safety, the new economy and e-
      commerce, legal rules and regulations of information use,
      information literacy and the "digital divide" and more.

      "Dr. A." creates and leverages multimedia content, especially video
      and graphics, to bring online content to life. For example, she used
      related clips from a previous telecourse she developed (local area
      broadcast TV with viewer call in) to add human interest to an online
      course. Audio narration was added to online illustrated lectures.
      Then students could supplement the online content with a companion
      CD-ROM containing the video. As more students have broadband access,
      she plans to bring more multimedia content directly online. Her
      academic inquiry into visual constructivism and suggestions for
      practicing online educators can be found among the featured articles
      at the United States Distance Learning Association site at
      http://www.usdla.org/html/journal/JAN02_Issue/article03.html.

      Finally, Kathryn engages students with online activities and
      Webquests that stimulate learning and motivation. She is a major
      proponent of the constructivist approach to learning (see her
      article entitled "Teachers Bridge to Constructivism" available
      directly here or by clicking the article title listed at
      http://www.aea11.k12.ia.us/curriculum/science/constructivist.html.
      Some of the Webquests for her online course on the human side of
      computers can be found at
      http://www.calstatela.edu/faculty/kalesan/edit420/webquests/webquests
      .html.

      - D. Jessica Stumpp

      TAMI BRASS
      Technology Coordinator
      Oak-Land Junior High School
      Lake Elmo, Minnesota
      http://raider.stillwater.k12.mn.us/

      During the past school year, Mrs. Brass has been central to
      instituting a 1:1 laptop initiative at our school. She has been
      responsible for designing the program, developing policies, training
      staff, training students... We are the first 1:1 public junior high
      in Minnesota.

      She is an incredible asset to our school. She has done an
      outstanding job of designing and redesigning our school's website.
      She is constantly learning and exploring and sharing the knowledge
      she gains with all of the staff. She searches the web just to find
      sites to help us educate our students in a more meaningful and
      technologically rich environment. Her excitement is contagious.
      There is not a staff member at our school that has not been
      positively influenced by Tami's dedication.

      - Katy Pupungatoa

      PHYL BURGER
      Instructor
      University of Wisconsin-Stout
      Menomonie, Wisconsin
      http://www.uwstout.edu/soe/profdev/safeschool/faculty.html

      My nomination for one of the top online educators is Phyl Burger.
      Phyl Burger teaches Bullying in Schools, a popular online course at
      the University of Wisconsin-Stout. Phyl helps educators around the
      world take a proactive stand to keep schools safe for everyone. She
      facilitates a highly interactive asynchronous learning experience
      and helps educators develop action plans that involve the school
      staff, parents and community. Her Web-based course activities
      provide the opportunity to work with different class members, and
      everyone benefits from the diverse experiences.

      Phyl helps teachers who are new to the online learning environment
      feel comfortable, welcome, and engaged. She's a tremendous example
      of a warm, friendly distance learning facilitator who provides swift
      and thoughtful feedback to each of her students and assists in their
      personal and professional growth experience.

      Participants in her Bullying in Schools course say:

      "This class has had a huge impact on my classroom. I have been using
      a program from this course for morning meetings and have seen a huge
      change in my students. My kids are more caring and receptive to each
      other. They are becoming much better listeners and my classroom has
      a family like atmosphere." ~ Elementary Teacher, Rhode Island

      "This is a course that will keep your attention and arouse your
      inner spirit." ~ Third Grade Teacher, Kaiserslautern, Germany

      "I like the way I have bonded with the other teachers online. This
      is my first experience with a course online, and I have found it to
      be very beneficial." ~ Language Arts Teacher, Oskaloosa, Iowa

      http://www.uwstout.edu/soe/profdev/safeschool/index.html
      http://www.uwstout.edu/ur/np/2004/fea_bully_sb.html
      http://www.uwstout.edu/ur/np/2004/fea_bully.html

      Also, this spring Phyl is teaching a new course Mentoring Teachers:
      http://www.uwstout.edu/soe/profdev/mentor/

