Re: Big Brother, 2006 Style

  • Dean Anderson
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2006
      --- In Indo-Eurasian_research@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Farmer"
      <saf@...> wrote:

      > Dear List,
      >
      > When we were in China, it was clear that Yahoo was blocked.
      > Now we find the same thing today in India -- and in this
      > case it is *directly* affecting our Indian List members,
      > at least temporarily:
      >
      > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/3148288.stm

      I think this issue of censorship is related to my earlier
      difficulties in receiving digests from the newsgroup although the
      problem in this case was with Gmail. I found that quite a few of my
      emails using Gmail were not getting to me - including many of the
      digests of this newsgroup. So I did a test and found that Yahoo was
      reliable but Gmail was not - this may only be true in India.

      Those of you who follow these things may be aware that Google (i.e.
      Gmail) refused to cater to government demands in countries like
      China and so was blocked. Yahoo apparently went along with the
      government's request for access. Yahoo is reliable, Gmail is not. A
      coincidence?

      In any case, those of who who are planning trips to India (and
      perhaps other countries in similar situations) should be aware that
      Gmail may not work reliably. Only *some* emails were lost, not all.

      Best,

      Dean Anderson