web server questions

  • Peggy Davis
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2003
      This is directed to those of you who understand the world of Unix web
      servers. There are a number of directory folders that appear in the guts of
      our site like /bin /etc /www /realaudio /cgi-bin and each one seems to have
      a function. My approach to our web site is very simple since I do it
      through Front Page and our ISP has enough of the FP Server Extensions
      installed to make most of what I need to do work, so all I have to do is
      publish my pages to the /www folder through Front Pages FTP utility. If I
      wanted to create other folders in our space, I can do that, but how are they
      accessed? Can they be accessed from a web browser if they're htm/html
      pages? This is not my area of expertise - these days I'm wondering what is!
      Peggy Davis, Director, Information Technology
      Senior Services, Inc
      836 Oak Street, Suite 320
      Winston-Salem, NC 27101
      phone: (336) 725-0907
      fax: (336) 724-2010

      mailto:pdavis@...
      http://www.seniorservicesinc.org

      "The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to
      which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or
      privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use
      of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or
      this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all
      computers."
    • Tom (MrQuietGuy)
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2003
        Yes, they can be accessed by web browsers. The base folder that can
        be accessed by http (browser) is the www folder (which is probably
        an alias for the real folder which is named public_html or httpdocs
        or something like that).

        Files in the www folder are accessed directly by the browser, so a
        file there named file1.htm (using your site as an example) might be
        accessed as http://www.seniorservicesinc.org/file1.htm .

        If you have another folder within www named morestuff, then a file
        there named file2.htm could be accessed as
        http://www.seniorservicesinc.org/morestuff/file2.htm .

        You can also link to that page from a page in your site by using a
        relative link of morestuff/file2.htm .

        Browsers cannot access files in the root folder (the folder above
        the www folder). Browsers also typically cannot access files in any
        folder whose name begins with an underscore.

        Tom on ForgeMtn [dotnet]

        P.S. - I inadvertently replied to you directly Peggy, instead of the
        group, so I am repeating it as a reply to the group.

        --- In Information_Systems_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "Peggy Davis"
        <pdavis@s...> wrote:
        > This is directed to those of you who understand the world of Unix
        web
        > servers. There are a number of directory folders that appear in
        the guts of
        > our site like /bin /etc /www /realaudio /cgi-bin and each one
        seems to have
        > a function. My approach to our web site is very simple since I do
        it
        > through Front Page and our ISP has enough of the FP Server
        Extensions
        > installed to make most of what I need to do work, so all I have to
        do is
        > publish my pages to the /www folder through Front Pages FTP
        utility. If I
        > wanted to create other folders in our space, I can do that, but
        how are they
        > accessed? Can they be accessed from a web browser if they're
        htm/html
        > pages? This is not my area of expertise - these days I'm
        wondering what is!
        > Peggy Davis, Director, Information Technology
        > Senior Services, Inc
        > 836 Oak Street, Suite 320
        > Winston-Salem, NC 27101
        > phone: (336) 725-0907
        > fax: (336) 724-2010
        >
        > mailto:pdavis@s...
        > http://www.seniorservicesinc.org
      • Michelle Murrain
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2003
          At 12:50 PM -0400 6/2/03, Peggy Davis wrote:
          >This is directed to those of you who understand the world of Unix web
          >servers. There are a number of directory folders that appear in the guts of
          >our site like /bin /etc /www /realaudio /cgi-bin and each one seems to have
          >a function. My approach to our web site is very simple since I do it
          >through Front Page and our ISP has enough of the FP Server Extensions
          >installed to make most of what I need to do work, so all I have to do is
          >publish my pages to the /www folder through Front Pages FTP utility. If I
          >wanted to create other folders in our space, I can do that, but how are they
          >accessed? Can they be accessed from a web browser if they're htm/html
          >pages? This is not my area of expertise - these days I'm wondering what is!

          As long as the directories are *below* the root directory for the
          webserver (like /home/www or /var/www), then those directories will
          be accessible directly from the web. For example, if the root
          directory of your webserver is "/home/www/html" and that corresponds
          to "http://www.yourdomain.org" A subdirectory like
          "/home/www/html/new_directory" will correspond to
          "http://www.yourdomain.org/new_directory".

          All FTP clients (well, ok, I can't speak for Front Page, but I'll
          assume it's standards compliant, just for kicks and grins) allow you
          to create new directories, as long as you have permission to do so
          (which you should, since it's your account). If the files are of a
          type that browsers can read (html, gif, jpg, etc.) then they will be
          displayed on the browser, otherwise people will have the option to
          download them.

          Hope this helps.
          --
          .Michelle

          --------------------------
          Michelle Murrain, Technology Consulting
          tech at murrain dot net http://www.murrain.net
          413-253-2874 ph
          413-222-6350 cell
          413-825-0288 fax
          AIM:pearlbear0 Y!:pearlbear9 ICQ:129250575
          SMS: 4132226350 at messaging dot sprintpcs dot com

          "I am determined to cultivate only thoughts that increase trust and
          love, to use my hands to perform only deeds that build community, to
          speak only words of harmony and aid." - Thich Nhat Hanh
        • Rol Murrow
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 3, 2003
            Just for clarification -

            Yes FrontPage does include File Transfer Protocol as a method to maintain
            the pages and directories for a website. If one is authoring and editing
            pages on a local machine when one is ready he or she can then "publish" the
            pages to an FTP host location in one pass. FrontPage analyzes the
            structure of the local web and the web on the remote location and then
            adds, replaces, or deletes files on the remote location to match those on
            the local machine.

            FrontPage's other method is by using the FrontPage extensions which can
            work similarly, or which also permit one to do the authoring and editing
            directly on the files in the remote location. The extensions also permit
            one to use certain forms or other routines without writing scripts or
            programs, and to set up folders and access permissions similar to what one
            can do with FTP.

            Cheers,

            Rol

            Rol Murrow, Executive Director
            THE WOLF AVIATION FUND http://www.wolf-aviation.org
            33 Holly Drive, Storrs, Connecticut 06268-2226
            Phone: 860 429-2972 Fax: 603 806-7937
            Email: mailto:mail@... or as shown on message