Re: [Indo-Eurasia] So-called "Tocharian C" (as evidenced in Prakrit texts from Loulan)?

  • James Ward
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 9, 2013
      Hi Stewart,

      All I could find at the moment is a footnote to the Introduction of Douglas Q. Adams, _Tocharian Historical Phonology and Morphology_ (note 4, page 7):

      "In the Southwestern part of the Tarim Basin, in the ancient kingdom of Lou-lan or Kroraina, there are traces, in the form of loanwords and proper names, of another language closely related to Tocharian A and B (Burrow, 1935)."

      The reference is to T. Burrow, "Tokharian Elements in the Kharosthī Documents from Chinese Turkestan," _Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society, 1935, pp. 667-675.

      That might be enough to help a little for now, and if I come up with anything else, I'll forward it along.

      Best wishes,

      James Ward

      On Mar 9, 2013, at 6:57 AM, Stewart Felker wrote:

      > Adams, in the Encyclopedia of Indo-European Culture, mentions the
      > likelihood of a third Tocharian language, based on the evidence of
      > loanwords and other things in the Kharosthi Prakrit texts of Loulan.
      > I've been looking for more information about this, but keep striking
      > out - the only thing I've found so far is an unpublished conference
      > paper called "'Tocharian C': again on the question of Tocharian and
      > pseudo-Tocharian elements in Kroraina Prakrit."
      >
      > Can anyone point me in the right direction on this?
      >
      > Stewart Felker
      > University of Memphis
    • hwhatting
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 11, 2013
        Dear Stewart,

        In an article about Tocharian posted to this list in 2009 by Václav Blažek and Michael Schwarz a few words and sources for Tocharian C are mentioned:
        http://www.safarmer.com/Indo-Eurasian/Tocharians2009.pdf
        I can't say whether this is more than you have got already.
        Best regards,
        Hans-Werner Hatting