Zoroastrian "triads"

  • Trudy Kawami
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 7, 2012
      This was posted on the ANE-2 list, but actually is more relevant here as ANE's terminus is the coming of Islam. As I understand it, these "triads" may be as much an artifact of later scholarly speculation as anything. Certainly none of the three names occur as any sort of triad in the earliest (Achaemenid) inscriptions.

      [Beyond posting any answers to the list - SF] please also reply to the writer: Joseph P. Elacqua at joseph.elacqua@....

      [Forwarded post]

      Hello all.

      My apologies to everyone in advance if this query doesn't expressly
      fit the concerns of the mailing list.

      I have recently found myself doing a bit of work on certain early
      Zoroastrian deities. This is a bit outside my content area, so I'm
      much less familiar with current studies in Zoroastrianism than I am
      with those centered on East Asia. However, I've checked several
      studies and cannot seem to find an answer to my query, hence resorting
      to the list.

      My question is this: Does anyone know around what period we can find
      the earliest evidence of the "triad" of Mithra, Rashnu, and Sraosha
      and what that evidence is? If there is a citation in a certain
      scripture or other archaeological evidence, I greatly appreciate more
      information regarding it. If there is evidence of a "triad" that
      predates this one, I'd love to hear about it too. Unfortunately, I am
      not at all familiar with the relevant languages, so I'd be primarily
      looking for citations in English. I should also add that if it makes
      a difference, I am particularly focused on Rashnu rather than the
      other two gods.

      My apologies again if a Zoroastrianism query doesn't quite fit the
      "Ancient Near East" topic. I've seen it mentioned on the list in
      passing, but not yet as the main subject of a query.

      Thanks for your time!

      Joseph P. Elacqua
      Mohawk Valley Community College