Re: Laptop advice

  • Zac Mutrux
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 31, 2006
      Apple notebooks are great, but any Windows software you already have won't run on a Mac. You might be eligible for upgrade (crossgrade) pricing if there is a Mac version of the software available, though.

      I recommend Lenovo (formerly IBM) laptops for tops in reliability. I also recommend Dell laptops.

      http://www.lenovo.com/us/en/
      http://www.dell.com/

      Zac
    • Scott Trudeau
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 1, 2006
        Claudia,

        If you stick with PCs, in my experience, IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads are
        generally the best, if not always the best value.

        However, if you're considering an Apple, I encourage you to seriously
        consider it. I love my 12" Powerbook (and my 15" Powerbook and 12"
        iBook before it). IMO, Apple's pricing on laptops is pretty close to
        competitive if you compare them to IBM ThinkPads (though Apple has
        been lagging in processor power, which will be fixed as they roll out
        Intel-based machines). Which brings up an important point, with
        Apple switching its processors in its machines, you need to consider
        whether to buy the new MacBook or an iBook or Powerbook. IMO, if you
        plan to upgrade in three years (or sooner), a PPC-based machine would
        be the best choice. If not, I'd be inclined toward the Macbook ...
        but I'm not too excited about their first offering, and few apps are
        currently available native. So it's hard to make a recommendation if
        you're looking for something to last 4-6 years.

        Other things to consider are whether and how you might be hamstrung
        by not running Windows. If you don't need to run MS Access nor run
        IE 6 on Windows for specific non-standard web resources (the two
        biggest hangups I see w/ Mac users), and you just do Dreamweaver +
        Adobe suite + Office stuff, the Mac would be great. I have yet to
        meet a Mac user who regrets her/his switching.

        If you do go Apple, buy more RAM. At least 1 GB if not 1.5-2.0 GB.
        It makes more of a difference than an incremental processor
        improvement. If you HEAVILY use Adobe/Dreamweaver, I'd be looking at
        a 12" or 15" Powerbook. If you're not a super-heavyweight user you
        would probably do just fine with an iBook.

        Also, don't forget if you already own Macromedia/Adobe software, you
        will likely have to buy new licenses for the Mac version. Not a big
        deal if you planned to upgrade anyway, but a significant cost otherwise.

        Scott

        Message 3 of 29 , Feb 1, 2006
          I'm no expert, but I love my IBM T40! (Okay, I know that sounds hokey; sorry.) Not sure about the weight, but fairly light, with a slim profile. Can handle any software I've thrown at it so far: MS Office, OpenOffice, Adobe Photoshop, etc. A bit on the expensive side, but not, I think, as pricey as Apples. (By the way, I also love Apple laptops.) Good luck!

          David

          J. David Gibbs
          Executive Director
          The Family Institute of Cambridge, Inc.
          51 Kondazian Street
          Watertown, Massachusetts 02472
          Tel: 617-924-2617
          Fax: 617-924-5111

          "Somewhere in your community or organization, groups of people are already doing things differently and better. To create lasting change, find these areas of positive deviance and fan their flames." -- Jerry Sternin and Richard Pascale
        • LionsMike@aol.com
          Message 4 of 29 , Feb 1, 2006
            There were a lot of problems caused by heat in P4 computers with processors over 1.5 Gig. The Centrino processors seem to have overcome that problem., and they are designed for very mobile use.

            You said that you don't "need all the bells and whistles" You would probably be better off with a refurbished $1800.00 laptop for $700.00 than an $800.00 bottom of the line unit.

            Mike Sumner
            Webmaster District 33S
            Lions Clubs International
            LionsMike@...
            http://www.lions-33s.org

          • Golfermts@aol.com
            Message 5 of 29 , Feb 1, 2006
              Virtual PC runs on a Mac platform and literally devotes a portion of the hard drive to the running of PC applications/Windows XP. Any application that runs on Windows XP will run on Virtual PC. However, it is important to note that Virtual PC works on the PowerBook G4, but not on the newly released MacBook Pro with Intel chip (Virtual PC is being re-written to run on the new Macs, but won't be available until 2007).

            • Thomas Chen
              Message 6 of 29 , Feb 1, 2006
                I have a rack of Netapp S270 to be backed up to tapes and I am currently using Veritas Backup Exec to back up my Windows Server, is there a way to back up the N Netapp with Backup Exec? Thanks.

