Online donations

  • Dodie
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2005
      Hi

      My name is Dodie and I run a small rural women's shelter in southern Alberta. We are a NP and I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a site where I can learn how to set up our website to be able to take online credit card donations? Thanks in advance!

    • Robert Weiner
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2005
        Hi Dodie,

        I have collected links to lots of articles on this topic on the Resources page of my web site:

        http://www.rlweiner.com/resources.html#fundraising

        In particular, check out the Affinity Resources vendor list and the Alder Consulting "Shoestring" article.

        Robert
        __________________________

        Robert L. Weiner Consulting
        Providing Strategic Technology Consulting to Nonprofits and Education
        San Francisco, CA
        robert@...
        415/643-8955
        www.rlweiner.com

        My name is Dodie and I run a small rural women's shelter in southern
        Alberta. We are a NP and I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a site where I
        can learn how to set up our website to be able to take online credit card
        donations? Thanks in advance!
      • Patrick Shaw
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1, 2005
          Dodie,

          I just sat through a demo with a vendor (www.doubleknot.com <http://www.doubleknot.com/> ) that provides a suite of services, including credit card processing - their entry level price is $50 for 12 months - that does NOT include transaction fees.

          I haven't used any of their services yet, but was impressed enough with their suite of services to pass along the link.

          Warm regards,

          Patrick Shaw

          Consulting Services Coordinator
          NPower Seattle
          206.957.7748 - direct dial
          206.286.8880 - main phone

          NPower is proud to be a strategic content partner for the 2005 Nonprofit Technology Conference in Chicago, helping nonprofits make more effective use of technology to achieve their missions. Learn more at http://www.nten.org/ntc <http://www.nten.org/ntc> .

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 2, 2005
            Personally, I'm a big fan of using Paypal's business services to accept online donations.

            A lot of people stay away from Paypal because they think of it only in terms of people sending money from one Paypal account to another. However, Paypal does handle credit card and electronic check processing for 'business' accounts.

            The cost is very low, I believe about 50 cents per transaction, plus 2.9% processing fee. There is not setup fee and no monthly fee. If your transaction rate gets high enough, they have a lower processing fee.

            So, with Paypal, you can very easily start taking donations online. I wrote a brief blurb about how to do this at http://localpols.fordean.net/Paypal

            (It was target at small progressive political campaigns, but it should work well for NPOs as well)

            If people have questions, they should feel free to contact me directly.

            Aldon

            My name is Dodie and I run a small rural women's shelter in southern
            Alberta. We are a NP and I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a site where I
            can learn how to set up our website to be able to take online credit card
            donations? Thanks in advance!
          • Susan Tenby
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 2, 2005
              Here is a link to a variety of online donation services:
              http://www.affinityresources.com/pgs/awz55Online2.shtml

              Also, we have a few articles on TechSoup on the topic:
              http://www.techsoup.org/community/qod_answer.cfm?qotdid=81
              http://www.techsoup.org/howto/articlepage.cfm?ArticleId=545

              HTH,

              Susan

              ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
              Susan Tenby, Online Community Manager, TechSoup.org.
              CompuMentor
              435 Brannan Street, Suite 100, San Francisco, CA 94107-1234
              Voice: 415.633.9333
              Fax: 415.512.9629
              Email: susan@...
              http://www.compumentor.org
              http://www.techsoup.org
              ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
            • Deborah Golden
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 3, 2005
                We've been using networkforgood.org, and we're happy with it.

                Deborah M. Golden
                D.C. Prisoners' Legal Services Project
                2639 Connecticut Ave, NW, Suite 225
                Washington, DC 20008
                www.dcprisonerhelp.org
                (202) 775-0323

                Combined Federal Campaign number 7241
              • Paul Trunnell
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 5, 2005
                  We use networkforgood.org for online donations, which we like. I don't think they provide the addresses of the contributors though (or at least they didn't as of recently), which makes sending thank you cards to donors more of a challenge. (If I'm wrong about the addresses, please let me know!)

