Test message

  • Steve Farmer
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 4 2:18 PM
      Let the first message be a test: trying to fix a few technical
      glitches....

      Dixitque Deus fiat lux et facta est lux;
      Et vidit Deus lucem quod esset bona et divisit lucem ac tenebras...

      Steve

    • George Thompson
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 4 6:59 PM
        Asa nisi masa, asa misi masa.

        [Fellini 8 1/2]

        or: anima, anima,

        GT

        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 4 7:05 PM
          On Monday, April 4, 2005, at 06:59 PM, George Thompson wrote:

          > Asa nisi masa, asa misi masa.
          >
          > [Fellini 8 1/2]
          >
          > or: anima, anima,

          OK, George, since we're playing while testing the system, translate
          this Latin sentence for me: :^)

          Sicus se habet sensus communis in cognitione accidentalium qualitatum
          et quantitatis materialis, ita se habet ratio in cognitione
          substantialium qualitatum et quantitatis formalis, seruata proportione,
          quod ille sensualiter, haec rationaliter, agit.

          Cheers,
          Steve

          On Monday, April 4, 2005, at 06:59 PM, George Thompson wrote:

          > Asa nisi masa, asa misi masa.
          >
          > [Fellini 8 1/2]
          >
          > or: anima, anima,
          >
          > GT

        • Steve Farmer
          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 4 7:08 PM
            Oops, a typo in the first word -- bad start: it is obviously supposed
            to be 'sicut'.

            > OK, George, since we're playing while testing the system, translate
            > this Latin sentence for me: :^)
            >
            > Sicus se habet sensus communis in cognitione accidentalium qualitatum
            > et quantitatis materialis, ita se habet ratio in cognitione
            > substantialium qualitatum et quantitatis formalis, seruata proportione,
            > quod ille sensualiter, haec rationaliter, agit.
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Steve

          • George Thompson
            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 4 7:43 PM
              I don't know, Steve. Should we make the default language if this list
              Latin, or Sanskrit?

              Or Greek?

              Khairete!

              George
              Oops, a typo in the first word -- bad start: it is obviously supposed
              to be 'sicut'.

              > OK, George, since we're playing while testing the system, translate
              > this Latin sentence for me: :^)
              >
              > Sicus se habet sensus communis in cognitione accidentalium qualitatum
              > et quantitatis materialis, ita se habet ratio in cognitione
              > substantialium qualitatum et quantitatis formalis, seruata proportione,
              > quod ille sensualiter, haec rationaliter, agit.
              >
              > Cheers,
              > Steve

            • John Hill
              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 4 8:06 PM
                Dear colleagues:

                I am looking forward to this new forum and trust it will be both
                constructive and interesting.

                For those of you who don't already know me, I am an independent
                historian particularly interested in the Kushans, the development of
                the Silk Routes, and the early history of Tibet and surrounding
                regions. I would welcome any queries or exchanges with other members
                either on or off line.

                I wish to add my thanks to Michael Witzel for establishing this new group.

                Sincerely,

                John Hill
                Cooktown, Australia.
              • Michael Witzel
                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 4 8:14 PM
                  Well, Steve,
                  I bet the Hebrew text has the plural Elohim for the Latin "translation"
                  into singular Deus...
                  (cannot check now).
                  Which takes us right into the thickets of comparative mythology...
                  MW

                  Michael Witzel
                  Department of Sanskrit and Indian Studies, Harvard University
                  1 Bow Street , Cambridge MA 02138
                  1-617-495 3295 Fax: 496 8571
                  direct line: 496 2990
                  http://witzel@.../~witzel/mwpage.htm

                • Steve Farmer
                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 4 8:16 PM
                    Hi John,

                    It's really good to see you in the group. It may take a few weeks for
                    Michael, George, and I to figure out the management aspects of the List
                    -- and we're just starting to line up members. I expect that there are
                    a number of people in the Warring States Workshop (WSW) who would be
                    interested.

