Re: Alphasyllabaries, phonology, etc. (correction)

  • Madhav M. Deshpande
    Message 1 of 31 , Sep 1, 2005
      Just a correction in my statement about bhAguri: al-lopa in bhAguri's statement
      should be read at+lopa, and not as containing the pratyAhAra aL. This is what
      happens when a grammarian is too sleepy while typing an email.

      --- In Indo-Eurasian_research@yahoogroups.com, "Madhav M. Deshpande"

    • Madhav M. Deshpande
      Message 31 of 31 , Sep 9, 2005
        Dear Nath Rao,

        That is indeed the case, but then how do we interpret Katyayana's vArtika "yavanAl
        lipyAm". P.4.1.49 (indra-varuNa-bhava-zarva-rudra-mRDa-hima-araNya-yava-
        yavana-mAtula-AcAryANAm Anuk" has some clear, and other unclear, cases. By
        allowing, for example, indrANI for Indra's wife, the rule seem's to be blocking the
        derivation of indrA. However, the tradition tells us that while AcAryANI refers to the
        teacher's wife, for a female teacher the word AcAryA applies. I have a feeling that by
        the vArtika "yavanAl lipyAm", KAtyAyana is providing a similar clarification: yavanAnI
        refers to the script of the Yavanas, while a female Yavana can then be referred to as a
        YavanI. Now what would allow YavanI, rather than yavanA? That depends on how one
        derives the word yavana within Sanskrit. The traditional way of deriving the word
        yavana from the root yu by adding the affix -ana (= lyuT) makes it possible to predict
        yavanI, rather than yavanA. The marker T of the affix lyuT is explicitly listed in P. 4.1.
        15 (TiDDhANa...). The traditional derivation is seen in the ZabdastomamahAnidhi (p.
        320) of Taranatha Tarkavachaspati Bhattacharya, 3rd printing, Calcutta, 1893. Of
        course this does not provide 100 percent certainty about what Panini may have
        intended, but I would put my money on yavanI for Yavana woman and YavanAnI for the
        Yavana script.

        Madhav Deshpande