                  Paul
                • Ted Hart, ACFRE, ePMT
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 7, 2005
                    Paul

                    NetworkForGood.org does provide full contact information to the charity, including address, unless the donor asks to remain anonymous.

                    Details for charity registration can be found at: http://www.networkforgood.org/npo/fundraising/donations/

                    The ePhilanthropy Foundation provides both online and offline training opportunities on this and many other topics.

                    I hope this is helpful.

                    Ted Hart
                    Ted Hart, ACFRE, ePMT | President & CEO| ePhilanthropy Foundation
                    1101 15th Street NW, Suite 200, Washington, DC 20005
                    U.K/Europe: v. +44 (0) 871 5970404 | f (0) 871 7334811
                    USA/Canada: v 877.536.1245 | f 202.478.0910 | m 410.303.8370

                    AOL & Y! Instant Messenger: tedhartusa
                    Email: tedhart@... <mailto:tedhart@...>

                    Join us on the ePhilanthropy Training Tour (eTour):
                    http://ePhilanthropy.org/eTour

                    Copyright 2001-2005 ePhilanthropyFoundation.org
                    All rights reserved.

                    --the global leader in providing training to charities for the ethical and
                    efficient use of the Internet for philanthropic purposes through education
                    and advocacy--

                    We use networkforgood.org for online donations, which we like. I don't
                    think they provide the addresses of the contributors though (or at least
                    they didn't as of recently), which makes sending thank you cards to donors
                    more of a challenge. (If I'm wrong about the addresses, please let me
                    know!)
                  • Michael Lavitschke (Otis)
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 9, 2005
                      We have been using GroundSpring and have been happy with it. They continually upgrade the service with new additions/abilities such as being able to offer premiums, etc.

                      It has a monthly cost so you need to market the fact that you have it so members/donors use it.

                      -otis

                      Everyone deserves healthy rivers
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      michael lavitschke
                      membership and outreach

                      608.257.2424 - ext. 114
                      http://www.wisconsinrivers.org

                      "And if the earthly forgot you
                      to the still earth speak, I run,
                      to the swift waters speak, I am.

                      -- Rainier Maria Rilke
                    • Laura S. Quinn
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 9, 2005
                        Some of the big players in this low-end donation tool space are Network for Good (www.newtworkforgood.org <http://www.newtworkforgood.org>), Groundspring DonateNow (www.groundspring.org <http://www.groundspring.org>), Entango (www.entango.com <http://www.entango.com>). All of these tools will provide basic reports as to who gave and their information. The cheapest ones and easiest to set up are simple "Donate Now" button facilitators like Network for Good and JustGive - these tools allow you to put a button on your site that links to a record for your organization or their site, with the ability to donate. One up in expense, sophistication, and setup time are tools like Groundspring or Entango which allow you to incorporate a donation form onto your own site.

                        All of these lower end tools are technically taking the donation themselves, and passing it on to you. This is most visible in what shows up on the donor's credit card charge - for all of these tools, it will show the name of the tool rather than your name (except for Entango, which shows something generic like "Nonprofit Trans"). If you want to take online donations online in your own name, you'll need to work with a bank to get a special online merchant account, which will take some more time and effort, and then work with a vendor who can accommodate it, which generally require more time to setup.

                        I have an article on the subject of taking credit card payments online at www.alderconsulting.com/creditcard.html<http://www.alderconsulting.com/creditcard.html>. It's about a year old now, but it includes a quick overview of the various types of donation vendors which should still be solid.

                        Hope this is helpful...

                        Laura

                        --
                        Laura S. Quinn
                        Alder Consulting

                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 10, 2005
                            I was out of town last week, but I didn't notice a mention of this resource in the archives -- Affinity Resources maintains a list of online donation engines at:

                            http://www.affinityresources.com/pgs/awz55Online2.shtml

                            Page 2 of the matrix lists other services, like event registration, shopping carts, and web hosting.

                            Robert