                    To the rest of the early List members: there may be delays initially in
                    getting things posted, since at first we have to set the
                    moderated/unmoderated status of each person one-by-one. We'll get that
                    sorted out in the next week or so...
                    Best,
                    Steve

                    On Monday, April 4, 2005, at 08:06 PM, John Hill wrote:

                    > Dear colleagues:
                    >
                    > I am looking forward to this new forum and trust it will be both
                    > constructive and interesting.
                    >
                    > For those of you who don't already know me, I am an independent
                    > historian particularly interested in the Kushans, the development of
                    > the Silk Routes, and the early history of Tibet and surrounding
                    > regions. I would welcome any queries or exchanges with other members
                    > either on or off line.
                    >
                    > I wish to add my thanks to Michael Witzel for establishing this new
                    > group.
                    >
                    > Sincerely,
                    >
                    > John Hill
                    > Cooktown, Australia.
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Steve Farmer
                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 4 8:18 PM
                      Michael writes:

                      > Well, Steve,
                      > I bet the Hebrew text has the plural Elohim for the Latin "translation"
                      > into singular Deus...
                      > (cannot check now).

                      No need to check: it does.

                      > Which takes us right into the thickets of comparative mythology...
                      > MW

                      I'm looking forward to that: once we have a quorum, you should post
                      your recent paper.

                      Cheers,
                      Steve

                    • John Hill
                      Message 10 of 25 , Apr 4 8:35 PM
                        Hi Steve:

                        Thanks for your welcoming note.

                        I must apologize for not mentioning your name and George Thompson's in my note as well as Michael's. That's the sort of thing that happens when I try to hurry.

                        Cheers and best wishes,

                        John Hill
                        It's really good to see you in the group. It may take a few weeks for
                        Michael, George, and I to figure out the management aspects of the List
                        -- and we're just starting to line up members. I expect that there are
                        a number of people in the Warring States Workshop (WSW) who would be
                        interested.

                        To the rest of the early List members: there may be delays initially in
                        getting things posted, since at first we have to set the
                        moderated/unmoderated status of each person one-by-one. We'll get that
                        sorted out in the next week or so...
                        Best,
                        Steve

                        On Monday, April 4, 2005, at 08:06 PM, John Hill wrote:

                        > Dear colleagues:
                        >
                        > I am looking forward to this new forum and trust it will be both
                        > constructive and interesting.
                        >
                        > For those of you who don't already know me, I am an independent
                        > historian particularly interested in the Kushans, the development of
                        > the Silk Routes, and the early history of Tibet and surrounding
                        > regions. I would welcome any queries or exchanges with other members
                        > either on or off line.
                        >
                        > I wish to add my thanks to Michael Witzel for establishing this new
                        > group.
                        >
                        > Sincerely,
                        >
                        > John Hill
                        > Cooktown, Australia.
                        >

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Steve Farmer
                        Message 11 of 25 , Apr 4 8:39 PM
                          We're all one big anonymous neural network linked by Internet, John.

                          Doesn't the Platonic corpus (Republic) say someplace that "Culture is
                          brains Writ large"? (Well, it should have.)

                          Cheers,
                          Steve

                        • Lars Martin Fosse
                          Message 12 of 25 , Apr 5 1:11 AM
                            And now for a really radical hypothesis:

                            The Aryans were really from Mars!

                            Testing, testing, testing.....

                            Lars Martin

                            From:
                            Dr.art. Lars Martin Fosse
                            Haugerudvn. 76, Leil. 114,
                            0674 Oslo - Norway
                            Phone: +47 22 32 12 19 Fax: +47 850 21 250
                            Mobile phone: +47 90 91 91 45
                            E-mail: lmfosse@...
                            http://www.linguistfinder.com/translators.asp?id=2164

                            _____

                            Let the first message be a test: trying to fix a few technical
                            glitches....

                            Dixitque Deus fiat lux et facta est lux;
                            Et vidit Deus lucem quod esset bona et divisit lucem ac tenebras...

                            Steve

                            _____

                            Yahoo! Groups Links

                            be>

                            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                          • Lars Martin Fosse
                            Message 13 of 25 , Apr 5 1:17 AM
                              Steve,

                              as far as I am concerned the system works very well. My nonsense message got
                              through and back to me in less than five minutes.

                              Lars Martin

                              From:

                            • naliboki@gmail.com
                              Message 14 of 25 , Apr 5 1:31 AM
                                Can you see CE "ogonki"?

                                ą ę ć ż ź ł ń

                                In my browser (Opera) I use MS Arial Unicode as my default font.

