alphabet and caste

  • Victor Mair
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2006
      Dear All,

      In our discussions of the origins of the Indian alphabet and the
      phological knowledge it embodies, I wonder if it might be useful to
      ponder the fact that the letters are called __varn.a__ ("color")?

      I was prompted to think of this by the recent discussions of caste on
      this List, since caste is also called __varn.a__.

      What do the letters of the alphabet and caste share that they both
      should be styled __varn.a__?

      Best,

      Victor