Re: Evaluating InfoSelect

  • imjb3
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 22, 2003
      Thank you for the suggestion - I will look into it.

      I'm still interested in feedback regarding InfoSelect.

      Thanks,

      --- In InfoSelect@yahoogroups.com, Sean Wechter <swechter@y...> wrote:
      > sounds like you shoudl take a look at a product called Ask Sam
      >
      > --- imjb3 <imjb@h...> wrote:
      > > I am evaluating InfoSelect and am looking for assistance /
      > > recommendations from expert users. MicroLogic technical support
      has
      > > been of limited help but I would really appreciate feedback /
      > > perspective from knowledgeable users.
      > >
      > > I currently use one folder to hold all my data. Within this
      folder I
      > > have folders for each letter of the alphabet and I store my data
      by
      > > topic using additional sub-folders and datasets as needed. The
      data
      > > consists of all types of datasets
      > > (.txt, .xls, .doc, .ppt, .zip, .dat, .eco, ,
      htm, .mht, .eml, .msg,
      > > etc...) and currently takes about 6 gigabytes of disk space. I
      use a
      > > significantly enhanced search utility to locate datasets or data
      > > within datasets.
      > >
      > > This system works well but has some disadvantages. Two examples:
      > > a) It is difficult to get a global "view" of projects /
      > > appointments / things-to-do across topics. I realize I could
      create a
      > > single project plan, calendar, and to-do list but then it would
      be
      > > more difficult to get a project "view" of the information.
      > > b) The search utility finds the appropriate data / datasets
      easily
      > > enough but then working with the data can be a little cumbersome.
      > >
      > > The idea of having all of my data available within one integrated
      > > environment is what attracts me to InfoSelect. My question is
      whether
      > > or not it is capable of reliably handling my data.
      > >
      > > First, I think I would need to "attach" most of my data to
      InfoSelect
      > > to get the benefits I am looking for. If I only "link" the data
      then
      > > I think I would still have the same problems I have in my current
      > > environment.
      > >
      > > My initial thought would be to create an InfoSelect database
      (.md2
      > > dataset) for each letter of the alphabet and then create
      additional
      > > databases if needed.
      > >
      > > Can InfoSelect handle 6 gigabytes of data?
      > >
      > > How large can InfoSelect databases be before you start
      encountering
      > > performance or data integrity issues?
      > >
      > > How well will InfoSelect handle searching across 26 databases?
      > >
      > > How much additional diskspace will I need for InfoSelect overhead
      if
      > > I "attach" all my data?
      > >
      > > If a database becomes corrupted do you lose everything in the
      > > database or can it be "repaired"? What is the likeliehood of a
      > > database becoming corrupted?
      > >
      > > Is there an automated process for "loading" data to InfoSelect
      using
      > > the current folder structure?
      > >
      > > Is there an automated tool for "unattaching" data from InfoSelect
      > > should I need it?
      > >
      > > What other suggestions / cautions should I be aware of?
      > >
      > > Any feedback will be sincerely appreciated!
      > >
      > > Thanks!

      > Yahoo! Platinum - Watch CBS' NCAA March Madness, live on your
      desktop!
      > http://platinum.yahoo.com
    • Orson Kellogg
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 23, 2003
        I can only offer a couple of comments on your questions. I think the ways people use Info Select vary a great deal from user to user -- which has to do with how flexible the product is, but can be frustrating if you have specific questions about things you want to do.

        I believe that IS recommends breaking IS files up when they get larger than about 1 MB. That may seem really small, but it's quite easy to work with multiple files, all open inside IS at the same time.

        I'm pretty sure that 6 GB of data, even when broken into multiple files, may be a bit much for IS. But honestly, I have no idea.......

        I'm sorry I can't respond to more of your questions. My use of IS includes basically NO attachments, which helps keep my files small. I basically store two kinds of information: to-do items for each of about 20 projects, plus notes for each of those projects. My notes are sometimes text I've copied from emails or web pages or Word documents, but usually are notes I've taken myself, including notes from conversations.

        If you're evaluating products like Info Select, I'd suggest also looking at Zoot. I own Zoot myself and have used it quite a bit, but actually *returned* to Info Select after using Zoot for about 9 months. They do somewhat similar things, but they're very different products. I prefer the kinds of flexibility I enjoy with IS, and it's working for me now.... at least as much as any software app I am aware of. If something better comes along for me, I'd certainly jump to it.

        Orson

      • Larry De Coste
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 24, 2003
          Dear imjb3,

          Referring to what you wrote on Sun, 23 Mar 2003 05:09:12 -0000:

          | Thank you for the suggestion - I will look into it.
          |
          | I'm still interested in feedback regarding InfoSelect.
          |
          | Thanks,
          |
          | --- In InfoSelect@yahoogroups.com, Sean Wechter <swechter@y...> wrote:
          | > sounds like you shoudl take a look at a product called Ask Sam

          I've got AskSam 5.1 Professional - worlds away from Infoselect in the
          multiple use category. It is a lightening fast free text DATABASE.

