RE: (ISF) Anyone have experience with internet connection aggretating routers?

  • Joe Magueta
    Message 1 of 6 , May 31, 2006
      I tend to believe that also Hong.

      Thanks for all the replies everyone. All of the information was helpful in
      clearing up my next step. I think I'll definitely give the aggregating
      router a try though the way it is with this DSL provider they manage their
      own routers and I'm pretty sure they don't supply link aggregation. :-)
      I definitely appreciated the DNS round robin because that addressed the load
      balancing issue for both inbound and outbound traffic. Yet, the option of
      different DSL connections for different functions is also appealing for
      considerations other than bandwidth such as security. Clearly, I can't
      conceive of a solution that doesn't integrate all three of the above
      options. The Linux routers are nice but it may be more cost effective for
      my clients to buy a prepackaged solution rather than having us set that up
      for them.

      Terminal and remote services would be nice but right now it isn't something
      that they're receptive to. They argue things like they can't access their
      files if either the server or the internet connection is down, and they
      don't enjoy the reduced colours and the potential lag. My personal
      consideration is that they only have one server for their Exchange, VPN,
      Domain controller, DHCP, DNS, File server, print server, and web server
      (though this is more of an intranet). I think adding Terminal Services to
      that machine would be a nightmare waiting to happen for a variety of
      reasons. :-)

      Once again thanks to all those who replied to my post it was not just
      helpful but educational too.

      Joe