So-called "Tocharian C" (as evidenced in Prakrit texts from Loulan)?

  • Stewart Felker
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 9, 2013
      Adams, in the Encyclopedia of Indo-European Culture, mentions the
      likelihood of a third Tocharian language, based on the evidence of
      loanwords and other things in the Kharosthi Prakrit texts of Loulan.
      I've been looking for more information about this, but keep striking
      out - the only thing I've found so far is an unpublished conference
      paper called "'Tocharian C': again on the question of Tocharian and
      pseudo-Tocharian elements in Kroraina Prakrit."

      Can anyone point me in the right direction on this?

      Stewart Felker
      University of Memphis
    • James Ward
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 9, 2013
        Hi Stewart,

        All I could find at the moment is a footnote to the Introduction of Douglas Q. Adams, _Tocharian Historical Phonology and Morphology_ (note 4, page 7):

        "In the Southwestern part of the Tarim Basin, in the ancient kingdom of Lou-lan or Kroraina, there are traces, in the form of loanwords and proper names, of another language closely related to Tocharian A and B (Burrow, 1935)."

        The reference is to T. Burrow, "Tokharian Elements in the Kharosthī Documents from Chinese Turkestan," _Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society, 1935, pp. 667-675.

        That might be enough to help a little for now, and if I come up with anything else, I'll forward it along.

        Best wishes,

        James Ward

        On Mar 9, 2013, at 6:57 AM, Stewart Felker wrote:

        > Adams, in the Encyclopedia of Indo-European Culture, mentions the
        > likelihood of a third Tocharian language, based on the evidence of
        > loanwords and other things in the Kharosthi Prakrit texts of Loulan.
        > I've been looking for more information about this, but keep striking
        > out - the only thing I've found so far is an unpublished conference
        > paper called "'Tocharian C': again on the question of Tocharian and
        > pseudo-Tocharian elements in Kroraina Prakrit."
        >
        > Can anyone point me in the right direction on this?
        >
        > Stewart Felker
        > University of Memphis
      • hwhatting
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 11, 2013
          Dear Stewart,

          In an article about Tocharian posted to this list in 2009 by Václav Blažek and Michael Schwarz a few words and sources for Tocharian C are mentioned:
          http://www.safarmer.com/Indo-Eurasian/Tocharians2009.pdf
          I can't say whether this is more than you have got already.
          Best regards,
          Hans-Werner Hatting