Why should nonprofits use RSS?

  • Marnie Webb
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 22, 2004
      Spured by the recent talk of RSS on this list and my some internal
      conversations I've been having with Richard Koman, I generated a list of ten
      reasons nonprofits should use RSS. You can read the whole thing on my blog
      at:
      http://ext337.blogspot.com/2004/12/10-reasons-nonprofits-should-use-rss.html

      Here's the quick version:
      1. It's a ridiculously easy way to read the web.
      2. It's ridiculously easy to discover relevant information.
      3. It's ridiculously easy to share the information you get.
      4. It's ridiculously easy to participate in conversations.
      5. It's ridiculously easy to control your own subscriptions.
      6. It's ridiculously easy to allow people to trade your good content like
      it's a baseball card.
      7. It's ridiculously easy for other people to lend you a bit of their web
      real estate.
      8. It's ridiculously easy to avoid being a spammer.
      9. It's ridiculously easy to contribute to web-wide conversations.
      10. It's only just beginning.

      I'd love to get some feedback from my colleagues. As I wrote in the post, I
      have hopes of turning this into a TechSoup article. In which case, I'll be
      sure to credit all contributors, readers, etc.

      (and, yes, I will probably change "ridiculously easy" to "really simple";
      I'll also do some proofreading passes -- they're always needed)

      :mw

      **************************
      Marnie Webb
      CompuMentor
      www.compumentor.org
      TechSoup.org
      www.techsoup.org
      Extension 337 (weblog)
      ext337.blogspot.com
    • Jonathan LaRosa
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 22, 2004
        Hi Marnie,

        Do these reasons differentiate between:
        "Why should nonprofits use RSS?"
        and
        "Why should <insert entity here> use RSS?"

        best,
        jon

        ________________________________
        Jonathan LaRosa
        TDC
        31 Milk Street, Suite 310
        Boston, MA 02109
        617-728-9151, x213
        cell: 617-233-4850
        http://www.tdcorp.org <http://www.tdcorp.org/>

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 22, 2004
          Jon,

          I do think that the reasons apply to any organization. I tried to use
          language that nonprofits could identify (so examples will be related to
          advocacy rather than marketing).

          :mw

          **************************
          Marnie Webb
          CompuMentor
          www.compumentor.org
          TechSoup.org
          www.techsoup.org
          Extension 337 (weblog)
          ext337.blogspot.com

        • Michael Stein
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 22, 2004
            Hi Marnie,

            I love lists like these, yours is a great start at tackling the RSS topic!

            I think one key issue with RSS for nonprofits is to help people understand
            how RSS "content" relates to the other content that nonprofits are
            publishing with their current Websites and e-newsletters. In my consulting
            and advising, I've found nonprofit staff to be challenged by this basic
            issue. So, if a nonprofit has been regularly publishing an e-newsletter and
            posting content on their Website, is it just a cut-and-paste job to move
            this to an RSS feeding service, or are the tactical questions more complex?
            I often make the case that for the foreseeable future, nonprofits should
            consider operating both a regular Website, and an e-newsletter and an
            RSS-compliant Weblog, so that they can get their content out via all these
            channels. Then after a year, do a customer/member/community survey and
            review log files to understand which channel is the most effective at
            delivering content to its intended (and unintended) audience(s).

            My 5 cents,

            --Michael

            Michael Stein
            Nonprofit Internet Strategist