Re: Gmail doesn't thread IS Forum

  • Peter Campbell
    Message 1 of 7 , May 31 1:46 PM
      Hmm... I suspect that the vast majority of members use something other
      than GMail, just as I suspect that a vocal minority of us do use it.
      So I'm inclined to think that the Moderator's selective trimming adds
      more value to the group than letting our unique email app thread
      correctly would. Until, as I bet we'll see, GMail becomes the arbiter
      of a new way of reading email, and Outlook, Eudora and all the other
      applications do the same tricks.

      --
      Peter Campbell * http://www.sfgoodwill.org
    • Jacqueline Morris
      Message 2 of 7 , May 31 1:54 PM
        Actually, the trimmed one seems to be threading - this thread is actually working. Not sure what happened before.

        Jacqueline

        --
        ______________________
        Jacqueline Morris
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 2, 2005
          >> Hmm... I suspect that the vast majority of members use something other than GMail, just as I suspect that a vocal minority of us do use it. So I'm inclined to think that the Moderator's selective trimming adds more value to the group than letting our unique email app thread correctly would. Until, as I bet we'll see, GMail becomes the arbiter of a new way of reading email, and Outlook, Eudora and all the other applications do the same tricks.>>

          Some mail clients do threading, and they rely not on the Subject: line
          but on one of the items in the message headers that are normally hidden.

          A message header might include an "In Reply To" or something like it
          which, as the name implies, identifies the mail as a reply to another
          one. Thus, regardless of changes in Subject:, the second mail is
          identified as a reply to the first, and the two are therefore threaded.

          In fact, I wish that was how GMail implemented threading.
          --
          Daniel O. Escasa
          descasa@...