                                Regards,

                                Artur Karp
                              • Anthony Appleyard
                                Message 15 of 25 , Apr 5 2:50 AM
                                  --- In Indo-Eurasian_research@yahoogroups.com, <naliboki@g...> wrote:
                                  > Can you see CE "ogonki"?
                                  > ± ê æ ¿ ¼ ³ ñ
                                  > In my browser (Opera) I use MS Arial Unicode as my default font.
                                  > Regards, Artur Karp

                                  I have Windows 98 and Internet Explorer. What I see is: plusorminus e-
                                  circumflex ae-diaeresis turned-questionmark one-quarter superscript-3 n-
                                  tilde
                                • Steve Farmer
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Apr 5 5:35 AM
                                    Actually, Lars Martin, we'll have to discuss Mark Kenoyer's public
                                    claims about the Aryans once the List gets off its feet -- almost as
                                    incredible.

                                    Steve

                                    On Tuesday, April 5, 2005, at 01:11 AM, Lars Martin Fosse wrote:

                                    > And now for a really radical hypothesis:
                                    >
                                    > The Aryans were really from Mars!
                                    >
                                    > Testing, testing, testing.....
                                    >
                                    > Lars Martin
                                    >
                                    > From:
                                    > Dr.art. Lars Martin Fosse
                                    > Haugerudvn. 76, Leil. 114,
                                    > 0674 Oslo - Norway
                                    > Phone: +47 22 32 12 19 Fax: +47 850 21 250
                                    > Mobile phone: +47 90 91 91 45
                                    > E-mail: lmfosse@...
                                    > http://www.linguistfinder.com/translators.asp?id=2164

                                  • Ram Varmha

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Apr 5 12:51 PM
                                        On Apr 5, 2005 11:50 AM, Anthony Appleyard <a.appleyard@...> wrote:

                                        > --- In Indo-Eurasian_research@yahoogroups.com,
                                        > <naliboki@g...> wrote:
                                        > > Can you see CE "ogonki"?
                                        > > ± ê æ ¿ ¼ ³ ñ
                                        > > In my browser (Opera) I use MS Arial Unicode as my default font.
                                        > > Regards, Artur Karp
                                        >
                                        > I have Windows 98 and Internet Explorer. What I see is: plusorminus e-
                                        > circumflex ae-diaeresis turned-questionmark one-quarter superscript-3 n-
                                        > tilde

                                        Dear List Members,

                                        I am just curious how yahoo.com behaves re: letters with diacritics.
                                        Polish "ogonki" is only one example of them. I believe there must be
                                        some way of making scientific transliterations show themselves on our
                                        screens without changing into ±ê濼³ - or some such thing. MS Arial
                                        Unicode as default font in my browser works with me fine. Has anyone
                                        had any experience in using Arial (or other) Unicode font in their
                                        browsers?

                                        Regards,

                                        Artur Karp
                                      • vardiss
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Apr 5 6:35 PM
                                          Do you have any references for the ideas of Mark Kenoyer you are
                                          referring to so I can get a head start on the reading "homework"? :-)

                                          Best,

                                          Dean Anderson
                                          Director, South Asia
                                          East West Cultural Institute
                                          (formerly South and Central Asia Research Institute)
                                          Austin-San Antonio, Texas

                                          --- In Indo-Eurasian_research@yahoogroups.com, Steve Farmer <saf@s...>
                                          wrote:
                                          > Actually, Lars Martin, we'll have to discuss Mark Kenoyer's public
                                          > claims about the Aryans once the List gets off its feet -- almost as
                                          > incredible.
                                          >
                                          > Steve
                                        • vardiss
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Apr 5 6:47 PM
                                            --- In Indo-Eurasian_research@yahoogroups.com, "Lars Martin Fosse"
                                            <lmfosse@c...> wrote:
                                            > And now for a really radical hypothesis:
                                            >
                                            > The Aryans were really from Mars!
                                            >
                                            > Testing, testing, testing.....
                                            >
                                            > Lars Martin

                                            Well, apparently you haven't seen the latest evidence of Aryan gods
                                            on Mars. ;-) Amazingly, the picture comes from the NASA web site. In
                                            spite of other webs sites calling it "what NASA doesn't want you to
                                            know."

