Re: Conference follow up

  • Dan Bassill
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 31, 2006
      I hope that the Technology Conference was inspirational and encouraged continued on-line networking and collaboration.

      I lead the Tutor/Mentor Connection and have been hosting conferences, web sites, etc. for the past 13 years in an effort to build what I call a "network of purpose". At http://www.alado.net/webheads you can view a presentation on this topic that I delivered in the Webheads convergence last November.

      The next Chicago conference will be May 25 and 26 and you can view the speaker list and schedule at http://www.tutormentorconference.bigstep.com For those working with youth, or who focus on building capacity and distribution of needed services in large geographic areas, this conference might be interesting to you.

      Since 99.999% of the people in the world will never come to Chicago for the T/MC conference, we've begun to create an on-line version. The eConference schedule for the May and June conference is growing. It's at http://www.tutormentorconference.bigstep.com/generic54.html

      You'll see that MENTOR/The National Mentoring Partnership and MENTOR EXCHANGE of the National Mentoring Center are each hosting week long discussions in their portals and that I'm going to be leading a discussion in the Social Edge portal.

      I'm still adding to this and hope that something will develop in LearningTimes or TESOL or in other technology-based networks.

      One topic that I feel would be really useful is a discussion of WEBQUESTS. I think the big challenge for organizations working with k-12 kids is to motivate youth to use the computer for learning and enrichment during their free time, instead of music, games, chat, etc. I also think the idea of webquests could be used to draw a youth into the web, lead them to interesting learning/enrichment activities, and build motivation to come back to those activities at other times. Since many of the people I've met in Webheads and other technology lists already use webquests, or similar concepts, my feeling is that a library of proven Webquests could be created and made available to mentors and tutors and kids throughout the world.

      Is that possible? Is it already happening? Where is it? How do we teach our volunteers, and parents, to mentor kids to use these?

      If someone would want to develop this into a week long discussion for May and future eConferences, I think we could build an audience out of the groups who we'll be reaching in May and June.

      If you have other suggestions for participation in these conferences, please email me at tutormentor2@...

      Dan Bassill
      Tutor/Mentor Connection
      http://tutormentor.blogspot.com