Hedvika from Moravia (4800-4700 BC)

  • Artur Karp
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2007
    • Artur Karp
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2007
        Radio Praha on the discovery:

        <<The find of the century is what Czech archaeologists are calling the
        discovery of a 7000 year-old statue in Masovice, a village just west
        of Znojmo, South Moravia. Although only the lower parts of the
        sculpture have been found, experts say that Hedvika, as the statue has
        been named by those who discovered it, is a unique find in a European
        context.>>

        http://www.radio.cz/en/article/96639

        A.

        PS. Hedvika = Hedwig
      • Steve Farmer
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2007
          Pretty spectacular if the dates are confirmed, Artur.
          Any news on how they dated it? I wonder if anyone on
          the List has done work on Moravian painted ware.

          Steve

          Artur Karp wrote:

          > Radio Praha on the discovery:
          >
          > The find of the century is what Czech archaeologists
          > are calling the discovery of a 7000 year-old statue
          > in Masovice, a village just west of Znojmo, South Moravia....

          > http://www.radio.cz/en/article/96639

          > PS. Hedvika = Hedwig
        • Max Dashu
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 1, 2007
            It is the size more than anything that is striking. The dates aren't
            contested; there's quite a body of fine Moravian ceramics from the
            5th mbce, including sculpture, mostly of female figures about a third
            of the size of this large piece, many of them with hands stretched
            out and upturned.

            I hadn't seen them described as Moravian painted ware (and in fact
            the sculptures i've seen (photos) weren't painted) so of course i
            immediately googled the term, and found this fine chimney-necked ewer:

            http://www.comp-archaeology.org/Moravian-Painted-Ware_Podborsky1993.jpg

            Max

            --
            Max Dashu