      - Joan Vandervelde

      BROTHER WILLIAM CLIFFORD, CSC
      Associate Superintendent for Instruction and Technology
      Diocese of Brooklyn Schools
      Brooklyn, New York
      http://www.dobschools.org/

      As Associate Superintendent for Instruction and Technology since
      1998 Br. William Clifford services 68,000 PreK – Grade 12 students
      in 167 Catholic elementary and high schools in the Diocese of
      Brooklyn, NY. Through the efforts of Br. Clifford this richly
      multicultural and mainly middle class population enjoys excellent
      instruction, software, and today's business technology as they
      prepare for the future.

      Bro. Bill's service and contributions include:

      -presenting at state and national educational conferences
      -NY State approved reader for school technology plans
      -reviews E-rate applications
      -developed a centralized registry of information, eMail and forums
      for the diocese: http://www.DOBschools.org
      -supports (with his expertise and presence) technology coordinators
      and computer-using teachers via Computer Circles
      http://www.sfaschool.org/GRADES/CompEd/ComputerCircles/researchsites.
      htm (Several Circlers have received national awards; most have
      received competitive grant funding for their schools.)
      -encouraged Circlers to develop school web pages;
      http://www.dobschools.org/diocesan.htm
      -maintains a diocesan First Class system of email, forums, chats for
      administrators and technology coordinators
      -posts multiple grant opportunities, contests, etc.
      -obtains monies and other resources to advance technology e.g. smart
      boards, laptop carts, Dana handheld computers, Classroom Performance
      System, scientific probes, etc.
      -facilitates fair and equitable distribution of resources among
      schools
      -suggests both hardware and software ordering information
      http://www.dobschools.org/software_suggestions.htm
      -provides technology staff development and encourages teachers to
      share their expertise with peers through a diocesan program of
      structured in-service workshops
      http://www.DOBschools.org/wksmtgs.htm
      -gives multiple in-service classes and follows up with individual
      encouragement and support

      Br. Bill's bottom line: supply the "goods", provide educator in-
      service, be available for questions to offer the individual student
      the opportunity to succeed.

      We proudly nominate Br. Bill as a Top Online Educator.

      - Janet Peters

      BRENDA DYCK
      Middle School Teacher
      Masters Academy and College
      Calgary, Alberta
      http://www.masters.ab.ca/bdyck/Homeless/
      http://www.masters.ab.ca/bdyck/StreetStories/
      http://www.masters.ab.ca/bdyck/face/

      The Web-based projects Brenda Dyck develops for students are
      substantive, meaningful explorations of real-world issues which
      middle schoolers are ready to explore. I recommend any and all of
      these fine examples of technology integration.

      Brenda strives to expose teachers to various tools that when used
      will challenge students to implement higher level thinking skills
      while participating in online project learning. She is an amazing
      educator and deserves to win this honor.

      - Karen Kliegman

      KAREN ELLIS
      Founder, Owner, CEO
      Educational CyberPlayground
      Guavaberry Books
      http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/

      As owner of Educational CyberPlayground, Karen has been developing
      online educational content for years. SHe has been doing a lot of
      site work recently, making it easier to navigate through the 1700
      pages of content found there!

      In the last couple of years Karen began hosting Gleason's Sackman's
      newsletters (NetHappenings, K12 Newsletters and Network News), which
      she has taken on as her own project with Gleason's retirement (enjoy
      yourself Gleasonm - you've earned it!). Karen saw it as a major
      privilege to be a part of Gleason's efforts and she felt it was a
      piece of K-12 online history that shouldn't be allowed to disappear.
      You can find them at http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Community/index.html
      where they are published on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Karen handles
      about 500 emails a day, scanning for cool stuff to send to the
      lists.

      Karen has also kept Gleason's Hot List submissions going, and is
      currently in the middle of updating the Hot List Registry of K12
      schools - which he had started first before any one else got into
      it. Check it out at http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Schools/default.asp.
      The database redesign should be up this month.

