Re: News on Ning

  • Ivan Boothe
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 31, 2009
      I've been wanting to try Elgg for awhile now. However, I've only experienced Ning from the user side; I've never created a network on there.

      I set up a sandbox with Elgg here: http://elgg.rootwork.org/

      Anyone who is interested in trying it out (especially those familiar with Ning) just register and then let me know, and I'll promote you to admin. If you need server access I can give that to you as well.

      I'll probably play around with this a little myself, but in terms of a comparison I think we'll need someone who has used Ning more extensively.

      --ivan

      --
      Rootwork: Powering grassroots
      networks from the bottom up

      ivan@...
      http://www.rootwork.org
      phone: 202.730.9465

      Skype: rootwork
      Twitter: rootwork

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 5 5:11 PM
          Well, when I went on to Ning.com, it looked very facebook-y. I had a facebook like status update page with all my networks posting info to it.. There are the networks that I am a member of on the right side. There's also a search box to find social networks on Ning. I guess those are the public ones. There's also a "recommended networks" area. There is a "find friends" function - you can find them via gmail, aol, yahoo, hotmail etc. You can also search by name. Just from my Gmail address book I found 122 people that I could add as "friends". This is a concern for my in-service student teachers who have students in their networks - who knows who can be "friending" them.... or what info the friends can see about them. For example, I did a search on your name, got 8+ pages of nickersons back, along with a list of all the networks they were members of, and a profile that included recent activity on those networks (Blog post, etc). That's a lot of information. Unlike Facebook, the privacy settings are few and far between. You can determine who sees your profile, but not what info on the profile. You can also hide your private network memberships. That seems to be it. However, you can adjust your profile and privacy settings on each network of which you are a member. Will look at it more, but it isn't looking very good.