                                            http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2001/ast24may_1.htm

                                            Another site has another Mars face: this one is a happy face!

                                            http://library.thinkquest.org/~6427/faces.htm

                                            I think it is incumbent on us as experts to determine which Aryan
                                            deity this represents. Or perhaps it's a Harappan "priest-king"?

                                            Dean
                                          • Steve Farmer
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Apr 5 7:05 PM
                                              Oh my, Dean, it is far too early in the List history to go into this
                                              one -- tossed out in a message to test the system! We need at least a
                                              week before the words "Aryans" and "Indus Valley" show up in the same
                                              sentence, in any event. :^)

                                              There is nothing in print, in any event -- just some interesting if odd
                                              comments in public talks (e.g., Mark's lecture in Berkeley earlier this
                                              year).

                                              Once we have some sort of quorum (we have had 100+ sign ups in the
                                              first day), by next week, when Michael is no longer traveling, there
                                              will be time for this too.

                                              Glad to see you on the List, BTW!

                                              Cheers,
                                              Steve

                                              On Tuesday, April 5, 2005, at 06:35 PM, vardiss wrote:

                                              > Do you have any references for the ideas of Mark Kenoyer you are
                                              > referring to so I can get a head start on the reading "homework"? :-)
                                              >
                                              > Best,
                                              >
                                              > Dean Anderson
                                              > Director, South Asia
                                              > East West Cultural Institute
                                              > (formerly South and Central Asia Research Institute)
                                              > Austin-San Antonio, Texas
                                              >
                                              > --- In Indo-Eurasian_research@yahoogroups.com, Steve Farmer <saf@s...>
                                              > wrote:

                                              >> Actually, Lars Martin, we'll have to discuss Mark Kenoyer's public
                                              >> claims about the Aryans once the List gets off its feet -- almost as
                                              >> incredible.
                                              >>
                                              >> Steve

                                            • vardiss
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Apr 5 7:40 PM
                                                Hehe, it's a good thing you warned me off. This post was just a
                                                request for info, but I was about to kick things off with a real
                                                post about the archaeology and linguistics of the Indo-Iranians and
                                                the BMAC.

                                                I'll hold my horses for a short while then. I wondered about this
                                                because I know Michael is out of town right now.

                                                I'm so happy y'all created this list. There is a real need for a
                                                place for lively discussion between well-informed people about the
                                                gnarly issues that fact our disciplines. It is the only way that
                                                rapid progress can be made, imho.

                                                Dean

                                                <saf@s...> wrote:
                                                > Oh my, Dean, it is far too early in the List history to go into
                                                this
                                                > one -- tossed out in a message to test the system! We need at
                                                least a
                                                > week before the words "Aryans" and "Indus Valley" show up in the
                                                same
                                                > sentence, in any event. :^)
                                                >
                                                > There is nothing in print, in any event -- just some interesting
                                                if odd
                                                > comments in public talks (e.g., Mark's lecture in Berkeley earlier
                                                this
                                                > year).
                                                >
                                                > Once we have some sort of quorum (we have had 100+ sign ups in the
                                                > first day), by next week, when Michael is no longer traveling,
                                                there
                                                > will be time for this too.
                                                >
                                                > Glad to see you on the List, BTW!
                                                >
                                                > Cheers,
                                                > Steve
                                                >
                                                > On Tuesday, April 5, 2005, at 06:35 PM, vardiss wrote:
                                                >
                                                > > Do you have any references for the ideas of Mark Kenoyer you are
                                                > > referring to so I can get a head start on the
                                                reading "homework"? :-)

                                                > > Best,
                                                > >
                                                > > Dean Anderson
                                                > > Director, South Asia
                                                > > East West Cultural Institute
                                                > > (formerly South and Central Asia Research Institute)
                                                > > Austin-San Antonio, Texas
                                                > >
                                                > > --- In Indo-Eurasian_research@yahoogroups.com, Steve Farmer
                                                <saf@s...>
                                                > > wrote:
                                                >
                                                > >> Actually, Lars Martin, we'll have to discuss Mark Kenoyer's
                                                public
                                                > >> claims about the Aryans once the List gets off its feet --
                                                almost as
                                                > >> incredible.
                                                > >>
                                                > >> Steve

                                              • Lars Martin Fosse
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Apr 6 1:01 AM
                                                  A truly amazing picture! However, I strongly suspect that this is no Aryan,
                                                  or at the best a watered down one. The vapid expression on the face and the
                                                  desperately searching eyes clearly identifies a Norwegian holiday maker who
                                                  has lost his way trying to reach Italy. An incomplete knowledge of the world
                                                  and a search for extreme nature is normal for Norwegians, so we should not
                                                  be surprised at this deviation from the standard course.