      A personal passion of hers, Karen tries to get ed techs, classroom
      and music teachers to record childrens' songs and submit them to the
      online library project she created called the National Children's
      Folksong Repository [NCFR] http://www.edu-
      cyberpg.com/Culdesac/Repository/NCFR.html. Last fall she
      evenproduced a video about it that is streamed at http://www.edu-
      cyberpg.com/Culdesac/Repository/ecprm.html.

      For all of her efforts on behalf of educators everywhere, Karen
      Ellis is truly deserving of this recognition!

      -Walter McKenzie

      SHAE JOHNSON
      Fourth Grade Teacher
      Greenwood Laboratory School
      College of Education at Southwest Missouri State University
      http://courses.smsu.edu/ckj271f/

      Shae Johnson has been teaching for 32 years now with 21 in the
      fourth grade. She was went through educational/technology training
      in 2001-2002 with the eMINTS
      http://www.emints.org/about/index.shtml professional development
      available in Missouri schools. She has a classroom of 30 students,
      15 computers, a workstation, scanner, digital camera, a SmartBoard,
      and various college practicum and student teachers.

      Shae's website is outstanding. It has been designed to be an
      integral part of the fourth grade curriculum, and she spends many
      hours updating and maintaining it. Her 9 and 10 year-old students
      as well as the college students who come into the room and parents
      benefit by the wealth of information that is on the web.

      Shae's instruction includes inquiry learning techniques as well as
      direct instruction where the children are allowed to explore, ask
      questions, develop reports, models, experiments, presentations and
      much more. Students learn how to do research, write reflective
      The classroom environment is exciting and enthusiastic, nurturing
      and stimulating. It is a place where children are allowed to talk,
      move about, work in partnerships and cooperative groups. If you
      view her website, you will see so much about what goes on in the
      classroom.

      Many area teachers, especially those who are now learning eMINTS
      instruction, come to visit the classroom, use her website, email her
      with questions, and she is always available to help. College
      Education students are placed in her classroom so they may learn
      more about eMINTS and classroom management, inquiry learning, and
      hands-on education. They leave knowing so much more than the
      theories; they learn practical applications.

      Nine and ten year olds learn lots of information, but they also
      learn much about technology and Internet by the time the year is
      ended. The learn self-evaluation techniques, they learn poise in
      presentations, they learn how to work with a team and with
      partnerships, and they learn to reflect on their lessons and
      thinking. Weaved into the entire curriculum is service learning.
      Foundations are set at this level, citizenship is strong, and
      learning how to apply their learning to help the community is
      integral in her students' education.

      MARY KOHMUENCH
      High School Business Multimedia Teacher
      Lakeland Regional High School
      Wanaque, New Jersey
      http://www.in-visions.net/

      Mary has been an educator for the past 30 years. She has worked
      extensively in the integration of technology in teaching. Over 12
      years ago, Mary established a multimedia lab that is used by all
      departments in her high school. She was also instrumental in
      establishing and developing her high school's web site. She
      currently teaches Publications 1, 2, and 3 and Multimedia
      Presentations. She not only teaches students, but has done a great
      deal in training teachers at her school as well as members of the
      community.

      At her web site, http://www.in-visions.net , she posts tutorials,
      useful links, assignments for her classes, and shares her work with
      other teachers. She also has two Web Quests that teachers may use.
      She has presented at workshops and encourages teachers to help
      themselves to her lesson plans and also encourages them to share
      lessons they develop with other teachers. Mary has strived to put
      as much of her curriculum online for the students to use. Not only
      does she post assignments, tutorials and links, but also has various
      forms for the students to fill out online.

      Mary has and continues to share her knowledge with her students,
      teachers, and the people she meets. I hope you find her web site to
      be useful.