          Take care, Larry

          --
          Larry De Coste <ladecoste@...>
          Riverside RI EE.UU.
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 24, 2003
            Dear imjb3,

            Referring to what you wrote on Sat, 22 Mar 2003 18:08:31 -0000:

            | I am evaluating InfoSelect and am looking for assistance /
            | recommendations from expert users. MicroLogic technical support has
            | been of limited help but I would really appreciate feedback /
            | perspective from knowledgeable users.
            |
            | I currently use one folder to hold all my data. Within this folder I
            | have folders for each letter of the alphabet and I store my data by
            | topic using additional sub-folders and datasets as needed. The data
            | consists of all types of datasets
            | (.txt, .xls, .doc, .ppt, .zip, .dat, .eco, , htm, .mht, .eml, .msg,
            | etc...) and currently takes about 6 gigabytes of disk space. I use a
            | significantly enhanced search utility to locate datasets or data
            | within datasets.
            Since as Orson stated Infoselect recommends file-topic sizes of 1-4MB,
            it would seem a bit difficult to divide your 6GB into 2000 file topics
            (and that at 3MG/file). If you need to have all that data loaded, I
            think InfoSelect is not for you.

            | The idea of having all of my data available within one integrated
            | environment is what attracts me to InfoSelect. My question is whether
            | or not it is capable of reliably handling my data.
            See above.

            | Can InfoSelect handle 6 gigabytes of data?
            My own usage has never exceeded 200MBs.

            | How large can InfoSelect databases be before you start encountering
            | performance or data integrity issues?
            I've never seen it spelled out.

            | If a database becomes corrupted do you lose everything in the
            | database or can it be "repaired"? What is the likeliehood of a
            | database becoming corrupted?
            I've never had it happen - but then my largest database is only 4000
            records of 30 fields.

            | Is there an automated process for "loading" data to InfoSelect using
            | the current folder structure?
            I've only seen "open" WD2 files & "import" the rest to wherever the
            cursor is. Or, in short, no.

            | Is there an automated tool for "unattaching" data from InfoSelect
            | should I need it?
            Not that I've heard of.

            Take care, Larry

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 24, 2003
              Thank you for your reply(s).

              I looked at AskSam and I agree that it's not what I'm looking for.

              I appreciate your feedback on InfoSelect. Unless I'm missing
              something, the problem with using InfoSelect on only a portion of my
              data is that I would still have to maintain my existing system and I
              would still not have an integrated view of all my data.

              Unless I hear favorably from someone that has used InfoSelect on a
              similar scale I think I'll have to back away from using it yet again.
              Arghhhh! I certainly would like it to work!

              Thanks again!

              --- In InfoSelect@yahoogroups.com, Larry De Coste <ladecoste@c...>

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 28, 2005
                I manage information by 'subject'.

                On my personal computer I have a 'data' directory with folders 'A'
                thru 'Z'. Within these folders, I create sub-folders or use dataset
                names as needed to group related information (web links, MS Office
                documents, e-mail, etc.) together. I have about 6 gigabytes of data
                stored in these folders.

                I use a file cabinet oganized the same way to manage hard-copy
                printed material. I keep a 'title' and 'keyword' index of the
                information in my file cabinet in electronic format with the
                corresponding sub-folder on my PC.

                I use an enhanced search utility on my PC to find information if I
                can't remember where I filed it.

                I manage action items by 'subject' on my PDA using ShadowPlan -
                transferring items to DateBk5 as they are 'calendared'.

                This setup works okay - but it's not perfect.
                a) My 'action items' are not stored in the same place with the rest
                of the related information.
                b) The transfer of 'action items' to the calendar is a manual
                process. What I want is a 'calendar view' of the tasks I have
                arranged by subject so I don't have to maintain information in two
                places.

                How would people suggest that I use InfoSelect?
                a) Would I 'load' all of my datasets into InfoSelect? If so, how
                should I set up the databases? What happens if a database becomes
                corrupted - can I extract my datasets back out again? What is the
                likelihood that I would lose data (that is, how stable are the
                databases)?
                b) Are there any practical limits to the amount of data that can be
                stored in InfoSelect?
                c) Is it correct to assume that I could 'sync' my 'action items' to
                InfoSelect on my PDA? Does the InfoSelect PDA software offer
                a 'calendar view' of action items stored within the heirarchy? Is the
                Infoselect PDA software an adequate replacement for DateBk5 and
                ShadowPlan?

                Suggestions and comments would be appreciated!

                Thanks!

                I don't think it would make much sense to 'load' all of my existing
                data into InfoSelect but if I don't
              • Schilling, Hartmut
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 29, 2005
                  Maybe I did not understand you well enough. But talking about databases: I
                  have a lot of them, and I try not to let them grow too much (up to 5 MB or
                  so). In addition, all my databases are on separate files, not within the
                  OVERVIEW fle. When I do not need the databases, the files close after 15
                  Minutes. Personal databases get an encryption in addition.

                  I never (!) had any problem with database corruption, so I cannot answer
                  about this. What I see from time to time is that there are strange chains of
                  numbers and letters in the beginning of a database field, which do not
                  corrupt the content. They can be deleted without any problem.

                  My IS installation has about 60 MB. I have about 70 different WD2 files.

                  Regards,
                  Hartmut