                                                  Lars Martin

                                                  From:
                                                  Dr.art. Lars Martin Fosse
                                                  Haugerudvn. 76, Leil. 114,
                                                  0674 Oslo - Norway
                                                  Phone: +47 22 32 12 19 Fax: +47 850 21 250
                                                  Mobile phone: +47 90 91 91 45
                                                  E-mail: lmfosse@...
                                                  http://www.linguistfinder.com/translators.asp?id=2164

                                                  _____

                                                  > And now for a really radical hypothesis:
                                                  >
                                                  > The Aryans were really from Mars!
                                                  >
                                                  > Testing, testing, testing.....
                                                  >
                                                  > Lars Martin

                                                  Well, apparently you haven't seen the latest evidence of Aryan gods
                                                  on Mars. ;-) Amazingly, the picture comes from the NASA web site. In
                                                  spite of other webs sites calling it "what NASA doesn't want you to
                                                  know."

                                                  http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2001/ast24may_1.htm

                                                  Another site has another Mars face: this one is a happy face!

                                                  http://library.thinkquest.org/~6427/faces.htm

                                                  I think it is incumbent on us as experts to determine which Aryan
                                                  deity this represents. Or perhaps it's a Harappan "priest-king"?

                                                  Dean

                                                  _____

                                                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                                                  be>

                                                  <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                                                • Francesco Brighenti
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Apr 6 2:27 AM
                                                    --- In Indo-Eurasian_research@yahoogroups.com, "vardiss"
                                                    <dean_anderson@s...> wrote:

                                                    > Well, apparently you haven't seen the latest evidence of Aryan
                                                    gods > on Mars. ;-) Amazingly, the picture comes from the NASA web
                                                    site. In > spite of other webs sites calling it "what NASA doesn't
                                                    want you to > know."

                                                    > http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2001/ast24may_1.htm

                                                    To this one could add that 'Eurocentric scholars" have always denied
                                                    the world the right to know that the ancient Aryans of South Asia
                                                    mastered aircraft and spacecraft construction technologies, which
                                                    explains why we find their gods depicted on the surface of Mars in
                                                    gigantic proportions :^) -- if you don't believe that, check out

                                                    http://www.atributetohinduism.com/Vimanas.htm

                                                    Hope to learn a great deal from the discussions in this long-waited
                                                    new group.

                                                    Francesco Brighenti
                                                    VAIS -- Venetian Academy of Indian Studies
                                                    Venice, Italy
                                                  • Robert Zydenbos
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Apr 8 11:56 AM
                                                      --- In Indo-Eurasian_research@yahoogroups.com, "Francesco Brighenti"
                                                      <frabrig@y...> wrote:

                                                      > To this one could add that 'Eurocentric scholars" have always
                                                      denied
                                                      > the world the right to know that the ancient Aryans of South Asia
                                                      > mastered aircraft and spacecraft construction technologies, which
                                                      > explains why we find their gods depicted on the surface of Mars in
                                                      > gigantic proportions :^) -- if you don't believe that, check out
                                                      >
                                                      > http://www.atributetohinduism.com/Vimanas.htm

                                                      ...where we read: "G. R. Josyer is the director of the International
                                                      Academy of Sanskrit Investigation, located in Mysore", who published a
                                                      book on vimanas in 1979. Years back I enquired about the book and its
                                                      author at the Oriental Research Institute (part of the University of
                                                      Mysore). A copy of the book had long disappeared from the library, and
                                                      nobody took interest in procuring a new one, and that "International
                                                      Academy", of which I had till then never heard, was just part of what
                                                      everybody in the institute considered a practical joke.

                                                      So: don't believe just each and every thing that appears on the
                                                      Disinformation Highway, even if the web page is prettily illustrated.

                                                      RZ
                                                      Munich University