US Supreme Court Delivers a Victory for Human Rights

  • [InfoNature.Org] - E-News
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2006
      Urgent Appeal

      TAKE ACTION - HELP STOP HUMAN RIGHTS ABUSES BY THE BUSH ADMINISTRATION

      Join us in putting an end to U.S. torture chambers.

      A U.S. soldier guards a gate within the compound of the US military-run prison at Guantanamo Bay Naval Base, Cuba June 26, 2006, just days before the landmark Supreme Court decision.
      (AFP/Getty Images)

      Today marks a great victory for human rights and the rule of law!

      The United States Supreme Court vindicated Amnesty’s long-held position that the military commissions were inherently unfair by ruling that President Bush did not have authority to set up the war crimes tribunals at Guantanamo Bay and found the commissions invalid under both military justice law and the Geneva conventions.

      This is a remarkable day for Amnesty International and for everyone who believes in our principals: justice, accountability, and fairness.  Through the tireless efforts of tens of thousands of activists across the world this victory was made possible.  Amnesty International was among the first and the loudest to condemn the presidential order in the fall of 2001 that created these tribunals and led us down this lawless path.  While this is a great triumph for human rights, the fight continues.  Our opponents are already preparing to use the Congress to attempt to gut the Supreme Court’s ruling.  And we must reach our goal of closing Guantanamo Bay for good.

      Guantanamo Bay must be closed and all detainees must either be charged and given a fair trail, or be released.  And torture, wherever and whenever it occurs must stop.  This means that secret U.S. detention centers must be opened to scrutiny and flying suspects to countries such as Egypt and Syria for interrogation and torture must end.  These are human rights values and just as important, these are American values.  Together, we will fight tirelessly to restore these values.

      I ask you to join Amnesty International as we advance our call to close Guantanamo and abolish ‘disappearances’ and extraordinary renditions.  Now is not the time to back down.  We know our opponents will be quick to try to counter the decision.  We need to count on your support and your commitment to act quickly as events unfold to keep the pressure on now.

      As always, thank you for your commitment to preserving human rights around the world.

      Larry Cox,
      Executive Director

      Help ensure fair trails for Guantanamo detainees!

      White House Press Secretary Tony Snow discusses the Hamdan decision with the press. We need your help over the next few days in responding to media commentary and reports about the Supreme Court’s Hamdan ruling in your local newspaper(s). Read our talking points and write a letter to the editor today. © TIM SLOAN/AFP/Getty Image

      By striking down the “military commissions” at Guantanamo Bay yesterday, the Supreme Court held that the President is not beyond the law. This is a significant victory! The White House and Members of Congress are now debating a new process for trying detainees at the military detention facility at Guantanamo Bay. We want to ensure that any system developed embodies the fair trial protections guaranteed by the Uniform Code of Military Justice and the Geneva Conventions, affirmed by the Supreme Court Hamdan ruling. Our success continues to hinge on involvement from activists like you!

      We need your help over the next few days in responding to media commentary and reports about the Supreme Court’s Hamdan ruling in your local newspaper(s). Read our talking points and write a letter to the editor today.

      Amnesty International believes that anyone suspected of committing terrorist acts must be held accountable. However, any proceedings must meet minimum fair trial standards. Amnesty International continues to be on the frontlines of ensuring that detainees at Guantanamo are granted their fundamental human rights and that the detention facility is closed once and for all. Your help is needed to amplify our call!

      Good luck getting letters to the editor published in your local paper and thank you for your efforts!

      Sincerely,

      Eric Sears
      Project Manager, Denounce Torture Initiative
      Amnesty International USA