RE: (Information Systems Forum) search engines 101

  • Rajib Momen
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30, 2004
      Hi Dawn,

      I believe that this issue was addressed a while ago, but I'll sum up the
      basics. Submitting your web site to search engines is an absolute waste of
      your time and possibly money. You will reap no significant benefit from this
      practice.

      In time, your site will be spidered (although you can now pay for immediate
      inclusion in the Yahoo directory). The best thing you can do is get some
      other stronger web sites to link to you. This way you'll always be found.

      If you're looking to get top rankings and you've got a lot of time on your
      hands, I suggest you start reading up on "search engine optimization." A
      couple of good places to start are:

      http://www.search-engine-optimization-help.net/
      http://searchenginewatch.com/
      http://www.webmasterworld.com/

      If your terms are highly competitive or you do not have the time, and it
      requires lots of time, I suggest you hire a professional SEO consultant that
      can prove some of his successes to you. There are tons of them out there and
      can fit most any budget. I'd go into more detail but this email would start
      turning into a book :-).

      Best regards,
      Rajib Momen

      President, Director of I.T.
      Boston Computing Network
      http://www.bostoncomputing.net

      Message 2 of 5 , May 3, 2004
        Hi, Dawn. Rajib correctly points out the uselessness of search
        engine submittal, particularly in your case where your site
        (presumably that of your email address) is already listed at Google,
        MSN, and Yahoo! Here is a much longer response I wrote when this
        topic was raised a while back:

        Josh Freedman
        Freedman Consulting
        www.joshfreedman.com

      • Jason Summerfield
        Message 3 of 5 , May 4, 2004
          A quick clarification on this thread... Not *all* search engine submission
          is a "waste of time". For those launching new sites, or for those with sites
          that have somehow escaped being indexed by search engines, it does make
          sense to do a manual/free submission (links below). I believe the type of
          submission referred to earlier relates to companies/services claiming to do
          an automated submittal to "hundreds of search engines" for a fee - those are
          a waste of time, as previously discussed here.

          Once your site is listed with a given engine, there is no need to re-submit.
          But getting listed is only half the battle... Being found/improved rankings
          come through search engine optimization (SEO) by making your site's content
          relevant to the terms you want to target (also discussed further in Josh's

          Google submission page:
          http://www.google.com/addurl.html

          Yahoo submission page:
          http://search.yahoo.com/info/submit.html

          -Jason

          Jason Summerfield
          Human Service Solutions
          www.hswsolutions.com
        • Dawn Folopoulos
          Message 4 of 5 , May 5, 2004
            Hi Josh,
            Thanks so much for you feedback. The link to your previous post was great. I
            am still not too sure what to do but I sure know what not to do. You and
            the others on the list have saved me so much wasted time.
            Thank you, Dawn
            Dawn Folopoulos, Regional Coordinator
            Parents Helping Parents
            ph: 978-372-5012 fax: 978-372-0226
            14 Victor St. - Haverhill, MA 01832
            Parents Helping Parents - State Office 1-800-882-1250