A new widget: Snap Preview Anywhere

  • Deborah Elizabeth Finn
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2007
      Dear ISF Colleagues,

      I'm experimenting on my blog <www.cyber-yenta.org> with a new widget
      called Snap Preview Anywhere <http://www.snap.com/about/spa1B.php>,
      and I'm interested to know whether other folks have used it. What do
      you think of it, and do you recommend it to nonprofits for their web
      sites?

      The basic idea is that Snap Preview Anywhere creates a small popup box
      when a reader moves the mouse over a link in your web site. The box
      shows a snapshot of the web page that is associated with your link.

      On the whole, I think that this is great for visual thinkers, who can
      quickly determine whether they've already seen the page without
      leaving your web site. The downside is that Snap Preview Anywhere can
      be very slow, which may make it more of an annoyance than a
      convenience. And of course, not everyone reading your web page is a
      visual thinker.

      What do you think?

      Many thanks and best regards from Deborah

      Deborah Elizabeth Finn
      Boston, Massachusetts, USA
      deborah_elizabeth_finn@...
      www.cyber-yenta.org

      "What is good...but to do justice, to love mercy, and to walk humbly
      with your god?" (Micah 6:8)
    • Patricia Perkins
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2007
        I noticed this on your site and a few others'. I found it intrusive, not as bad as a pop-up window selling something, but still distracting. Not a widget I want for my site.

        Trish Perkins
        Worlds Touch
        http://www.worldstouch.org

        "Strengthening the worlds helping hands."
      • Deborah Elizabeth Finn
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 3, 2007
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 3, 2007
            On a related note, Boingboing found instructions on how to block snap previews on your browser:

            http://www.boingboing.net/2007/02/02/how_to_disable_snap_.html

            --
            Peter Campbell * http://blog.krazy.com