Re: Agamemnon's handle-bar mustache

  • Francesco Brighenti
    Message 1 of 29 , Mar 1, 2007
      Dear John,

      What a "hairy" question you have posed!

      --- In Indo-Eurasian_research@yahoogroups.com, "John C. Huntington"
      <Huntington.2@...> wrote:

      > Long ago and far away, remember reading that the Romans pulled
      > facial hair (is this true?)

      Yes, that's true. Plucking the facial hair with the use of a
      volsella ('a pair of tweezers', from Lat. vols-, past participle
      root of vellere 'to pluck') was one of the shaving methods resorted
      to in classical Rome. This was, for instance, the method preferred
      by Caesar.

      From pp. 196-8 of William Smith's _A Dictionary of Greek and Roman
      Antiquities_ (London, John Murray, 1875), reproduced online at

      http://tinyurl.com/yre2za :

      << The Homeric heroes were bearded men. [...] [T]he Greeks wore the
      beard till the time of Alexander the Great [...]. Plutarch (Thes.
      c.5) says that the reason for the shaving was that they might not be
      pulled by the beard in battle. The custom of shaving the beard
      continued among the Greeks till the time of Justinian [...]. The
      Romans in early times wore the beard uncut [...]; and according to
      Varro (De Re Rust. II.11) and Pliny (VII.59), the Roman beards were
      not shaven till B.C. 300, when P. Ticinius Maenas brought over a
      barber from Sicily; and Pliny adds, that the first Roman who was
      shaved (rasus) every day was Scipio Africanus. His custom, however,
      was soon followed, and shaving became regular thing. The lower
      orders, then as now, were not always able to do the same, and hence
      the jeers of Martial (vii.95, xii.59). In the later times of the
      republic there were many who shaved the beard only partially, and
      trimmed it, so as to give it an ornamental form; to them the terms
      bene barbati (Cic. Catil. ii.10) and barbatuli (Cic. ad Att. I.14,
      16, Pro Cael. 14) are applied. When in mourning all the higher as
      well as the lower orders let their beards grow.

      In the general way in Rome at this time, a long beard barba
      promissa, (Liv. XXVII.34) was considered a mark of slovenliness and
      squalor. The censors, L. Veturius and P. Licinius, compelled M.
      Livius, who had been banished, on his restoration to the city, to be
      shaved, and to lay aside his dirty appearance (tonderi et squalorem
      deponere), and then, but not till then, to come into the senate, &c.
      (Liv. XXVII.34). The first time of shaving was regarded as the
      beginning of manhood, and the day on which this took place was
      celebrated as a festival [called Depositio barbae -- FB](Juv. Sat.
      III.186). There was no particular time fixed for this to be done.
      Usually, however, it was done when the young Roman assumed the toga
      virilis (Suet. Calig. 10). Augustus did it in his 24th year;
      Caligula in his 20th. The hair cut off on such occasions was
      consecrated to some god. Thus Nero put his up in a gold box, set
      with pearls, and dedicated it to Jupiter Capitolinus (Suet. Ner.
      12).

      With the emperor Hadrian the beard began to revive (Dion Cass.
      LXVIII.15). Plutarch says that the emperor wore it to hide some
      scars on his face. The practice afterwards became common, and till
      the time of Constantine the Great, the emperors appear in busts and
      coins with beards [...].

      BARBERS [Lat. tonsores -- FB] -- [...] Men had not often the
      necessary implements for the various operations of the toilet;
      combs, mirrors, perfumes, and tools for clipping, cutting, shaving,
      &c. Accordingly the whole process had to be performed at the
      barber's, and hence the great concourse of people who daily gossiped
      at the tonstrina, or barber's shop. [...] The business of the barber
      was threefold. First there was the cutting of hair [...]. The second
      part of the business was shaving (radere, rasitare, [...]). This was
      done with [...] a novacula (Lamprid. Heliog. c31), a razor (as we,
      retaining the Latin root, call it), which he kept in a case [...].
      Some who would not submit to the operation of the razor used instead
      some powerful depilatory ointments, or plasters, as psilothron
      (Plin. XXXII.10.47;a acida Creta, Martial, vi.93.9; Venetum lutum,
      iii.74; dropax, iii.74; x.65). Stray hairs which escaped the razor
      were pulled out with small pincers or tweezers (volsellae [...]).
      The third part of the barber's work was to pare the nails of the
      hands [...]. >>

      Hope this helps,
      Francesco
    • Daniel J. Milton
      Message 2 of 29 , Mar 1, 2007
        The reference Francesco quoted on techniques for removing the
        beard employed in classical antiquity appears pretty thorough, but
        there's always something to be added.
        The tyrant Dionysius of Syracuse being afraid to trust himself in
        the barber's hands, made his daughters learn to shave him. When they
        grew up, he dared not trust even them with a razor, but made them burn
        off his beard and hair with red-hot nut-shells.
        I'm pretty sure the source is Cicero in his Tusculan Disputations,
        but I haven't run the passage down.
        Dan Milton
      • Francesco Brighenti
        Message 3 of 29 , Mar 1, 2007
          --- In Indo-Eurasian_research@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel J. Milton"
          <dmilt1896@...> wrote:

          > The tyrant Dionysius of Syracuse being afraid to trust himself in
          > the barber's hands, made his daughters learn to shave him. When
          > they grew up, he dared not trust even them with a razor, but made
          > them burn off his beard and hair with red-hot nut-shells. I'm
          > pretty sure the source is Cicero in his Tusculan Disputations, but
          > I haven't run the passage down.

          http://la.wikisource.org/wiki/Tusculan%C3%A6_Disputationes_-_Liber_V
          "Quin etiam ne tonsori collum committeret, tondere filias suas
          docuit. Ita sordido ancillarique artificio regiae virgines ut
          tonstriculae tondebant barbam et capillum patris. Et tamen ab is
          ipsis, cum iam essent adultae, ferrum removit instituitque, ut
          candentibus iuglandium putaminibus barbam sibi et capillum
          adurerent" (Marcus Tullius Cicero, _Tusculanae Disputationes_ 5. 58).

          Regards,
          Francesco
        • bhmsympatico
          Message 4 of 29 , Apr 8, 2007
            You're welcome Victor. I'm glad I could be of some help. Yes, those
            razors look a tad frightening but it's the Roman razors that are
            really disturbing. Thankfully the Romans didn't have bikini-lines to
            worry about.

            There were four types of razors used by the British Celts. For some
            examples of Celtic razors see the following site. It also contains
            examples of early razors primarily from the European Bronze and Iron Age.
            http://razorland55.free.fr/lune04.htm

            Now, the remaining question is what did they use to keep those
            handlebar moustaches curled? Could it be the same hair gel that the
            Irish imported from the Gauls?

            Sarah

            --- In Indo-Eurasian_research@yahoogroups.com, "Victor H. Mair"