Re: Simple database

  • james jones
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2006
      I noticed this project on freshmeat a while back - http://freshmeat.net/projects/sheltermanager/

      Here is the projects homepage - http://sheltermanager.sourceforge.net/news.php

      James

      -----original message-----
      >>I am inquiring about an easy to use database for a NPO no kill animal shelter. At work I use Raiser's Edge, far to $$$$$ and detailed for the work required at the shelter. However we do need some of the higher order modules, e.g. tracking donations, solicitor lists, constituents would be both adopter and the adoptee. DAWS [Danbury Animal Welfare Society] uses QuickBooks currently, and I don't see them leaving that system at this time, although a basic financial module wouldn't be bad-as it is always good to have programs be able to interact and draw information from one another.>>
    • Steve Wishengrad
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2006
        Hi Liz,

        You might also want to consider the Organizer's Database (ODB): http://www.organizersdb.org

        It is an easy to use, open source database that has the ability to track donations, pledges, interests, constituencies, activities, etc.

        I've also written an add-on that provides a way to add new modules to the database that allow for more complex data tracking (new one-to-many relationships). For example using the add-on a consultant could implement a volunteer tracking system, an event management system or even a "who knows who" relationship manager.

        It is also possible using the QuickBooks API to implement an interface from ODB to QuickBooks so that the data only needs to be entered once.

        Feel free to contact me off-list if you'd like more information.

        Take care,

        Steve.

        Steve Wishengrad
        The Data Collaborative, Inc.
        email: <mailto:steve@...> steve@...
        web: http://www.datacollaborative.com
        voice: 617-395-8094

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 1, 2006
            You might find our article on lost cost constituent databases useful, at http://www.idealware.org/articles/fgt_low_cost_dbs.php.

            I suspect you'll want to track a fair amount of stuff that's specific to animal shelters, and thus will want something either tailored to shelter management or fairly customizable. The open source solution James mentions seems worth looking into (I don't know anything about it specifically), or you might look at the quite customizable solutions like Metrix or Salesforce mentioned in our article.

            Laura

            --
            Laura S. Quinn
            Idealware
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 1, 2006
              Liz,

              I wrote a roundup of inexpensive donor databases for TechSoup: http://www.techsoup.org/learningcenter/databases/page1642.cfm?CFID=19995712& CFTOKEN=35859149 aka http://tinyurl.com/psns5

              (It's a summary of a TechSoup discussion, not a product comparison.)

              Robert
              __________________________

              Robert L. Weiner Consulting
              Strategic Technology Advisors to Nonprofit and Educational Institutions
              San Francisco, CA

              robert@...
              415/643-8955

              www.rlweiner.com
            • Clif Graves
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 2, 2006
                Hi Liz, I have selfservingly to point out NorthStarDb. NorthStarDb is designed to be easy to use yet flexible. Far easier and less costly than Razors edge. You might want to take a look at http://www.northstardb.com and http://www.ebase.org

                Clif
                --
                Clif Graves Consulting
                cgraves@... -http://www.clifgraves.com

                Serving clients throughout the United States and Canada with:
                * NorthStarDb http://www.northstardb.com/
                * ebase consulting
                * Training, Data conversion
                * Management / Work flow consulting
                * Custom FileMaker software development
              • Nick Gleason
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 2, 2006
                  Liz,

                  Hi there. Depending on the size of your organization, you may qualify for our software donation program at CitySoft. More info is available here: http://www.citysoft.com/donationprogram.

                  Good luck!

                  Nick Gleason | CitySoft, Inc. | http://www.citysoft.com

                  Direct: (617) 899-5395 | Fax: (617) 507-0444

                  Spend Less >> Do More - Community Enterprise
                  combines great features with an affordable price.