      - Brenda Wood

      CAROL ANNE MCGUIRE
      Teacher of the Blind and Visually Impaired
      Imperial Elementary School
      Anaheim, California
      http://www.rockourworld.org/
      http://homepage.mac.com/carolannemcguire/iMovieTheater1.html

      When you visit Carol AnnE's website (USA's message to Oprah) you
      will surely be inspired by her enthusiasm in promoting the "Rock Our
      World" project she has created:

      "Rock Our World" is an International project involving 9 classes in
      8 countries on 6 continents. It incorporates the entire iLife Suite:
      Garage Band, iPhoto, iTunes and iMovie. Students from each country
      share their stories through words, still pictures and movies. Then
      they compose songs together in a truly collaborative effort!

      Be sure to visit all of the links on her website to see the
      incredible learning that is taking place for her students. More
      projects are being planned. She is simply amazing!

      - Charlene Chausis

      JAMES MUSGRAVE
      Instructor
      Grossmont College
      El Cajon, California
      http://www.grossmont.net/musgrave2/

      Jim's Grammar and Research Hospital (password protected) opens with
      grim sounding organ mousic and the introduction:

      'Do your returned papers look like the Battle of Gettysburg has been
      fought on them?
      Have you battled with the deadly microfiche in the bowels of the
      library and lost?
      You've come to the right place! We're here to fix you up!'

      The resulting menu offers a variety of topics on writing and
      researching at the college level, with a healthy does of levity to
      keep perspective as students work through the site. The lessons,
      tutorials, sampe papers and online tests all provide stduents with
      the tools to master college english skills.

      Jim explains:

      "As I believe my students need some humor to go along with their
      online studies, I created this site. It has already been recognized
      by the international panel of San Diego's SIGKIDS, and the site was
      developed under a grant for an online course by the California
      Virtual Campus, Section 3. The streaming video was kindly made
      possible by Blaine V. Morrow at Palomar College. I use it in my
      online English classes as a major component in the "research and
      argument" phase of their curriculum."

      WILLIAM RICHARDSON
      Supervisor of Instructional Technology and Communications
      Hunterdon Central Regional High School
      Flemington, New Jersey
      http://www.weblogg-ed.com/

      Will has been one of the most influential people in getting web logs
      (blogs) used in K-12 schools across the US. His blog is probably the
      most widely read blog among educators.

      His list of contibutions, articles, and presentations, includes such
      topics as:

      -The potential of the Read/Write Web in the classroom
      T-he uses of Weblogs in the classroom
      -The new Internet literacies that these technologies demand
      -How schools can use these tools to improve communications

      Will was on stage during one of the keynotes at NECC in New Orleans
      this past summer and has been quoted in many articles from major
      publications. Will is one of the Tech Insiders for eSchool News.

      - Craig Nansen

      Surfaquarium Digital Community of Practice (CoP)
      Not just an online course - an online learning community!

      Led by Walter!

      Hurry - Winter CoPs are off and running ~
      Now registering for February sessions!

      Join a CoP and have access through June 2005!

      MI Immersion: A Survey of Nine Intelligences (10 weeks)
      http://surfaquarium.com/CoP/MISurvey/

      Ways of Knowing: Multiple Intelligences and Technology (10 weeks)
      http://surfaquarium.com/CoP/MI&IT/

      Building Bridges: Unit Development for the Information Age (5 weeks)
      http://surfaquarium.com/CoP/BB/

      Design Your Own Virtual Field Trip (5 weeks)
      http://surfaquarium.com/CoP/VFT/

      Build Your Own WebQuest (5 weeks)
      http://surfaquarium.com/CoP/WQ/

      Completely Online ~ Project-Based ~ Built for Success!

      Next Month's ITN Topic: "Earth Day"

      Find More Great Resources at

      The Innovative Teaching Web Site
      http://surfaquarium.com/IT/ and

      The Innovative Teaching Newsletter Archive
      http://surfaquarium.com/NEWSLETTER/

      This newsletter may be forwarded or copied provided the header and
      signature information remain intact. Show a colleague what you have
      found in Innovative Teaching!

      ©2005 Walter McKenzie