appeal

  • George Cardona
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1 3:24 AM
      Dear colleagues, It's the weekend, so that a message that is not strictly academic is also in order. I just received a note from Prof. M. G. Dhadphale, Honourable Secretary of the Bhandarkar Oriental Research Institute, Pune, in which he asks me to circulate an appeal for assistance. In order to create better facilities for visiting scholars, he proposes to have built a new small hostel along with related facilities. To this end, he asks that interested Indologists offer contributions. I hope we may all help in this project. Thanks. George Cardona
    • Michael Witzel
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1 7:15 PM
        Many thanks for the news. A hostel at BORI would indeed be very
        welcome.

        However, before we untie our purse strings, a few questions must be put
        and answered.

        1. Only a few months ago it was announced that the Union Govt. in Delhi
        would give BORI a lot of money. So how does this square with the
        current appeal?

        2. More importantly, some 4 years ago, during the heyday of the
        nationalistic BJP Govt., BORI took some serious steps against
        non-Indian members (I think, even against life members) and restricted
        their voting rights and activities (please correct me in details).

        Now, I know that the Mughal proverb "Dilli duur ast" still applies, and
        that regulations are one thing, and every day activities another. But
        one would like to know whether we would now help funding an
        organization that has recently put anti-foreign legislation on its
        books, and why do they (still?) keep it.

        (All of this happened well before the more recent (sub-)nationalistic
        violence directed against the BORI library and even against some of
        its members, as mentioned by J.Kirkpatrick.)

        A clarification would be welcome.

        Personally speaking, I had only the best experiences at BORI, and Pune
        in general, but that was in Dandekar's time, well before the current
        Hindutva madness...

        So, the persons who might know should let us all know.

        M. WItzel

        On Apr 1, 2007, at 6:24 AM, George Cardona wrote:

        > Dear colleagues, It's the weekend, so that a message that is not
        > strictly academic is also in order. I just received a note from Prof.
        > M. G. Dhadphale, Honourable Secretary of the Bhandarkar Oriental
        > Research Institute, Pune, in which he asks me to circulate an appeal
        > for assistance. In order to create better facilities for visiting
        > scholars, he proposes to have built a new small hostel along with
        > related facilities. To this end, he asks that interested Indologists
        > offer contributions. I hope we may all help in this project. Thanks.
        > George Cardona
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Michael Witzel
        Department of Sanskrit and Indian Studies, Harvard University
        1 Bow Street , 3rd floor, Cambridge MA 02138
        1-617-495 3295 Fax: 496 8571
        direct line: 496 2990
        <http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~witzel/mwpage.htm>
        <http://users.primushost.com/~india/ejvs/> changed to: