RE: Sender did not specify a topic

  • Steve Bower
    Message 1 of 146 , Jul 30, 2008
      -----original message-----
      X3oDMTJyZ2R1YzQ0BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzM1MTc5NTMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDA0NzI2
      BG1zZ0lkAzEwMDAzBHNlYwNkbXNnBHNsawN2bXNnBHN0aW1lAzEyMTczNTg2ODg-> Running a Development 'Forge' .>>

      As near as I can see you already offer your API's, sample client code and documentation to your users.

      Open source coding projects tend to get several things from their
      contributor base:

      1. Feedback on current problems, bugs, etc.

      2. Ideas for new features, requirements, etc.

      3. Cross-pollination

      4. Code

      You tend to get a lot of #1 which you can already receive
      from your current setup. You also get a lot of #2, some is new, but some is already known to you. You can also already get this from your current offerings. #3 is mainly a communications forum which you could implement with discussion boards or a wiki.

      The only additional thing you might pick up is some contributed code. This tends to take a lot of time on the part of the code integrators (you guys) to help them understand your internals and guide
      their development. Often it results in features that the contributor
      wanted, but not everyone else will find important.

      Perhaps instead of a "forge" you could just set up wiki pages or forums for your users to register their own projects so they can
      see each other. If you do this and get a vast amount of participation, then perhaps that's an indicator that you should do more. But I'd first dip the toe into the community and see what you get.

      I think that running a community effort can take a *lot* of
      time and effort, and unless it's central to your mission it can often be a distraction rather than a help.

      Best, Steve.

    • Frank Nickerson
      Message 146 of 146 , Jan 1, 2012
        Hi Ja Young,

        It looks as if some kind of a forward was recently put on the Be Free Global website to that page you saw. It's probably some JavaScript that forces users to the other page. If my guess is correct hopefully Be Free Global will find the script on their server and remove it. If you want to see a quick view of their site look at the google cache on the google preview feature.

        If it's only JavaScript it will be quick to fix but they will need to determine what security issue allowed someone to insert the script. Maybe their website software login password was weak and someone needs to update it or it could be a variety of other causes.

        -Frank