              • Deborah Elizabeth Finn
                Message 7 of 29 , Feb 1, 2006
                  Message 8 of 29 , Feb 1, 2006
                    VirtualPC on PPC machines (anything but the Macbook) is SLOOOW (oh, and you *really* need a lot of RAM if you're going to bother). Functional, but not something I'd count on except for desperate occasions. I use it on rare occasion to run Access. Virtual PC for the OSX-Intel (or VMWARE or other products) will probably be MUCH faster -- but they're not on the market yet.

                    Scott

                    >> Virtual PC runs on a Mac platform and literally devotes a portion
                    of the hard drive to the running of PC applications/Windows XP.
                    Any application that runs on Windows XP will run on Virtual PC.
                    However, it is important to note that Virtual PC works on the
                    PowerBook G4, but not on the newly released MacBook Pro with Intel
                    chip (Virtual PC is being re-written to run on the new Macs, but
                    won't be available until 2007).>>
                  • Robert Weiner
                    Message 9 of 29 , Feb 1, 2006
                      Deborah,

                      I sent this to Claudia, but I'll share it with you and the list as well.

                      Like several of the people who've responded, I'm a big fan of IBM laptops. I've owned several over the past 10 years, and none has died. I had to replace the hard drive on one after 3 years (it was starting to have disk errors, though it still worked fine). IBM sent me a new hard drive under warranty. That machine is now my backup and it still runs well (but SLOW in comparison to my new machine) after 4 years. They're not sexy and they're not the cheapest, but they're reliable and have great keyboards (though at home I use mine with a docking station and external monitor, keyboard, and mouse).

                      I bought a very lightly used T42 off Craigslist about 9 months ago (1GB RAM, 40GB HD, P4 processor, Win XP Pro). I paid about $1,100 for it. It's fast, reasonably light (5.7 lbs with everything in it) and has great battery life with the optional extended battery (which adds extra weight).

                      IBM makes much smaller, lighter models. Their X Series machines start at 2.7 lbs. But I like to have all the peripherals in one package, and I need a reasonably sized keyboard and screen.

                      Robert
                      __________________________

                      Robert L. Weiner Consulting
                      Strategic Technology Advisors to Nonprofit and Educational Institutions
                      San Francisco, CA

                      robert@...
                      415/643-8955

                      www.rlweiner.com

                      >>Funny that you should ask about laptops! The refurbished laptop that I bought last April crashed and died, so I'm the market for a
                      replacement. If you're interested in what I learned about the advantages and disadvantages of buying a refurbished computer, please feel free to take a look at these blog articles: On the acquisition of the refurbished laptop: <http://blog.deborah.elizabeth.finn.com/blog/_archives/2005/4/12/575847.html> >>
                    • Matt Blair
                      Message 10 of 29 , Feb 1, 2006
                        I have to chime in here to say that Virtual PC performance is brutally slow. I have VPC 7 running on a dual processor Power Mac G5(desktop) with 2 gigs of RAM, and it is slower than the slowest Terminal Services session I've ever had, which is really slow. I was hoping to avoid buying another Windows desktop after my old one died, but it's just not good enough. Running a moderate-size query in Access, for example, is click-and-go-make-a-cup-of-tea slow. I can't imagine running it on a laptop.

                        This situation may improve with the new version mentioned below, but until then, I wouldn't have high expectations about running Windows apps on an Apple laptop.

                        Matt

                        >> Virtual PC runs on a Mac platform and literally devotes a portion
                        of the hard drive to the running of PC applications/Windows XP.
                        Any application that runs on Windows XP will run on Virtual PC.
                        However, it is important to note that Virtual PC works on the
                        PowerBook G4, but not on the newly released MacBook Pro with Intel
                        chip (Virtual PC is being re-written to run on the new Macs, but
                        won't be available until 2007).>>
                      • Steve Hanson
                        Message 11 of 29 , Feb 2, 2006
                          Message 12 of 29 , Feb 3, 2006
                            Thomas,

                            There isn't a way that I know of to backup the whole Netapp box (and all the volumes (LUNs) on it) other than using host-based software, such as Backup Exec on each individual host, or...

                            Netapp sells a snapshotting tool (http://www.netapp.com/products/snapshot.html) that you can install on the array, but it's pricey, and I don't know if it would be compatible with your existing hardware.

                            If you want to discuss some alternatives, email me off-list and we can chat.

                            --Ryan
                            Ryan Tacy
                            Broadleaf Services
                            866.337.7733 x19
                            ryan.tacy@...

                              Message 14 of 29 , Feb 6, 2006
                                Message 15 of 29 , Feb 6, 2006
                                  I notice that no one has mentioned Sony VAIOs. Just curious why.

                                  Judy Tiger, Washington DC

                                • McCune
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Feb 7, 2006
                                    PC Magazine publishes regular user satisfaction surveys in print and online covering computer desktops, laptops, ect. See http://pcmag.com

                                    Dell laptops have scored consistently poorly for a long time in those surveys, until very recently. Apple & IBM have done particularly well.

                                    One user's experience: I've been quite happy with a budget model Toshiba Satellite 1135; used it daily for a few years without a glitch.

                                    ---------------------------
                                    McCune
                                    Twin Oaks Intentional Community
                                    138 Twin Oaks Rd
                                    Louisa VA 23093-6337
                                    540 894 5126
                                  • IT Manager
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Feb 7, 2006
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Feb 7, 2006
                                        I have just migrated to a new server, ole one was on its way out, I am running Windows 2003 server and have turned on UAM services for my staff who are on MACs. My Macs can see the server but when they attempt to map/enter it they are denied- they cant get to sign on - yet they are given an error that their id and password are wrong....help!

                                        Thank you in advance

                                        Liz Tsaoussis
                                        Director, IT
                                        Manager, Office and Guest Services

                                        Children's Museum of Manhattan
                                        The Tisch Building
                                        212 West 83rd Street
                                        New York, NY 10024

                                        212. 721 1223 x254

                                        www.cmom.org
                                      • Zac Mutrux
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Feb 7, 2006
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Feb 7, 2006
                                            I don't know about the laptops, but my Vaio desktop is constantly breaking down and did so almost from the beginning. And it doesn't seem to be unique...

                                            Isa

                                          • A.C.Roibas@bton.ac.uk
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Feb 8, 2006
                                              So does mine! ;-)

                                              Anxo

                                              >>I don't know about the laptops, but my Vaio desktop is constantly breaking down and did so almost from the beginning. And it doesn't seem to be unique...>>
                                            • Wang, Hong
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Feb 8, 2006
                                                Liz, here is a site you might find helpful.
                                                http://www.macwindows.com/Win2003.html

                                                I have seem a very similar issue before, I recall something about kerebos, you might have to disable that on the windows server for the authentication to work for the mac.

                                                Hong Wang

                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Feb 8, 2006
                                                    It might have to do with age. I think Taran talked about this elsewhere - older machines were made to last. We got my daughter a SONY Vaio when she started junior high school - and she just graduated from NYU. While she has moved on to a laptop so she can also sit in Starbucks and study for the GRE's online, her SONY sits on a desk - still running beautifully - though also still uses Windows 95!

                                                    Take care,
                                                    Ja Young

                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Feb 8, 2006
                                                        Hi Liz

                                                        Have you set up each share specifically for Macs? The default access is for PCs only. You need to set up each share twice, once as the default for PCs, and then again for Macs.

                                                        Good luck

                                                        Peter Samsa

                                                        Illawarra Forum Inc
                                                        Regional peak organisation for community services
                                                        PO Box 53
                                                        Jamberoo NSW 2533
                                                        Australia
                                                        +61 2 4236 1333
                                                      • kathy kroupa
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Feb 8, 2006
                                                          I guess my experience was different with the Sonys. At first we had Sonys and tried others. After having bad experiences with both Dell's (problems with keys falling off), COmpaq (problem with hinges breaking) we came full circle back to the Sonys. We only had a fleet of about 20...but they worked well enough. ONe send back...but generally good. Sometimes they didn't like 3rd party additional memory.

                                                          But personally i have 2 Viaos...one for about 4 years with no issues. The other is just a year old. No problems.

                                                          Funny that people either love or hate the VIAOs.

                                                          Kathleen A. Kroupa
                                                          11 Rolling Hills Drive
                                                          WIchita, KS 67212-3737
                                                          316.858.5438
                                                          kkroupa@...
                                                        • Dan Scharfman
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Feb 9, 2006
                                                            I find that making the share name 8 characters with no punctuation or spaces really helps.

                                                            Zac Mutrux's observations are right on as well.